A question I've had for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Didn't want to hijack the latest thread in moderation so I'll start here anew.

In instances where a thread is very likely to take a bad turn would it be beneficial to chime in as a moderator and remind folks to be careful not to go overboard with extreme opinions or examples?

As I said in the 'Law suit" thread I hate to jump the gun on post even when I know it will end up having to be moderated.

I want to hear other opinions on this.

Barbara

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
There are some good instances where a moderator or admin has simply made a statement that the thread was very valid but also could bring out bad posts etc. and people should think before posting. I just can't think of them off of the top of my head. A statement made in the thread to play nice so to speak has helped in the past.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had limited success in the past at 'steering' a thread that looked like it would jump track. If someone is dead set on giving their $.02 on something, they don't usually hesitate. It seems often times a comment in such a thread validates the thread as OK for the whackos to chime in. Doesn't mean I still don't try.

b4man

New User
Barbara
It seems often times a comment in such a thread validates the thread as OK for the whackos to chime in. Doesn't mean I still don't try.

That's one of the reasons I wanted other opinions. I hadn't thought of that possibility Dennis!

Glennbear

Glenn
IMHO attempting to "steer" a thread by commenting as a staff person is an exercise in futility. Either a thread/post is acceptable or it is not. Posts by staff open the door for the fringe elements to respond to the staff post and things definitely go awry. If I feel a certain post skirts too close to the edge I PM the poster thus keeping my thoughts out of the open thread and denying the whackos the chance to argue with my moderation/policy viewpoint. We should keep in mind that there are those who love to argue just for argument's sake alone. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Preemptive moderation is a _very_ dangerous thing to do. If a thread is within policy, then leave it alone, even though there are alarm bells going off and flashing lights appear on your monitor. It can't hurt to make a post stating "Hey, as a reminder, we know this is a very controversial issue, so please stay on topic, be courteous, and observe the site policy". But we're not the morality police, discussion is good for the soul.

The site policy helps us be consistent in our moderation, and ensures we're not becoming too biased. For example, it doesn't matter whether a post talks about Christianity or Judaism, religion is religion, which is not allowed per site policy. At the same time, the policy limits what we should moderate. Let the whackos make their statements - most people will recognize the wackos for what they are.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I tend to agree with letting sleeping dogs lay.

But, I would say its more a call for the moderator to make. If they feel strongly they need to interject, by all means.

A thread that is of apparent benefit may need a gentle nudge back on course. Say a thread about Woodworking (crazy, i know) vs. an Off Topic thread about oh, driveway stones.

If its a thread destined for doom, an interjection likely will just hasten its untimely demise.

Sadly, like much of your job, its a coin toss on the outcome.

Jim

b4man

New User
Barbara
So glad I asked! Thanks for your thoughts everybody. I think I have a better understanding of the reasons for just waiting until somebody drops the ball.

I have PM'd members when I felt a post was too close to being moderated and as a courtesy I gave them a chance to turn it around. Most of the time it works.

I don't think we ever not have something to learn by trying to be the overseer's of all we read here.

Today I learned from your responses.

Thanks,

Barbara

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steering is always worth a try but like Glenn said normally does not help. If the topic is good we should make every attempt to keep it open as long as the talk is valid and within our rules.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having been in law enforcement like he has, Glenn has probably learned that when a mob doesn't listen to reason, sliding a round in the chamber of the pump usually gets everybody's attention. :gar-La;
Often times when a post goes awry, the mindset become one of everybody getting in their licks while they can. I believe most people, regrettably, expect us to clean up after them when that happens.
Too bad we don't have a way to perhaps suspend or restrict OT posts by repeat offenders. That's where the most problems occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS