A Simple Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
A couple of weeks back, I got a commission from a lady for a "
simple box"..something to keep papers in..and she meant a couple of large stacks of 8 1/2 X 11 stuff. So this box is more like a mini-chest.Dimensions 18 1/2"X12 1/2"X6 1/2".

I had a single board of beautiful, dark, nicely grained walnut and I could just squeak out the four pieces for the sides..but it had a knot in it. Luckily, she likes "features" and told me to put the knot right in the front. Love the way she thinks.:gar-Bi

The top frame is from some wormy, but curly walnut so I worked around most of the worm holes. The birdseye maple speaks for itself and I used solid 1/2" thick tiger maple for the bottom.

CIMG3865.JPG

CIMG3861.JPG

CIMG3862.JPG

CIMG3866.JPG

I like the rounded over dovetails..the pins actually look curved and you get the gradual change in shading from the end grain to long grain. I used a Keller jig with a 1/2", 7 degree dovetail bit. I used open mortise/tenon joints for the floating panel top frame. I also used Brusso 95 degree stop hinges so there's no need for a lid support. These hinges are at least 3/16" thick, so more mortising to keep things interesting.:no:

CIMG3863.JPG

CIMG3871.JPG

CIMG3873.JPG

CIMG3869.JPG

Since the sides were cut from a single board, I was able to get the grain "tracking" around the box...except for one of the four corners. Need a circular board for that:rotflm:

Thanks for looking,

Don

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Don, that is absolutely incredible. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap It's a good thing she likes "features". :gar-La; But hey, if "features" look that good, I like them too. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

A beautiful box, knots, non-circular wood, Brasso hinges and all!

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Don, as Lyn and I got to see these in person today, I can tell you...this piece is just incredible. The pictures don't begin to compare to the actual pieces (this or the table.) Both feel so nice in your hands and convey a true warmth that could never be captured in a picture. Very well done. Thanks for posting them.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Don, that looks great! It's hard not to love working with walnut, isn't it?

What did you use for the finish?

Scott

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like calendar material to me!
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, that looks great! It's hard not to love working with walnut, isn't it?

What did you use for the finish?

Scott

Scott,

I used the same stuff I use on my rockers..Deft Danish Oil Clear Natural. I don't follow their instructions though. First I sand through all the grits to 350 and finish with Abralon 500.I soak the first coat..keep it wet for 20 minutes, then dry off COMPLETELY. Wait a day (not an hour like they say) for second coat. You'll use 10% of the oil used on the first coat. It dries in a couple hours but takes a few days to cure. Then a very light third coat.

That's it:icon_thum

Don

KC7CN

New User
Don
A simple box is for light switches or receptacles - that is not a simple box! :no:

Very nice, thanks for sharing. :notworthy:

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors