a BIG turning project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Placek

New User
Mark
Hi, Its been a long time since I posted anything here, I haven't turned much lately.

My friend Chris who is the manager of Advantage Lumber in Grover, NC. called me yesterday
asking me if I could do some turning for a customer of his, I told him that my lathe is way to small for this project.

He needs someone who can turn spindles 7" round and 10 feet long;
the wood is Ipe (Brazilian Walnut). These spindles are to be used in a Zoo inside their Elephant house, he didn't know the location of the zoo, the customer was being secretive with that information

If there is anyone interested in this project please call Chris using the information below:

nc_contact.gif
Toll Free
nc_phone.gif
Local Phone
nc_office.gif
Fax
nc_fax.gif
Email

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
The only lathe I know of that is big enough for this project used be at East Wake HArdwoods. It was used to turn the masts of sailing ships. I know ROger's health is in decline, but perhaps someone here can hook you up with him. The man who soild Roger the lathe used to come by and use it on occassion. Perhaps there is an opportunity here for all concerned.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
whooo, that's big!

Do these need to be perfectly round? If not I'd consider drawknives and spokeshaves (heck, I think they'd look cool that way). I lived in Brazil for a while and met a guy that would hand carve all kinds of projects as big as what you are talking about... columns of all shapes, flutes and designs, spiral stair centers, you name it. They were awesome, and the guy was really cool.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I have seen persons remove their tailstock off of lathes and mount large pieces such as this into a retrofit outboard tailstock. The tailstock would actually consist of an electric motor mounted onto a very sturdy tripod. The motor size of about 1/3 horse or larger would be fitted with a dead center on the motor's shaft.

The large piece would be mounted between the headstock and this sturdy outboard frame functioning and serving as the tailstock obviously. The motor can be then be synchronized to turn at the appropriate rpm to assist by utilizing an ac voltage speed controller in place. This motor would be ran in reverse.

Then this tripod is secured in place to ensure it remains fixed in location.

With bed extensions bolted onto the lathe one can work one end of the wood and simply flip it over and work the other end (the other 5' in this case) The bed extensions allowing this movement down the ways for the tool rest apparatus.

Chris

Would definitely be a great project, would take it on if i had more time.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm with chris on this one a wood lathe is not a very complicated machine at all. I'm sure with some quick fabication a wood lathe could be extended pretty easily.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I saw this once, can't remember whether it was TV or web video. Anyway, circular saw to cut the corners so you start with an octagon. Mount the lathe on an I-beam (can be shop made of wood) and use a stack of short boards on either side of another board piece with a hole drilled at center to hold the live center. The tool rest was a 2x6 with a V cut in the end bolted to a straight one with a notch cut to fit the edge of the I-beam. Anyway, the V was bolted to the motor side. It didn't adjust as the turner holding it into the V was all it needed. It didn't tighten either; he just kept it against the I-beam. It loooked like he could have gone 40 yards.

Oh yeah, no extra power needed; once it spins up, weight on an extra long spindle helps it keep going. But the funky "steady-V-bolted-to-unclamped-toolrest" arrangement was for a consistant size round column; if there are beads and coves I am not sure it would work.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Could it be turned in four 2½' sections and the sections joined with dowels?

George

Truefire

New User
Chris
Mark i think you ought to call your buddy Chris and take this job offer, i believe you might be able to gain a profit by executing this small setup feat.

It would be worth it for both the pleasure and monies gained.

Enjoy it.

Mark Placek

New User
Mark

George

George, I was told that these columns need to be one-piece. I'll talk to Chris tomorrow to see if he found anyone to turn them yet.

My Thanks to everyone for your interest in this project. I have 7 new bowls ready for the lathe and I'll post them when they're finished.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Originally Posted by gator

George

The original post said it was to be Ipe wood and used in an elephant house. My guess is it will be some sort of containment for them, hence the need for using Ipe wood as it is very hard. I'm doubting they would accept anything less than one continuous piece of wood.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I did this to turn several newel post that were long. I can't say I'd be willing to go to 10' with Ipe. The weight would be difficult to manage.
100_1325.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS