A Pig in a Poke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarted_phool

New User
david
Either I'm not Irish, or my luck needs to change within the next 10 days. Some of you may know I do guitar repairs and adjustments. The major portion on my work tho' is crafting Mountain Dulcimers. Certain tools are just vital in my shop. Certainly a bandsaw. Not really necessary, but really nice to have is a jointer. Go figure. Here's what happened.

Monday, I bought a used Sears Craftsman 6 1/4" jointer/planer (Model No. 113.232211, just in case anyone has one..) I plugged it in Thursday, just to see how well would work. It ran just fine in January when I first looked at it.

Lesson: Before turning on any power equipment for the first time, check to see if there any loose lockwashers rattling around inside the motor.

I did not check the motor for loose lockwashers rattling around insidethe motor. Fire, sparks, screaming women...I may have let out a little yelp myself, but nothing close to "schoolgirl hysteria" that those around me have claimed.

Results: One dead motor, a useless jointer and a lighter wallet. The local machine shop can not repair the motor and Sears does not have a replacement or suggest another suitable motor. I may have suffered some indignation among my family, but I swear I didn't squeal and dance at the same time. Does anyone have a boat for sale? I have a great anchor!

Several months ago, when I started this operation, I bought a used bandsaw on CL. $75 for what would be a comparable $120 model new. Ryobi BS900. If I wanted to cut counter-clockwise circles, this would be the finest piece of power equipment to have! After three blades and lots of adjustment, I was eventually able to get a straight cut...Until Tuesday.

While cutting 1 1/4" dowels, the medium blade bound up and twisted horribly. I replaced it with a medium blade and started cutting curves again. Adjusting and switching to a fine blade let me finish cutting the dowels, but that blade broke today while I was cutting a headstock for a dulcimer. The medium blade still cuts curves.:BangHead:

I've got about a dozen instrument to make this month, and I need to get busy!

Going to Lowes tomorrow, I suppose.

Object:Skil 9" 2.5-Amp Band Saw
I'll have to do without the jointer and the $100, but I am getting pretty good at joints with a shooting board! ...and this was the week I was going to try to get a belt/disc sander:rotflm:

If I had some "Enriched Uranium" don't think I wouldn't sell it just to afford new tools! I suppose I'll be a little more cautious about buying tools from CL and from a friend of a friend's cousin or whatever.

Hypothetically: Just maybe if I did have some "Enriched Uranium," is anyone interested?

Peace, ya'all!
dw

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
You can get motors that will work on your jointer. I replaced the motor on mine years ago and gave it to my son several years later--------it is still running. Just get a motor with the same rpm and at least as much hp-----use the pulleys you have now.

Jerry

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sorry to hear about the bad luck David. I know things like that happen to all of us sometimes. As for your band saw, what kind of blades were you using? You'll probably have much better results with a nicer blade. I bought the little bench top Delta jointer from Lowes and have been fairly please with that. It's not very expensive either. Just some ideas.

And no, I'm not interested in any uranium, we're not making spaghetti tonight. :gar-La;

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
What's the hp of that motor? Like Jerry said, you can get replacement motors. BUT, hang on to those pulleys! Hmm, that thing ain't direct drive is it?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
dw,

The 113. prefix on the old craftsman tools denote they were built by Emerson Electric, (current manufacturer of the Rigid brand), sometime between '64 & '98. (I'm an old tool guy.)

Assuming the jointer cutter-head is belt driven by the motor, (as opposed to internal direct drive), the motor is 100% replaceable. A new motor will cost a few bucks, and I imagine you would want at least 1/2HP, although you would be better served by a 3/4HP.

That being said, to get you up and running, and get your contracts out the door, I might have a spare motor under my bench that you are welcome to borrow for awhile if you need it. Shoot me a note if you'd like.

& dude, GOOD LUCK!:eek:ccasion1

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check the old motor nameplate. It should have a frame size (NEMA ###).
Most small motors under 2 HP are a NEMA 56 or such. This & the RPM of the motor will get you started in the right direction. If you can't find the same frame size, look for comparable HP, voltage, & shaft diameter/length. The Craftsman jointers usually have a slotted motor mount to accept a variety of motor frames. Look for a motor that is TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) if you can. These motors won't mind if some chips or sawdust are nearby. Rotation can be changed in the motor connection cover on most standard motors. Also, be sure it is a Capacitor Start motor, as jointers have a high rotational mass & are hard to bring up to speed without it.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
sears is the wrong place to go for help.

contact emerson which is the mfg of the machine.

asheville motor company on river road can hook you up, but it won't be cheap.

the best cheap route would be to scour craigslist and yard sales, flea markets etc and find a new motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS