Air filter opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have decided that it is time to get an air filter to help reduce the dust in my shop. I use a dust collector, but the fine dust that escapes it is starting to become a problem. I have noticed that I am getting more frequent sinus infections, and my wife says I snore more than I used to :dontknow:

I have done a little research into sizing and placement of the unit. I am leaning toward the Jet AFS 1000B as it is in my meager budget range and seems to have the CFM to handle my shop size.

708620B_main

My shop is approx. 20' x 25' x 8' so I should have at least 500 CFM.

Does anyone have any opinions on other models, or this one or recommendations for other systems?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Dave:)

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Dave,

I have the Jet Model AFS-1000B and it came with a remote control and timer for its three speeds (550, 702 and 1044 CFM). LOML found it for me on Amazon at a special price of $179.00 w/free shipping. (I'd post a listing on www.frozenwarrior.com and see what comes up...you can also buy at its regular price and frozenwarrior will track for any changes)

My shop is 24' X 24' x 9.5 and it does a real good job of keeping the fine dust down to a bare min.

Dan C.

newtonc

New User
jak
I purchased the Jet in October.It was soon after moving in to our new home here in NC.I do not recall all the specs that led me to buy it,my memory fades after 2 weeks,but it is worth it.I just got a dust collector about a month ago...so for about 6 months I was using the Jet air filter with just a shop vac.And even under those circumstances,it eliminated having a film of saw dust on the other side of the shop after running some machines.
My shop is about 1500 sqft.It handles it very well.I do have all the machines in one area,and the filter is located in that area.And I think it was one of the wisest purchases I ever made.It is what led me to the point to break down and buy a dust collector at last.I realized what I had been missing.Good air filtration.It's unfortunate...the filter and dust collector should be the first things purchased.But with myself and I'm sure most others,it is the last.
It has the remote included.And a timer shut off.Noise is always complained about when it comes to these.I usually have it on low,and it is no louder than an AC on low.And when I turn on a machine I pump it up to high,and yes it's louder,but with a machine running I'm always wearing ear protection anyway.So I don't see noise as an issue.And then I would turn it back down after it clears.
BUT,
I will add I like "white noise".We have air filters running in every bedroom and living area of our home.So I am biased when it comes to noise.My wife is a Pharmacutical Engineer,and in to eccentric health habits.And,I never minded the sound of an air conditioner...Hi or Low.I have a dehumidifier going 24/7 in my shop,I turn on the Jet air filter and the radio as soon as I enter the shop.So noise has never bothered me.I find all that humming comforting.
With any of the air filters,I would discard the disposable outer filter that comes with it and get the washable one.Because I can fill those up quick.
So if you aren't into "white noise" it will take some getting used to.But I would still tell you to get it.It's a health thing.And the Jet is well worth it.I got mine on Amazon.At the time it was free shipping and less than $200,not sure if it still is.
Keep in mind one thing,the CFM ratings ALL the manufacturers list is running it without filters.Just a heads up.
One last note...I will add another one to my shop in the next year.You can never have enough clean air.
I'm sorry,I don't know how to reply in a shorter manner.

I hope that this is some help to you.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, on the snoring. Quickest way to slow down snoring is to lose weight. Second choice is to have a sleep study done, and then get a "Snore Master" aka a cpap machine. My wife loves mine!

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Dave,

I have had the JDS 1000 for several years now, and it does a very good job. I got a deal on it from Amazon, because it was the last model before they put the remote /timer on them. I have it plug to a dedicated outlet that is controled by a 2hr timer. I wired like that so I could let it run after I leave the shop and know that it will shut off by itself.

I really don't think you would go wrong with any make. I would just find the best deal, and go with that.

I would reccomend getting the washable/useable outer filter. You keep that washed and cleaned out about every 2 months, and the inner pocket filter cleaned, and it will make a world of difference.

Here's a good tip.....buy a cheap crevis wand for your shop vac, bore 1/4" holes on the side of it, and use that to clean the inner pocket filter. Because they can be a real PITA to clean.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
One of the magazines did a comparison recently and a box fan with a high quality HVAC filter taped to it was pretty close in performance to the rest of the purpose built machines. My shop is much improved since I started using my homemade filter sandwich attached to the portable A/C unit.

DavidF

New User
David
I have the jet model with the remote, 3 speeds and timer and use it all the time when I am making dust. The non cleanable outer filter is cleanable if you're as cheap as I am..........

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here's some info that may be helpful.

The two most important criteria for an air cleaner are the CFM and the filters. You want a CFM factor that will clean the size of your shop and a filter that removes the particle size that you are concerned about.

To determine the size or required air flow, use this formula: Volume of your shop (Length x width x Height) times Number of air changes per hour (typically 6 - 8 ) divided by 60. This will give you an answer in Cubic Feet per Minute which is how air cleaners are measured. MOST AIR CLEANER MANUFACTURERS RATE THE CFM OF THE FAN ONLY, but there are losses due to the filters. If you are building your own or if the air cleaner you are purchasing rates only the fan, figure you will lose about 25 - 40% for filtering losses.

As important as the air cleaner size is how and where you mount it. Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6' or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling). Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall.

The exhaust is the largest determiner of the circulation pattern. You are trying to encourage circulation parallel to the floor/ceiling so ceiling mounting is not recommended. Use a smoke stick (or a cigar) to observe and maximize circulation. Use a secondary fan to direct air to the intake if necessary. Also, consider that a standard 24" floor fan moves a lot of air and, in some shops, just positioning it in a doorway with a window or other door open can accomplish as much or more than an air cleaner. It's all in the circulation patterns.

The exhaust is the clean air so that is where you want to position yourself. Do not place the air cleaner over the a dust producer. That will guarantee that the operator will be in direct line between the dust producer and the air cleaner. The operator wants to be in the clean air stream. If the dust has to pass your nose to get to the air cleaner, you get no benefits. If you have an odd shaped shop, two smaller units may be better than one large one.

DO NOT RELY ON A AIR CLEANER TO ACT AS A DUST COLLECTOR. The purpose of and air cleaner is to keep airborne dust in suspension and reduce airborne dust as quickly as possible AFTER THE DUST PRODUCER HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.

Finally, if you are looking for health benefits, you will not find any air cleaner manufacturer that makes health claims because there are few health benefits. CATCHING DUST AT IT'S SOURCE IS THE BEST LONG TERM GOAL. Rick Peters', author of "Controlling Dust in the Workshop", makes the point that spending your money getting the dust at its source is a better investment than trying to capture it after it is already airborne.

A good NIOSH approved respirator is the only sure fire way to deal with health issues.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Howard, that posting of yours, I found it on another site, was the best information I have found in determining size and placement of the air filter system. You have a knack for stating things in plain English that are easy to understand.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, on the snoring. Quickest way to slow down snoring is to lose weight.
So what are you trying to say here :dontknow: :dontknow: I'm not getting fat, I am working on my turning muscle Second choice is to have a sleep study done, and then get a "Snore Master" aka a cpap machine What's that, and where do I get one. My wife loves mine!

Thanks for the tips Bruce :icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto on build your own. Squirrel cage fan/blower, 3 pleated filters, a pull switch, and some 1/2 inch plywood.

Bruce, I tried the CPAP and it DROVE ME NUTS. Finally sent it back. Wife sleeps upstairs a lot of nights now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors