1st Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

mockymock

New User
Mark
Hello,

Joined the site a couple of days ago and am finally getting some time to say hello. I'm new to woodworking but have spent about the last 6 months reading up on topics, tools, and other useful info from this site and others. Finally found a good deal on a table saw in my area (Richmond, VA) yesterday and wrestled it home (Ridgid TS3650 for $260). At least it's good for what I have in mind which is mostly furniture and homeowner projects. I've also ordered one of the less expensive Jet 10" Jointer/Planer Combo's (JJB-10BTOS) which I should receive before X-Mas. I've got a decent mitre saw, a Kreg K4 pocket jig, and some other various tools. I probably can't contribute much to the web site in terms of knowledge, but I look forward to learning! I tend to research things before I do anything, but I'm close to finally making some sawdust!

By day I'm a Civil Engineer - spend most of my time working on Airport related projects. As such, I've spent the last 11 years using AutoCad and can draw up just about anything in 3 D and render detailed pictures, etc. So I've drawn up my first project which I hope is pretty simple, a bunk bed for my 3 year old son. Wife is pregnant with a baby girl, and all of our furniture (and I mean all of it) is left over from our single days 9 years or before. Our coffee table still has the cigarette burn in it from my drunk college roomates! So I'm drawing up dessers, a murphy bed, a coffee table, kitchen table, and some cabinets!

If I can just get the wood to the correct dimensions and straight (which seems to be impossible at my current skill level) - I should actually be able to build something soon!

Thanks for the great site!

Mark.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Mark, I'm glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums.
I've always said that if you can draw it you can build it. With your CAD experience, you can draw it. Just don't let your Engineer brain over analyze it. Just do it!!!

Dave:)

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Welcome to THE BEST site on the web.Like DaveO said if you think long you think wrong:gar-La;.The thing you need to focus on most is safety.And the cad stuff will help alot.Thats something I wish I could do:icon_scra.Just remember we LOVE picture's here.

NO PIC IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Mark. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap If you can draw it up, you can build it. And the more you build, the better and more efficient you get. I look forward to seeing some of your work and your input in the forums. :icon_thum

Also, if you can, feel free to join us in the flashchat lounge on Thursday night at 7:30. :eek:ccasion1

Dragon

New User
David
Welcome to the site. Civil engineer huh? Is that anything like honest politician? :rotflm:
Seriously, let's see some of your work. Make some sawdust and wood chips and take plenty of pictures......:gar-Bi

mockymock

New User
Mark
Paralysis by analysis somewhat applies to me, but I think that's based more upon my old style of just jumping in and then realizing halfway through that I didn't know what I was doing.....

Now I know I don't know what I'm doing, but, you can learn a lot from other people's knowledge and mistakes! So I read and read and then read again... So getting some decent tools seemed like a critical first step. I think I'm on my way in that category.

I will gladly post pictures once I actually build something!! I can post a picture of the drawings and renderings? Does that count!:eusa_danc

Thanks for the welcoming.

Mark.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Paralysis by analysis somewhat applies to me, but I think that's based more upon my old style of just jumping in and then realizing halfway through that I didn't know what I was doing.....

Now I know I don't know what I'm doing, but, you can learn a lot from other people's knowledge and mistakes! So I read and read and then read again... So getting some decent tools seemed like a critical first step. I think I'm on my way in that category.

I will gladly post pictures once I actually build something!! I can post a picture of the drawings and renderings? Does that count!:eusa_danc

Thanks for the welcoming.

Mark.

Mark,

Actually, that might be a great idea. :widea: If you're an engineer, you probably already know a lot about structural integrity, but you might get some tips on joinery, etc. :icon_thum

I remember my first project. I built a set of adirondack chairs from a plan that I got online. I laid out each board and drew the lines for every cut before I started. Then when I finished, I couldn't understand why all of my boards were a little short. :dontknow: Because I didn't think to include the 1/8" taken out by the saw blade on every cut. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Man, that was a fun project. By the time I was done, I had cut every piece of those chairs two or three times. :rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Mark!

One bit of advice from a true novice: Measure 3 times, cut once! I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to "stretch" something!
:rotflm:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome, Mark!
Remember, we don't make mistakes in woodworking . . . just design modifications :eek:ccasion1

Roger

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile. Jump right in. Where bouts in VA is Providence Forge?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welcome to the site, can't wait to see some of your projects.

And let us know what you think of that JJP-10BTOS, I was thinking of getting one until I got my ridgid.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Welcome aboard, Mark! Don't be afraid to ask if you are unsure! There are lots of geniuses on here (none of them live in this house but I know they are out there)!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site!!!!:icon_cheers

Glad to see you join and anxiously awaiting a review of that new Jet gear.

Have fun here and by all means, stay safe 'round all those power tools!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors