Search results

1. M

Impressive but unsafe Russian woodturner video.

He is really good and I did not see anything unsafe to me. He did turn the lathe off about 3:20 to remove the top. He has several videos and can use it like a spindle gouge for small coves which is almost impossible with a skew because of the width of the skew. He only uses the very tip for...
  2. M

Bowl With Black Mold

Around my house I use a 25% bleach solution (sidewalks, etc) for black mold. I think that is a higher % that Dr. Spalt recommends to halt spalting. For wood I would mix a 10% solution in a spray bottle and give it a light spritz. If it isn't gone in 30 minutes add about 5% more bleach. Only...
  3. M

Poll: Who uses a bowl scraper?

These got good reviews form quite a few turners (one is an instructor at J C Campbell). At 1.5 wide and 3/8 thick it should do the job well. $37 https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html Brian Havens has a very good video on the negative rake scraper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkR1I2Z1A4
  4. M

Wall Hanging Tool Cabinet

I made mine for turning tools but it may give you some different ideas. Closed is about 52" long 30" high and 13" deep. Shelf on inside is 5.5 wide (2X6) for chucks, finishes, sanding, etc. Doors (2x4) has pegboard installed in the center of the door. Doors are about 2' wide so that gives me...
  5. M

Green Ambrosia Maple bowl

Probably just a little diluted bleach. That is what Dr. Spalt (Sara Robinson) says anyway and she should know.
  6. M

Bowl Turning-----HELP

Mike is correct of course. My mind did not click to a round cutter I was just thinking of square or slightly radiused (and catching a corner). A round carbide in a sheer scrape should give just as good results as a bowl scraper or gouge. I present my scraper between 45 an 60 deg and Mike can...
  7. M

Bowl Turning-----HELP

Getting up with a turner should help the most. In the mean time.... What other said about sharp tools and very light cuts. I use thinned shellac as a sealer since most any finish will go over it and it dries in minutes. I thin with at least 50% DNA and usually 2 pts DNA to 1 pt shellac. I agree...
  8. M

Nova Smart Chisel

May work very well but it looks like a solution searching for a problem to me. They already have this remote as well as the watch style remote...
  9. M

Chemistry Quiz...Why does my wet maple turn purple?

I've had the same problem with wet oak. A little lemon juice, *RealLemon" is OK, and it disappears from the wood, tools, lathe bed, hands....
  10. M

Tool question

There are lots of folks making almost identical tools with a square shaft. If you have watched Del Stubbs woodturning video (early 1980's VHS) he had the same thing except with a bit of HSS soldered on the end. Someone expanded on the idea with carbide and sells lot of handles for $100 ($120 -...
  11. M

EWT or traditional tools?

Since you are planning to turn some handles.... Handle stock (1.5 X17) is available from Packards for about $6. The 1/2" bar stock, appropriate drill bit and tap should run no more than $12. The EWT are about $120? and the cutters <$20 so they want $100 for their handles. Buy the cutter and the...
  12. M

Non Variable Speed Lathe to learn on?

I agree with Neal on the Wen... 2 Amps ain't much.. I will be more generous in that it may be 1/5 HP. Curious as to why the Comet 2's are being auctioned? I bought one for my daughter 3-4 years ago when they first came out and it seems fine for up to about 10" diameter without much bogging.
  13. M

Yorkshire Grit Source?

I have watched several youtube videos where it is used but not by anyone state side that I know of. Raymond, I don't think Yorkshire Grit compares to EEE. With Yourkshire Grit you sand as normal though 200 then start with the Yorkshire. At the end you must remove all of the Yorkshire to added...
  14. M

Now what?

What the others said but... I always leave 2-4" extra for cracking so I leave mine in half log form and anchor seal the ends. If you cut into a circle to start with your 10" blank may become a 8" blank if you have much checking at all. Storing in plastic bags may be OK for the short term (week)...
  15. M

annoyed with turning knobs

They turned out very nice.:thumbs_up If you do need to do more you can make a woodworm screw. Mount some scrap 3/4 to your faceplate, drill the center on the lathe for maybe a #12 sheet metal screw. Run the screw in from the back of the faceplate and screw your work piece on. You can then...
  16. M

Tool for spindle turners

Looks like a nice caliper. The one I use was made by Corlin back in the 40's and now sold/made by Veritas. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/browseproducts/Veritas-Direct-Reading-4--Caliper.HTML Probably + and - for each style. The Veritas reads up to 4" compared to 2.5". For different...
  17. M

Harry Potter Magic Wand

Looks good. I like the offset turning. I made some for a friend of my daughter last month but not nearly as intricate as yours.
  18. M

Pros/Cons of different drying methods?

I do use DNA with many items but found it may crack more. My theory is since water is displaced with DNA it dries quicker so I coat the outside with Anchorseal after the DNA flashes off. Then into a closed paper bag with no shavings. Usually dry in no more than two months and no cracking. I...
  19. M

Skew Practice

No, but did have to use my fingers as a steady sometimes (especially with the ash). Just slower cuts and razor sharp tool.
  20. M

Skew Practice

A friend of my daughter ask to have some wands made. Since I haven't made long spindles in a while I decided to revitalize skew skills. I did get three spirals on the first but after that it went pretty smoothly. Tried to do everything with the skew except for the small coves (I'm not that...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS