Advice wanted: Installing spindle sanding sleeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have a Jet bench top spindle sander. I need to install a new sanding sleeve. I got the old one off, but can only get the new one on about 3/4 of the way. :-( I have taken the end nut and collar off so that the central support is not compressed. Any advice how to get the sleeve all the way on? :eusa_pray

Thanks,

Doug

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOL - I have this problem at times as well. Haven't figured anything out though. THought about a little soap, vaseline, but haven't done it. I look forward to seeing what others have done as well.

Sully

New User
jay
I'm not familiar with the specific Jet spindles, but you might want to pull the rubber part completely off the shaft, install the sanding sleeve, and then install that back on the shaft. This assumes, of course, that the rubber sleeve is removable from the shaft on the Jet model. I sometimes have to do this on my sander, which uses CM sanding sleeves.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
WMH advice

FWIW: WMH tech support says to try talcum powder and/or to put the spindle in the frig/freezer for awhile to reduce its diameter a fraction.

Doug

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Buy a small bottle of "baby powder" (talc). You won't believe how easy it is to use, how well it works, and a small bottle will last a lifetime or two in the shop.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS