A couple of finished projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Here's a few of the many projects I had going simultaneously over the last couple of weeks which generated a few other posts. Unfortunately I had to load the table and bench twice on Saturday since neither sold. :no: Granted it's probably a good thing the table didn't sell since minutes before we started getting ready to load up a kid opened the drawer and leaned on the front of it. I didn't think anything of it until I went to remove the drawer to load it up and noticed that one of the screws had pulled loose from the drawer front.:thumbs_do No wonder the parents rushed the kid off so quickly. I guess in my haste of late night assembly I didn't do something properly so I'll get a second chance at making it right once I figure out what I did wrong the first time. Maybe I chose screws that were too short, or should I have used glue on the drawer front as well. :BangHead: Anyway, on with the pics.

Game Table front:

BearTable001.JPG

Game Table Top, Grizzly vs Polar Bear:
BearTable003.JPG

Checker pieces for the table:
BearCkrPieces001.JPG

Inside of game Table drawer:
BearTableDrawer001.JPG

Game Bench:
Bench001.JPG

A couple of Game Boards:
GardenCkrs001.JPG

PartridgeCkrs20x20.JPG

Bacgammon20x20.JPG
WoodGrainBac20x20002.JPG

Thanks for looking and any input on where I went wrong on the drawer front are welcomed. :dontknow:

Brian.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cool stuff Brian :icon_thum:icon_thum I really like the log legs on the game table. Your pieces are so colorful and as the LOML would say "Happy".
How well did Lazy Days do for you?? I would think that your work would go over really well in Cary with all the families, kids and disposable income.

Dave:)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dave, we thought the same thing as well. Unfortunately it was the wrong assumption. :dontknow: While a lot of folks seemed interested and took cards and what not, sales weren't what we had hoped. In fact I'm not even sure we covered show costs, seems everyone was more interested in buying pottery and repro prints of sheep in funny situations! Who knew, firewood anyone!!! :gar-La;

Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brian, NO NOT FIREWOOD. :wsmile: I have done a few craft fairs. In fact I have done one 5 years running. Every year I add new items and of course make more of the more popular items. Last year was my best year to date. The bulk of what I sold I made the first 2 years. Go figure.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dave I short changed you and didn't finish my response cause I was in a hurry to get out of work.

Thanks for the compliment and I think "happy" is a very fitting description for most of our stuff. We're real pleased with the logs that we ordered online, I was worried a bit about them even though all their sample pics were really good. You just don't know what you're gonna get til you try them out and they were exactly what I had hoped they were going to be and the hand peeling gives them a lot of character. Shame the place is in Montana, but shipping cost on them wasn't too awful. I think all eight weighed in at around 35 pounds or so.

Don't suppose you'd like to offer a suggestion on where I went wrong on the drawer front assemly?

Brian.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave

Don't suppose you'd like to offer a suggestion on where I went wrong on the drawer front assemly?

Brian.

It's hard to say with out more info on how they were attached and configured. I am assuming that you made the drawer box and then attached a false front to it. 4 screws that are just shorter than the thickness of the drawer box and false front should hold it fine. Glue is helpful too but it might make any later adjustments impossible. What type of screws did you use? What type of material did they go into? How big of a pilot hole did you drill? Did you hold your head to the left and stick your tongue out the right side of your mouth while tightening them???? :wwink:

Dave:)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Scott, thanks for the encouragement. I'm not getting out the marshmallows and sticks just yet!!:gar-Bi We'll just have to keep trying and look for more decent shows and explore other options. I think since we don't have other shows scheduled as of yet and have a bit of stuff on hand that we'll follow up with the gallery in Wilmington that offered to show/sell some of our game boards for 30% commission. That's a bit of a bite but seems to be in line or less than what I've seen that some other places are getting.

DaveO, sorry bro but I thought you were psychotic..........errrr psychic and knew exactly how I had assembled the drawer and what materials were used!!:rotflm::rotflm:

The box is 1/2 maple ply, the prefinished stuff I got from Wurth, which I predrilled for a #6x3/4 Wood/assembly screw. Front is 1/2 Poplar which I don't recall if i drilled a pilot hole for or not due to lack of sleep. I did however only use 2 screws to attach and you recommended 4 so I'm already behind on that count. After looking at it now that it's apart again it seems the screws I chose might be a little short, but obviously a #6x1 screw would have been too long. I guess I need to run down something in between, looks like WoodCraft has #8x7/8 Drawer front screws that may be my best bet. I had every intention of going by and seeing what they had in store but they're weren't open at 1 am when I was finishing it up!!:gar-La;

Thanks for the input.

Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brian, craft fairs seem to do better the closer you get to Christmas. There is a nice 3 day event at the State Farmers Market in mid November that you might want to consider. Only down side is being outside. Also do event searches on CL. A lot of churches and organizations have fairs in the fall.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Scott, thanks for the info on the November show, I'll have to look into it and see if it falls on a weekend I'm not working. LOML isn't really interested in trying to do a show by herself, not that I blame her. We did a church fair earlier in the year but it was their first and I don't think they did a great deal of advertisement for it but we did sell one box which ended up leading to referrals for about 6 others. I hadn't considered CL so I need to check that as well. I believe you're correct about Christmas season shows though, we had quite a few people interested in possibly doing custom theme boards as presents. We'll see if we ever hear from any of them.

I guess the most interesting conversation(s) we had were with a pediatric surgeon whose office is in Cary I believe. He walked up while I was working on finishing the bench we brought and watched for some time. Then he asked if we could possibly do his reception area counter top with sea, beach and other various themes. I told him anything was possible and asked how large of a counter it was. Well, it's 18 ft by 2.5 ft and curves!!! I told him that was a rather large job and while I might not be able to handle all aspects of construction alone, we could certainly find a way around that and that we'd be more than happy to come by his office and look at what he had in mind. He then came back by 4 or 5 more times with more questions as to materials, stains, topcoats, etc... and whether or not they were safe for children. He said he was certain that it wouldn't be cheap but he didn't think that was a problem. So we'll wait and see if he calls us and if he does I guess I'll be looking to sub out some counter/cabinet construction maybe! :gar-Bi

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS