1.5 Millon tablesaw cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As BOD member and former Moderator I want to thank the contributors to this thread for maintaining a civil discourse on the issue. Saw Stop is one of the most controversial issues that must be dealt with here and many times people tend to flare over it. I also want to thank those that have contributed additional links on the subject. The more facts that can be gathered and digested on this issue the better we can all be at making an informed decision or opinion with its regards.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking at the data provided SawStop has paid out $20K for 1st Qrt and $30K for 2nd Qrt 2011. This to me looks like a budgeted action. Knowing companys and budgets nothing is done without expecting a return on investment!

$50K is not a serious amount of money to help influence the CPSC or legislation. That only gets you a few phone calls/emails and attendance at a few committee meetings when an issue comes up that may impact your interests. The Power Tool Institute has spent a whole lot more http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000055630&year=2011
Power Tool Institute

IMG_client_year_comp.php

through the last 4 years and has successfully stalled any action on this subject until now.

I look at this simply and am optimistic a reasonable solution will be found. If you are concerned about the cost please consider that the only solution right now is made in the US and is attached to Cadillac quality saws while ~90% of the Tablesaws sold here are made in China. Earlier a post was made about the large number of Patent applications related to this. Whatever happens will add a small additional cost to a tablesaw and not destroy it. Once this becomes standard I doubt anyone will want a tablesaw without it. Would you buy a car without seatbelts and an airbag to save a thousand dollars if you had the option? I wouldn't and I obey all the safety rules. Doo-Doo happens to too many careful, experienced and "reasonable" tablesaw users for this to be ignored.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Consumer Product Safety Commission

Here is a good link to get to the Fine Woodworking Article:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item...ablesaw-verdict&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking

Also, the CPSC has gone astray with its new leadership, Inez Tenebaum. An elementary teacher from South Carolina that went into Law and became a politician in the SC House of Representative before becoming the SC Superintendent of Education. I was an teacher in SC during her reign and the guidelines that flowed downhill were often messed up. SC went to become 50 out of 50 on the state SAT score list during her tenure. She often tried to publicize how students did better on the SC Education tests, but the trend on all national testing showed a decrease. So, what happens as soon as she loses that job, she gets promoted up to be the head of the CPSC, a job she is really unqualified for. Now, the workers and experts in the field of woodworking are going to pay the price, literally.

Seems like country leadership keeps coming back to politics and special interest groups, rather than making good decisions and solving the issues. I guess I am glad I got my new tablesaw two years ago. Sure wish someone along the way would have told Carlos Osorio that he should have learned how to use a tablesaw properly before using it and then also, at least, blamed him for not having the rip fence in place when ripping floor boards. Why aren't individual's responsible anymore?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does anybody know how this would affect the used market? Assuming it will be legal to buy a used "unsafe" saw, this would create a great market for refurbed saws. Anybody selling an old Makita 2708?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does anybody know how this would affect the used market? Assuming it will be legal to buy a used "unsafe" saw, this would create a great market for refurbed saws. Anybody selling an old Makita 2708?

This is my $0.02. I am no lawyer or expert. "Normally" rules are implemented with equipment made after a set date. I think the real impact to the trade owners (construction, commercial shops, etc) will be lawsuits from injuries that occur after the implementation on older equipment. In other words commercial owners of TS will need to get rid of their old TS and buy one with the new technology almost immediately. It may hurt some small companies up front but still less then the cost of a lawsuit.

rex1927

New User
rex
My late father used table saws from 1937-2010 and never got more than a nick.I have used them since I was old enough to reach across table.
Dad learned me how to use it so fingers would not get cut.Also use push sticks.
We never use safety guards,they just get in way and cause bad cuts.When we bought him a new tablesaw about 11 years ago,he took all those blade covers off first thing.
They are still hanging in his shop.He never got cut.I have never got cut.
If I ever do stick my finger in blade,I will not sue Craftsmen, because it will be my fault.The saw stays still.If I stick my finger in blade,thats my fault.
A lot of those government agencies should be shut down.All they do is make life more difficult.
But things usually get worse instead of better,so I am sure they will pass legislation and make it so expensive that it ruins the little wood shops.Typical government action.Ruin the little guy.
Wish I had the $500.00 to buy a new table saw now,before they outlaw them.
Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth.If you stick your finger in saw,it`s your fault,not the company who made it.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike

Thanks for the protool article Mark. So Bosch is getting sued for not having SawStop technology on a miter saw when SawStop doesn't even have a SawStop miter saw? I'm glad I went to engineering school and not law school. Anyhow, looks like we have a market now for a SawStop-style jigsaw, circular saw, band saw and scroll saw.

WadeP

New User
Wade
$50K is not a serious amount of money to help influence the CPSC or legislation. That only gets you a few phone calls/emails and attendance at a few committee meetings when an issue comes up that may impact your interests. The Power Tool Institute has spent a whole lot more http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000055630&year=2011
Power Tool Institute

IMG_client_year_comp.php

through the last 4 years and has successfully stalled any action on this subject until now.

I look at this simply and am optimistic a reasonable solution will be found. If you are concerned about the cost please consider that the only solution right now is made in the US and is attached to Cadillac quality saws while ~90% of the Tablesaws sold here are made in China. Earlier a post was made about the large number of Patent applications related to this. Whatever happens will add a small additional cost to a tablesaw and not destroy it. Once this becomes standard I doubt anyone will want a tablesaw without it. Would you buy a car without seatbelts and an airbag to save a thousand dollars if you had the option? I wouldn't and I obey all the safety rules. Doo-Doo happens to too many careful, experienced and "reasonable" tablesaw users for this to be ignored.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a lot of money, but it is enough for it to be more than "Hey, look somebody likes us! Let's spend some money and see how far this thing will go." If a television network were to spend that piddlin' amount as a donation to a politician then that politician sponsored a bill that might increase the networks profit somebody would shout 'BRIBE!!'

I'm not shouting bribe, just putting the info out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS