Nova Smart Chisel

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I was watching James Hamilton's "Cool Tools" video from the Atlanta Woodworking show today and really liked this concept: smart tool handle that has built-in LED lighting and a rechargable remote for the lathe (only certain Nova models compatible) with on/off and speed increase/decrease.

I'm planning on buying the Nova Galaxi hopefully later this year as an upgrade to my current Rikon Midi, so this is going on the wish list. I already have a Sorby Sovereign system and really enjoy the convenience of swapping out chisels on the handles, so this should be a great addition to that.

No affiliation with Nova, just thought it was a really neat idea.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Sure sounds to be a very interesting tool James. Now that you've called our attention to it, I want to check it out too! Thanks for sharing.

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
May work very well but it looks like a solution searching for a problem to me. They already have this remote as well as the watch style remote.
https://www.cpooutlets.com/nova-555...MInNmYrqey2gIVVweGCh1v9AuzEAQYASABEgJQ5vD_BwE

I have no need to work in a hurry but changing the collet to change tool size?
Some manufacturers state what tools will work with their handles. A 1/2" X may not be the same as a 1/2" Y. A US 1/2" and a UK 1/2" bowl gouge is about 1/8" difference in diameter.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I have no need to work in a hurry but changing the collet to change tool size?
Some manufacturers state what tools will work with their handles. A 1/2" X may not be the same as a 1/2" Y. A US 1/2" and a UK 1/2" bowl gouge is about 1/8" difference in diameter.

It looks like their collet is similar or the same as the collets on my sorby sovereign handles. The chisels are held in by two set screws that go through two holes in the collet. I also have a collet that allows for tools that have a tang - I have a bowl scraper and a 3/4" oval skew that I can use in the handles. The sorby accepts a 5/8" bar diameter without a collet, and has collets for 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" bar diameters. I'm aware of the difference of the UK vs US terminology. Just use the bar diameter (waht the US terminology uses) to pick a collet. My 1/2" sorby bowl gouge fits perfectly in the 5/8" opening because they use 5/8 bar stock for their 1/2 gouges. I have a few carbides I bought from ncwoodturningtools.com that are 1/2" that use the 1/2 collet. Honestly, when I have to change the collet it's trivial. Loosen the set screws (which you have to do anyway to change the tool) and the collet slides out. Slide the new one in and the tool, and tighten the screws. Done. I have two of the sorby handles (a 22" with an extra counterweight in it, and a 12") so I set them up with the two tools I'll use most, usually the 1/2 bowl gouge on the 22" and a carbide on the 12".

To each their own. I like the flexibility. I'll put a round carbide on the 12" tool for doing spindle work, but I'll also put it on the 22" for hollowing since it gives me extra control on the inside of my bowls.

As for the remote on the nova handle, it's a nicety. What I really like is the LED lighting for doing bowl work.

I hope that I didn't sound confrontational - quite the opposite. Just explaining how I use a similar product and what I like about it. The 22" sorby handle retails for about $99 +/-. The nova handle is 24" and with the extra features, puts it in a comparable price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS