Almost Really Hurt Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am making a circular table for LOML. She is going to use it on our screened in porch. Since she is going to paint it, I am making in out pof poplar. I glued up the boards and laid the top out. I set up my router-circle jig and attached my PC router with a straight bit. After carefully making a first shallow pass I lowered the bit a little and started a second pass.

I noticed that the cut wasn ot as clean so I shut the router off. It was then that I noticed that the bit was loose. Not thinking I picked up the bit with my left hand between the thumb and forefinger. Guess what happened....I got BURNED :kamahlitu!! The router collet spins at 12000 RPM. With that rubbing against the bit shaft the metal was HOT!! It hurt for a day, but not real visual damage. I dropped it right quick! Today everything is fine.

Just thought I would pass on my lapse as a warning so no one else has to experience it too. Next time I am buying a Router-Stop. :rotflm:

Doug

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Didn't take you long to look at that bit , did it?:rotflm:

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Not sure Router-stop would have helped here, but I do think a glove might help!~ :rotflm:

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious ... had posts with this title ... makes you wonder what's next.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Guess what! Must be a bad week for these momentary lapse's :wsmile:(old age is my excuse:gar-La;)

I was running my new Bosch jigsaw through some 5/4 oak and noticed it starting to smoke.:elvis: I thought it was time for a blade change:wconfused:. Dang those blades get hot! I've got a good burn blister on my pointer!!:wrolleyes:

Next time .............I'll wait for the blade to cool! Impatient woodworker syndrome!

Heal well!

Wayne

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am making a circular table for LOML. She is going to use it on our screened in porch. Since she is going to paint it, I am making in out pof poplar. I glued up the boards and laid the top out. I set up my router-circle jig and attached my PC router with a straight bit. After carefully making a first shallow pass I lowered the bit a little and started a second pass.

I noticed that the cut wasn ot as clean so I shut the router off. It was then that I noticed that the bit was loose. Not thinking I picked up the bit with my left hand between the thumb and forefinger. Guess what happened....I got BURNED :kamahlitu!! The router collet spins at 12000 RPM. With that rubbing against the bit shaft the metal was HOT!! It hurt for a day, but not real visual damage. I dropped it right quick! Today everything is fine.

Just thought I would pass on my lapse as a warning so no one else has to experience it too. Next time I am buying a Router-Stop. :rotflm:

Doug

BTDT!!! Twice!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now why can't I read about these types of things BEFORE I do it myself??
Experience: that what you get, right after you needed it.

And the corollary - Experience: that which helps you recognize you made the same mistake again.

Glad to hear you're OK, and the damage was minor. Alan - we need a helium-cooled router system!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Glad to hear it was nothing serious. So you know, drill bits can cause the same experience. DAMHIKT ;-)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Doug,
It may be time to pull out the hockey gloves :mrgreen:
Glad you are ok, we can't be reminded too often of many ways to inflict pain upon ourselves. Another BTDT!

Roger

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Experience: learning from your own mistakes

Knowledge: learning from the mistakes of others

Wisdom: knowing the difference:gar-Bi

Glad you're OK. Similar experience years ago with a hydraulic fitting & acetylene torch!:swoon:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I had a similar experience with a Forstner bit. In retrospect, I am not sure what my thought process was. I guess I was checking to see if maybe the smoke had been trapped in the wood and drilling the hole had simply released it. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

M

McRabbet

I trust you all won't mind that I moved this to the Safety & Health Forum.

:kamahlitu Hot Bits are NOT touchable! They don't need to be glowing red, either! Glad you weren't burned by it, but obviously, you learned a clear lesson!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Need to get you a McDs cup and wrap that router. CAUTION CONTENTS ARE HOT!!!!!!!!!!:rotflm::rotflm: Glad to hear your ok. Just glad the bit didn't fly out.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Like they used to tell me when I was a kid - don't do that again.

The old blowtorches, the type that took white gas, and used a hand pump, had a semi-circular hook on top, to hold the old style plumber soldering irons for heating. I only tried to turn the hook once, while the torch was burning. Nobody around to tell me not to do that again - but I never did on my own. The scorch mark eventually wore off and the fingerprints eventually recovered too.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTDT too! 'Some folks' that do this often keep an Aloe plant in their shop. Break off a piece & squeeze the juice onto the burn. 'I'm told' it's a little slimy but it works great!:gar-Bi

J

jeff...

I keep telling my wife if there is no blood it wasn't really that good of a project. You mean to tell me you guys don't bleed a little every now and then? Be honest now... sharp tools and flesh don't mix well :icon_scra

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds like a great law suit! They obviously failed to put the warning label on the bit that would have surely prevented you from burning yourself.:rolleyes: That legal council was given pro bono, you can compensate me with a nice Sawstop with your millions of winnings!:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS