A Place to Sell Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyET

New User
Andy
Hi,

For quite a long time I have been interested in finding a place to sell projects that I make. I have discussed this with several woodworking friends, but have not been able to work out the details.

Are any of you interested in doing a co-op project to open an "ART STUDIO" type retail outlet in order to sell our projects?

Any thoughts on the subject?

AndyET
Cary

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that the concept is a great idea, but the logistics are complicated. Rent for the space, people to staff it during business hours etc. I think that a web based "co-op" market might be simpler and with all the technologically advanced members we have it should be very simple to set up. We could have a gallery of works for sale by all members with pricing and contact information and a place where custom works could be ordered.
Just brain storming along the same ideas:dontknow:
Also for folks in the Triangle area, East Wake Hardwoods runs a consignment gallery with some beautiful work displayed. Stuff seems to sell well out of there also.
Dave:)

jglord

New User
John
One model I've seen in action is The League of New Hampshire Craftsmen. They operate 7 stores in New Hampshire and sell work done by a wide variety of crafts people. One of the things they have done is to make the guild somewhat selective to ensure the shops have high quality items to sell.

Perhaps something like this would work in NC.

What do others think?:eusa_thin

cskipper

Cathy
I would love to participate, but as Dave pointed out, it would have to be something on line since we are geographically all over the state, some working day jobs, some not....

M

McRabbet

We have one of the largest craft organizations in the country -- the Southern Highlands Craft Guild -- that has over 900 members from counties in the southern Appalachians. For information, read the information on their website at http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/membership.php. They operate at least two stores; the Gift Shop at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville and a second on US 70 in East Asheville. There are many excellent woodworkers that at members selling their wares.

Rob

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO said:
I think that the concept is a great idea, but the logistics are complicated. Rent for the space, people to staff it during business hours etc. I think that a web based "co-op" market might be simpler and with all the technologically advanced members we have it should be very simple to set up. We could have a gallery of works for sale by all members with pricing and contact information and a place where custom works could be ordered.
Just brain storming along the same ideas:dontknow:
Also for folks in the Triangle area, East Wake Hardwoods runs a consignment gallery with some beautiful work displayed. Stuff seems to sell well out of there also.
Dave:)

I like this idea for a NCWW gallery of items for sale. I came across the NH guild shops when I lived in NH and they do work well, but geographically an on line shop may work well for us. Even if the work shown was not directly for sale it may lead to commission work.

DavidF

New User
David
Mike Davis said:
Steve,

Please don't say no until you think about this a few days.

I was wondering how and if it would be possible to start an online gallery/store for that purpose. The store could take a 20% commission to cover operations and support the forum.

I think this would be a great way to promote North Carolina wood workers and keep the site going in perpetuity.

I know you are against advertising or donations but IMHO this would be different since it would be strictly voluntary and for members only. Most galleries charge 30% - 40% commission so 20% would be a great deal for the artists and should build to a nice size over time.

We could set up a committee to jury the selections/artists and oversee operations. A trust fund could be set up from the proceeds. All of it could be done as a 401C non profit to benefit North Carolina wood workers.

Think of the legacy for arts and education that could be carried forth!

20%!!!!! that would make it not worth the effort. Most of us have trouble getting the bare minimum from potential buyers let alone losing 20% commission.

I think that if anything then all people who want a gallery spot should qualify under the new "DQ" membership rules.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike, I've actually thought about it. I already own the URL ncwoodworker.COM and .ORG and a few others, :lol: We could setup a seperate but related site for what you want to do.

Strictly for Marketing reasons, you want the storefront(Domain default) to be a totally different beast than what you get here. You will drive customer's away if they have to navigate this site.

I got the .com domain just so I could allow a commerical enterprise to operate associated with .net, but still wouldn't compromise my promise:icon_thum

I was waiting to see how far this was going to go before I said anything.

Guys, I will support this in any reasonable way you want. I will even help to organize it. I will certainly offer opinions and advice( I've plenty of those:rolf: )

Mike Davis said:
Steve,

Please don't say no until you think about this a few days.

I was wondering how and if it would be possible to start an online gallery/store for that purpose. The store could take a 20% commission to cover operations and support the forum.

I think this would be a great way to promote North Carolina wood workers and keep the site going in perpetuity.

I know you are against advertising or donations but IMHO this would be different since it would be strictly voluntary and for members only. Most galleries charge 30% - 40% commission so 20% would be a great deal for the artists and should build to a nice size over time.

We could set up a committee to jury the selections/artists and oversee operations. A trust fund could be set up from the proceeds. All of it could be done as a 401C non profit to benefit North Carolina wood workers.

Think of the legacy for arts and education that could be carried forth!

DavidF

New User
David
Mike Davis said:
Then how do you fund the software, set up, labor to sort, post, ship, service, handle returns, overhead, lawyers, advertising, paperclips...

Also remember you are now selling nation wide not just to the paperboy and the neighbors. Buyers will pick up the premium.

My vision would be the site would be a "shop window" not a "shop" pictures could be posted as now, but in a more "outsider" friendly fashion; contact information would be given and a price guide. The remainder of the transaction would be between the seller/maker and the customer - QED - no paper clips.

DavidF

New User
David
Mike Davis said:
Maybe a two tiered approach would work?

Those who only want web introductions and those who want a store front, advertising, marketing help.

Oh, wait! We already have free web site hosting.

So, back to those who want a gallery/store!

But that free web site hosting is for individuals; not all of us. I would envision a site that shows work that can be sorted by price, catagory, maker, geographic area etc, so that somebody looking for a particular piece or somebody to make it, would be presented with a choice of several makers and their respective talents

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DavidF said:
But that free web site hosting is for individuals; not all of us. I would envision a site that shows work that can be sorted by price, catagory, maker, geographic area etc, so that somebody looking for a particular piece or somebody to make it, would be presented with a choice of several makers and their respective talents

I think what Mile meant is what I'm offering. A website like www.ncwoodworker.com would be the type of web site you are talking about.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike Davis said:
Steve,

I'm posting again since your post took us to page 2. There needs to be a clarification of the purpose and meaning of the .com site.

I think that any promotion or advertising would have to be for a fee of some kind on the .com site.

Seems to me that promoting individuals would go against the no advertising on this site rule and conflict with the open exchange of ideas.

This site should be and is for wood workers to share, educate, enjoy and learn from each other.

A .com site would be to market, sell, educate and inform the public of the beauty, value and superiority of high quality, natural wood furniture, pens, turnings and crafts.

Two separate places with separate missions but supporting each other.

Ok, first I am not really in this, becuase clearly, it will not be my work that will be offered on this new site.:rolf: Let me put my ideas together to see if I can make the clarification that seems to be necessary. You and David really are closer than you think.

cskipper

Cathy
I will be interested in what is developed. Clearly I'll never have anything in those kind of price ranges, so please consider the smaller stuff too.

dozer

Mike
SteveColes said:
OK, first I am not really in this, because clearly, it will not be my work that will be offered on this new site.:rolf:

I don't know Steve someone might pay high dollar if you don't tell the that the screws were supposed to be hidden :rolf:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here's my .02.

Assuming you all go with a Web based store front.

I provide a domain name

ncwoodworker.xxx
xxxxxxx.ncwoodworker.net
ncwoodworking.xxx

Those are all owned by me already, so they are available.
I provide web hosting for it no charge, for a year. After that it is open for renegotiation.

Those who are interested create a formal group of some kind with a Governing Council that makes executive type of decisions, etc.

This group can use one of two basic business models.

1. This is Mike's Co-op model. Everything is done through the storefront(website), sales, collecting revenue, collecting commissions, distributing sales moneys to the members, PAYING BILLS, etc

2. This is probably closer to what DavidF is thinking. The store front serves as a display case for individual members. In general the actual sales and their negotiations take place between buyer and seller. Though, the website may provide tools for invoicing and collection. The expenses of this method are not paid by sales revenues. Each member pays "dues", if your dues are up to date, your work is displayed, if not then it isn't. I can set up a dues pay system on this web site very easily.

Either way you would go, there is bad news. There are startup and continuing expenses. You may pay for

Web designer
Webmaster

They could be the same person, but you want a real web designer to do the job. There are members on this site who have the skill set but whether or not they will volunteer.

Finally, you have advertising. No matter what you think, the search engines just do not pick you up and present you. If you do all the right things it will take six months. Your best bet is probably Goggle Add words and that will cost you at least $150 a month and then you will want to place ads with a small set of good websites.

So assuming you get volunteer webmaster and web designer, then you better budget $300 for advertising for the first six months.

What's my opinion.? To start go with #2. It is easiest to get off the ground. Once you have some traction, probably no less than a year you can change to any model, you want. Including brick & mortar store front(s)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
dozer said:
I don't know Steve someone might pay high dollar if you don't tell the that the screws were supposed to be hidden :rolf:
I can be the piscasso of the art furniture world. Eventually I will be on lecture circuit, writing books,etc.:rolf:

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
<---- free web designer

I guess if I had to choose I would go with #2, the virtual display case. How the end user perceives a transaction could go various ways. Obviously the super simple version is the sellers phone/email by the item for sale and at that point the job of the site is done and responsibility shifts to the seller to collect $$ and ship the item.

You could however, do a bit of a combination of 1 and 2, where the site uses a shopping cart type application that will handle the transaction and it looks to the user like it is all handled by the site, but in reality the seller is notified and still handles the shipping etc.

Either way a very good idea and I would love to be involved with a project like this.

DavidF

New User
David
Jonz said:
<---- free web designer

I guess if I had to choose I would go with #2, the virtual display case. How the end user perceives a transaction could go various ways. Obviously the super simple version is the sellers phone/email by the item for sale and at that point the job of the site is done and responsibility shifts to the seller to collect $$ and ship the item.

You could however, do a bit of a combination of 1 and 2, where the site uses a shopping cart type application that will handle the transaction and it looks to the user like it is all handled by the site, but in reality the seller is notified and still handles the shipping etc.

Either way a very good idea and I would love to be involved with a project like this.

The "Super Simple" is how I envisioned the site. I do not normally have a "production run" of anything like pens, chopping boards etc, but if there was somewhere to offer them that might change. Niether do I do "spec" work; I.E build a piece and see if somebody wants it and lastly I am not trying to make a living out of it, so having fees associated with it that are too high would be a show stopper for me, but if reasonable then that would be fine. It's a difficult one because there may be members out there that are trying to grow a business and therefore may have a marketing budget that they are willing to put into the project on their way to opening a bricks and morter store, there may be others that just like the thought of somebody phoning them up and asking for a pen to be made; I am sure the fees for that person would need to be very low. I know this post doesn't offer any solutions, but it is something best discussed at a round table meeting.

JRD

New User
Jim
Guy's

I don't know the best way to do this, so I'll rely on all of you with more brain power that I have.

The idea is GREAT!

IMHO, people like to pick up, feel, and see with their own eyes what they are considering buying. While most people prefer this method, I'm not sure we possess the resources to pull it off. A retail space, business licenses, heat and AC, water, an employee to staff the store, etc.. I wish we could go this route but it would be a big chore.

The on-line store makes much more fiscal sense. Even then, someone (Steve?) would have to take care of the postings, sales, payments, etc..

Perhaps, we could qualify for a grant from the Arts Council, perhaps we could get some of our work in the gift shop at the Art Museum on Blue Ridge Rd. There are a lot of unanswered questions, but let's keep moving in the positive direction this group has been traveling since it's inception.

Jim

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Ditto Jim's comments. I like the idea of having some venue for our folks to offer their work for sale. It's a logical step in the process, especially with all the talent we have here. A dedicated physical store is out of the question. However, presenting our wares online to the global marketplace does sound attractive. I would say that the sales should support the sales site, but by the same token if those costs are too high, it could be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Rob mentioned the Highland Craft Guild; I guess due to their high overhead costs, they get a hefty cut out of every sale, can't remember how much, but it was shocking when I checked into it and was a deal breaker for me. At some point when I get caught up :)rolf: ), I would like to build some more commissioned work, and "our" online gallery may be a good tool toward that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS