Alternative to SawStop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It says that it can stop a blade in 1/8 of a second without damage. I am assuming that means no damage to the blade. I wonder how it senses your hand in the proximit of the blade and differentiates between a human and piece of oak. Interesting.

Pete

I'm not sure that it really differentiates between flesh and wood. Looks to me like the sensors react to anything that is in the "danger zone". I guess there's no real need to differentiate a finger from a plank of wood if the saw doesn't let either get near the blade.

Ernie

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fantastic. :icon_thum
I can see pluses and minuses over the SS system. I do believe this is the 'better mousetrap'. I'm hoping the manufacturers whose logos he used are on board with this product as a retrofit or as a new tool option. Can't wait to see one 'in the flesh'.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
In the fine print there are lots of disclaimers on that site saying this is a prototype and no major manufacturers have signed on yet. Do they even have a patent?

It has to be able diferentiate between wood and flesh. How would you be able to cut wood with it on the saw?

Now...get one for my Bandsaw and Jointer and I'll be happy!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It has to be able diferentiate between wood and flesh. How would you be able to cut wood with it on the saw?

I assumed the sensors are in the clear saw blade hood and would react to anything above the top surface of the wood being cut. No need to sensor fingers underneath the wood unless someone has a very unusual way of feeding wood into the blade.:gar-La;If so, they'll only do it once.

Ernie

FlyingRon

Ron
I assumed the sensors are in the clear saw blade hood and would react to anything above the top surface of the wood being cut. No need to sensor fingers underneath the wood unless someone has a very unusual way of feeding wood into the blade.:gar-La;If so, they'll only do it once.

Ernie

So you have to set this oversized and clunky suction hood/blade guard to the approximate exact height of the stock being cut so that the operator's hand would contact it before it got to the blade. Assumes:

1. You can do the cut you're trying to do with that oversized hood in place.
2. That you're not cutting stock more than finger thickness and you have a screw up where your hand slides in flat on the table rather than the stock.

Looks like it will be continually in the way for a lot of cuts. Leading to the more likelihood (which is the bane of all the TS safety features other than the SawStop one) that someone will just remove the hood/splitter/bladeguard....

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
So you have to set this oversized and clunky suction hood/blade guard to the approximate exact height of the stock being cut so that the operator's hand would contact it before it got to the blade. Assumes:

1. You can do the cut you're trying to do with that oversized hood in place.
2. That you're not cutting stock more than finger thickness and you have a screw up where your hand slides in flat on the table rather than the stock.

Looks like it will be continually in the way for a lot of cuts. Leading to the more likelihood (which is the bane of all the TS safety features other than the SawStop one) that someone will just remove the hood/splitter/bladeguard....

I assume the hood would be spring loaded and adjust to the stock thickness. Then again, there is probably no one on the planet less qualified to talk about the design of this or any other electrical device - I need to consult my notes to figure out which way to screw a light bulb in.:wsmile:

Ernie

Don Alexander

New User
Don
looks like an interesting idea , having said that the only 100% sure method for not having a TS accident is never using it :rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks interesting. I wonder what the price would be if it comes out. :eusa_thin I like the safety aspects and the fact that you can just cut the saw back on after it stops instead of having it repaired. My only gripe with it is I'm not a big fan of blade guards on table saws. Should be interesting to see what happens with this though.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Impressive at first look, seriously. Necessity being the mother of invention, as Joe said, you had to know someone would try to make improvements once Sawstop opened the door. As true as that is, I'll go out on a limb and say the Whirlwind won't be the last solution either, as impressive as it appears. What a country!!
Russ

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I like the fact you don't have to replace the blade and get a replacement blade stop. Hope he succeeds. Jim

manfre

New User
Manfre

Those are my thoughts.

I assume the hood would be spring loaded and adjust to the stock thickness. Then again, there is probably no one on the planet less qualified to talk about the design of this or any other electrical device - I need to consult my notes to figure out which way to screw a light bulb in.:wsmile:

Ernie

Which direction do your notes say to rotate the ladder? :rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have replied to a request for membership from the inventor of this product. I have offered membership to him. As soon as he replies to my email he will be able to answer your questions.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
I have replied to a request for membership from the inventor of this product. I have offered membership to him. As soon as he replies to my email he will be able to answer your questions.
Great idea, since this is certainly a skill/asset otherwise not held by our (now >5000) members.

As a huge fan of my SawStop, I'd say any kind of competition in the safety field is a good thing. I'd presume like any prototype the finished model would be more attractive and functional, especially w-ability to retrofit, AND no need to replace blade and cartridge.

Thanks for the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS