Aligning Casters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Anybody here have a tip/trick, or other clever way to make sure that all four casters on a roll around cabinet are properly aligned?

Or is it simply measuring twice with a good square and drilling once?

I've got the standard two fixed and two swivel casters - 4 inch, 330 lb solid rubber from HF.

No worries, I will post pictures once I start construction.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Idea ... cut a board with two square sides as a spaced between them (assuming the casters are the square base screw-in type. Then just use the board to ensure alignment (like a fence)

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I've found that as long as you get the 2 fixed casters aligned to the same straight edge you will be all set. The swivels should be just as close as you can without making yourself crazy. I've made myself crazy trying to get everything exact and also found that it does not really matter.
Steve

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Will it ever have to go over 60 mph? If not, visual alignment should be close enough, or you can use a square and make them right angles to the edge of the base.

Charley

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don,
As long asw you don't mount the fixed wheels catty cornered:gar-La; I don't see a problem. As Charles said Eye 'em up or use a straight edge and I'm sure it will all work out.

Good Luck.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Charley, I like the way you're thinking.

Hopefully, the cabinet will never approach 60 mph. Although, I did paint a racing stripe on my scroll saw stand.

But I'm the kind of person that hates wrestling a wonky shopping cart, so I thought I'd ask about aligning the wheels in here. As usual, it's brought some good information.

M

McRabbet

Assuming you followed JimmyC's advice on positioning, if you still find a free-floating caster, just use flat washers behind the high one to drop it into the same plane as the thers. Another option is to use three casters which will guarantee they are in one plane (but you sacrifice stability, which is why I don't care for 3-wheeled mobile bases).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Assuming you followed JimmyC's advice on positioning, if you still find a free-floating caster, just use flat washers behind the high one to drop it into the same plane as the thers. Another option is to use three casters which will guarantee they are in one plane (but you sacrifice stability, which is why I don't care for 3-wheeled mobile bases).

I agree on the three wheeled stand for stability, but I like the use of three legs on workstools for the reason stated above.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors