3D Cutting Board

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
My son and I just finished a 3D cutting board. Considering it was our first try - we're pretty happy with how it turned out. 16 separate glue ups (not my strong suit). We didn't mill the wood correctly so it made for a little extra work.

We glued up 2 pieces cut at 45 degrees (afromosia / cherry) then glued in the center square (maple). The maple square was slightly smaller than the height of the cherry / afromosia so each strip was planed. Then we glued the quartersawn maple strips to one side (all at once) then planed and glued the other side (all at once). Then we glued them all together (that's the unfinished picture below). We then cut strips and flipped 90 degrees to create the board. My son may have some of the in-progress pictures. It takes me a while to figure out how you'd make a board like this.

When you look at the board - your eye won't go to the few squares that aren't perfect. So psyched with the board. It's a retirement gift for a friend of Linc's.

Attachments

• IMG_5030.JPEG
    IMG_5030.JPEG
    587.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5029.JPEG
    IMG_5029.JPEG
    487.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5028.JPEG
    IMG_5028.JPEG
    945.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5014.JPEG
    IMG_5014.JPEG
    773.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

waitup

New User
Matt
Very nice. I always have to stare at these for a while in an attempt to figure out the glue ups. The unfinished photo helps alot.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Great combination of wood colors. You guys really pulled off the 3D effect. I had to look twice at pic 5014, it looks like it’s actually sunk in.

waitup

New User
Matt
Great combination of wood colors. You guys really pulled off the 3D effect. I had to look twice at pic 5014, it looks like it’s actually sunk in.
I've looked several times and didn't realize it wasn't sunk in until I went back and looked again after reading your comment!

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks all - appreciate the kind words. We kept one of the edge cut-offs. I'll have to take a picture and post it.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
That turned out great! was that the one from Wood Magazine a while back?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
That turned out great! was that the one from Wood Magazine a while back?
Nope. My son had watched a video of a similar board being made and we winged it!

Here are some additional pictures. Those are the cutoffs from each end. I plan to sand and finish the larger cutoff. I can't see throwing it out.

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 58

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors