Tool question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Phillip, The nice part about having each insert, round, square, and diamond with it's own shaft and handle is you don't have to stop to disassemble to change inserts. John (https://www.ncwoodturningtools.com/shop) I believe might also be right there in Lexington as well. He's a great guy and his tools are terrific. If you get all three, round, square, and diamond, you'll come away with money in your pocket and each tool with have it's own handle. Oh wait, I bought my tool from John without a handle. Then I just turned my own style and epoxy the shaft into the handle. It's super cheap compared to the one you're looking at. Give him a holler and at least have a chat with him.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Phillip,
I am in Thomasville if you would like to come and look at them and maybe try one.
I currently out of stock and plan on start making some tomorrow.

I am out in the Pilot school/ DCCC area

John

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I almost hate to admit that I bought that tool. I also have other carbide tools that I use.
While Robert Sorby makes great traditional turning tools, this one is not
It would best be used as a marshmallow roasting stick

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Just an opinion but...
The square bottom of the Easywood to ole ensures that the tool remains in the correct position. A rounded tool handle in the case of a square cutting tool is somewhat dangerous as the wrong angle could cause a catch. I have not used these but have used the Easywood tools. These tools are aggressive and it could potentially become dangerous. In addition, the square bottom ensures if you cut too deep, the tool will not rotate out of your hand.
I assume that Easywood has this square shape patented or everyone else would be making the same tool at a more reasonable price.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Just an opinion but...
The square bottom of the Easywood to ole ensures that the tool remains in the correct position. A rounded tool handle in the case of a square cutting tool is somewhat dangerous as the wrong angle could cause a catch. I have not used these but have used the Easywood tools. These tools are aggressive and it could potentially become dangerous. In addition, the square bottom ensures if you cut too deep, the tool will not rotate out of your hand.
I assume that Easywood has this square shape patented or everyone else would be making the same tool at a more reasonable price.

Yes, but..... as I said, I requested a custom profile. I have square shafts but find when hollowing some vessels, presenting the tool while laying flat on the tool rest can be grabby and scary! I only have a 12mm round insert with a round shaft. The reason is so I can angle the insert in a negative direction, think scraper, when hollowing. There are times when this is useful. MOST of the time, I use a traditional bowl gouge. There are time however when that's just too uncomfortable and a carbide tool works better. So, I'm in somewhat agreement that I probably wouldn't have a round shaft with a square insert, or even with a round insert that I'm using on the O.D., but on the I.D., in some circumstances, I think it works better.

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
J

There are lots of folks making almost identical tools with a square shaft.
If you have watched Del Stubbs woodturning video (early 1980's VHS) he had the same thing except with a bit of HSS soldered on the end.
Someone expanded on the idea with carbide and sells lot of handles for $100 ($120 - $20 bit).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a set of Easy Wood in round and square. I wasted my money on the square tool as I don't like it, much prefer h.s. tool steel skews. I do use the round chisel some, but mostly I use the chisels I can sharpen to get the best edge. The advantage to carbide is you can get by without a sharpening system of some sort.

JGregJ

Greg
User
Wow prices at this local shop are a lot better, although looks like you make your own handles. But the insert prices are much better.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Wow prices at this local shop are a lot better, although looks like you make your own handles. But the insert prices are much better.

I bought a Sorby Sovereign handle system so I can interchange the inserts. Got a 22” handle on clearance at Woodcraft. Liked it so much I got a 12”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS