African Padauk

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have been using A Padauk on a few projects recently and I like using a mix of Tung/Blo mix. The African Paduak seems to take forever to dry. Any suggestions out there or is that normal because of the makeup of the wood. It also takes wipe-on Poly longer to dry....stays tacky for days.........Thanks guys

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that Padauk is a very open pored wood. There might be finish collecting in the pores that is slowing the drying process. I don't know it to be a particularly oily wood, that could be hampering the curing process :eusa_thin
Try to keep your finished pieces out of direct sunlight. Padauk loses it's reddish-orange color quickly with exposure to UV light, and turns a less attractive brownish color :BangHead:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
BLO doesn't work too well on padauk. Some of it is just too oily. At least that has been my experience. :eusa_doh:

The first piece I built with shellac had the same problem as you. One area of the jewelry box just wouldn't cure. I ended up wiping down with mineral spirits, waited for the mineral spirits to evaporate and then hit it with a seal coat of shellac. I have used padauk on several projects since my first experience and just spray lacquer. I like it.

The color does darken with time and exposure to UV. I have been careful to keep padauk projects away from direct sunlight and so far they are doing fine.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors