A scare...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Yesterday, my wife and I walked out from our townhouse to our car. It was probably about 30 degrees outside. It was then that it happened. She said, "you know, I can really see the benefits of having the car in a garage." :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon: I then explained the benefits of having all of your furniture/cabinets/etc custom made and how much more important it is to have the shop in the garage and she seemed cool with it. :eusa_pray

We're still renting, so it's not a major issue at this point, but it was a little scary for me. It probably helps that I scrape her car windows too whenever I have to scrape mine in the morning. Also, after we talked about it, we had a great laugh and she said that I should post this on the woodworking forum. :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I scrape my wife's windows every morning as needed. She has never thought of a garage as place to park a car (and I love her for that) and I don't want her to get any good ideas.
Also you live in a very warm climate (not lately, but normally) wasting garage space for the needed few days out of the year is silly.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Whew, sounds like you handled it well.

Might be time to not only wipe her windshield, but maybe warm up the car too.

Be strong!

Jim

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Whoa. I thought you were gonna write about how your hand slipped or a featherboard broke.... turns out it was even scarier! Glad everyone came out unscathed!

Rob

New User
Rob
My wife gave up on having a garage to park a car in long ago. Though my jeep and two motorcycles are in ours. One day we'll build a house with a detached work shop and a garage. (yeah right)

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I have the same situation here. I always offer to warm/cool the car for here whenever I can. But, there are still comments about there being a alternate use for my shop/office.:gar-Bi

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Get a small tarp & put it over the windshield/back glass. Some rare earth magnets will hold it on. Just pop it off before you crank the car & shake off the ice. You can store it in the shoparage 'til that night.
It keeps off cat tracks too!

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Trent!!!!!!!! QUIK Get a remote start installed!!!!!!!!!!!! NO need for garage kept with one; start it from the kitchen, have a coffacuppy while it warms up,windows get nice and clean, Moma get into nice warm car and Wallah!!!!!!!! And YES in summer set the a/c uh huh start it, wait a few mins and ya gits into a nice cool car. TRUST ME we gots em cant live without em

SHOP SAVED :rotflm::rotflm:

timf67

New User
Tim
No, y'all are thinking about this all wrong! Do what I did, and tell her that if she wants a garage for cars then I need a shop for my tools! :gar-Bi

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Trent!!!!!!!! QUIK Get a remote start installed!!!!!!!!!!!! NO need for garage kept with one; start it from the kitchen, have a coffacuppy while it warms up,windows get nice and clean, Moma get into nice warm car and Wallah!!!!!!!! And YES in summer set the a/c uh huh start it, wait a few mins and ya gits into a nice cool car. TRUST ME we gots em cant live without em

SHOP SAVED :rotflm::rotflm:
yep, got Tina a remote start for Christmas. Her first reation was 'what is this usless thing for'??
Now she thinks it's the greatest think since sliced bread.

timf67

New User
Tim
yep, got Tina a remote start for Christmas. Her first reation was 'what is this usless thing for'??
Now she thinks it's the greatest think since sliced bread.

You can get away with those in SC and in other NC cities, but there is a law in Charlotte that does not allow you to leave your vehicle unattended while running... I'm sure there is a good reason for such a law, but I just can't think of one when I am starting my car in 20 degree weather! :nah:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can get away with those in SC and in other NC cities, but there is a law in Charlotte that does not allow you to leave your vehicle unattended while running... I'm sure there is a good reason for such a law, but I just can't think of one when I am starting my car in 20 degree weather! :nah:
2 reasons:
1. High vehicle theft rate. You also can't leave the keys in the ignition while unattended.
2. Carbon monoxide poisoning. Several years ago, someone in an apartment complex cranked their car to warm it in their enclosed garage. It killed several adjoining apartment residents as well as the owner.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
:icon_scra

I believe it is my patriotic duty to ignore and actively violate stupid laws that are made by idiot lawmakers.:qleft7:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The remote start I had installed locks the doors if they aren't already locked, starts the engine. But even if someone gets in the car, the key has to be inserted into the ignition switch before the car will operate. Touching the brake or engaging the transmission without the key inserted and placed to the 'On' position will stop the engine.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
My wife is kinda cool with her car being left out. Occasionally she mentions that it'd be nice to have it in the garage. Sometimes, in between projects, I can clear out her half so she can bring her car in. it's our goal to have a large garage (so my truck fits in it too) and a separate space for my shop.

The remote starter is a good idea for both of us!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Heck, I don't have a carport or garage for car or shop!

However, in an effort to please my lovely wife I warmed her car last week. When she left for work I asked her to start mine too :icon_thum

When I went to the truck the engine was running but the doors were locked. No problem, I have an extra set of keys. Also have a house key stashed outside that allowed me to re-enter the house :mrgreen:

Oops, didn't find truck keys because I gave them to my wife when we were traveling recently. Sooo, they are in her purse and she works in Pittsboro 30 minutes away :eusa_doh:

Ok, I call her and say: You can either return home with my keys or I can call AAA. :dontknow:
She agrees to return home :icon_cheers

Then I went out to grab the newspaper . . . and locked the door . . . and left the spare key in the house :BangHead:
It's 20 degrees outside and I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts as I was headed to the gym. :XXfridge:
Reckon' I need to make more spare keys :rotflm:
Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

However, in an effort to please my lovely wife I warmed her car last week. When she left for work I asked her to start mine too :icon_thum

When I went to the truck the engine was running but the doors were locked. No problem, I have an extra set of keys. Also have a house key stashed outside that allowed me to re-enter the house :mrgreen:

Oops, didn't find truck keys because I gave them to my wife when we were traveling recently. Sooo, they are in her purse and she works in Pittsboro 30 minutes away :eusa_doh:

Ok, I call her and say: You can either return home with my keys or I can call AAA. :dontknow:

Then I went out to grab the newspaper . . . and locked the door . . . and left the spare key in the house :BangHead:
It's 20 degrees outside and I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts as I was headed to the gym. :XXfridge:
Roger

Oh my!!!!!:elvis::elvis:

And I am turning 63 in two months too. Need to get some spare keys made real quick!:gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Wayne

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
Wow , you dodged the bullet with that one !!! When I lived in NY they said that the only people with remote starters were the MOB SNITCHES.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
It's never been an issue with us, she's always parked her car in garage ( I park outside).

I have all the tools I need ,stored neatly on both sides of shop,some fixed and some on wheels!

Everyone's happy! No guilt!

Makes it alot easier come time to buying new tools!

Give and take, baby!

She gives and I take!:gar-La;

M

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Roger

So 63 is when it all goes away, huh??? :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS