Search results

1. C

Small blanket chest project

My wife wants a sitting place in the bathroom. Not a shower seat but a place to sit while dressing, etc. I thought of a small blanket chest to match the cherry vanity I built for the bathroom a couple of years back. I worked out this design to fit into the space. It’s about 26” x 20” x 21”...
  2. C

Tea box project

A few years ago I made some boxes to hold an assortment of packaged teas at the request of my wife. I made another run of 4 boxes this year and thought I’d post one. They’re made with cherry with maple raised panels in the tops. The partitions are all removable. They fit inside the box with...
  3. C

Walnut Coffee Table project

I’ve been working on a coffee table for a frien. I’ve made several pieces for him before and we collaborated on design. I made a dining table and sofa back table/bookcase in black walnut. He specified walnut again although it’s hard to get good quality at a reasonable price. A traditional...
  4. C

Hand plane marks

I came across this article today and thought others interested in hand tool work might be interested. It has some good pictures that show plane marks on 18th century work. You can see how the undersides and back sides were planed to dimension and left unsmoothed since they would not be seen...
  5. C

Furniture style bath vanity

Back in the winter I posted the start of this in a “post what you’re building”thread. It’s been taking up room in the shop a while now waiting for tile man, plumber, and electrician to get the site demoed and rebuilt. It’s finished and installed waiting for the vanity top to be fitted out and...
  6. C

Crossgrain moulding

I recently built a spice box that needed a fairly large ( for the size of the piece) crown moulding at the top. The case is solid dovetailed and would expand and shrink over its 12 inch depth. One way to handle the crossgrain of the crown is to glue on the moulding at the front of the case and...
  7. C

Great Customer Service

In the spirit of the holiday season in the midst of a pandemic I want to report two instances of great customer service I’ve had recently. I really value retailers who go out of their way to be helpful. 1)Horton Brasses: Back in early November I ordered a set of hardware for a spice chest from...
  8. C

Shop furniture--chisel chest

Another project from offcuts and shorts that have been taking up space. I have had chisels rattling around in drawers all over the shop and wanted to gather the ones I use regularly into one place. I have to keep the chisels under cover since I don't have climate control in the shop and a tool...
  9. C

Mary May free livestreaming

Mary May is doing free livestream carving lessons while the corona crisis has classes and events cancelled. She does an hour every weekday at 1 pm. To get the livestream and the archived streams you go to Twitch.com. or the App Store for your platform. Download the free app, sign up and search...
  10. C

Foot tool?

Here’s a link to a video by Ed Hobbs about a foot powered lathe he restored. Some of you may know Ed from the M-WTCA meeting at his farm in the fall just outside Raleigh.
  11. C

Handworks 2020

Looks like Handworks is putting on another event in Sept. The website is open for registration. Got the link from Lost Art Press blog https://www.handworks.co/
  12. C

Spring joint video

This is one of the clearest explanations of the spring joint I’ve seen. I have used spring joints on every panel I’ve glued up for years. Well worth the little extra trouble. Just make sure when you open the two panels for glueing you do it book-fashion. That’s what the triangle mark is for...
  13. C

Jorgensen 6-pack clamps

These clamps that have been posted about are available at the Winston Salem LOWE’S store on south Peters Creek Pkwy (behind the Lidl store next to Walmart). I bought some this morning and I counted 12 packs left. Hint: they are not in the tool dept—they are on aisle 45 at the back of the...
  14. C

Half-size chest

After building a couple of full sized pieces in cherry I had a stack of short boards sitting around. Too nice quality to waste. I’ve been wanting to build a chest from a Lynch measured drawing but no place for it. So I decided to go for a half-size version that could be purposed for a jewelry...
  15. C

Arts and Crafts Dresser project

Recently completed a 7-drawer dresser for my son. I had built him a A&C style spindle bed and night stand about 9 years ago and he wanted to have a matching dresser. I had saved the templates I used on the original project corbels and incorporated that shape into the new design using cherry as...
  16. C

Repairs on DW635 planer

Last time I changed knives on the Dewalt 735 I found a pile of dust building up under the blower port. I took the blower housing outer half off and looked for damage or cracks but couldnt see any problem. Cleaned up the dust and reassembled it all. About a week later I was planing and noticed...
  17. C

Rule joints, hinges workshop

I see that Bill Anderson is offering his rule joint and hinge workshop at Woodwrights school this summer. I took this workshop several years ago and it is outstanding. Bill is the best on fitting tight clean rule joints. Participants make a rule joint, a wood swing-leg hinge and learn to fit...
  18. C

Aromatic cedar questions

I’m thinking of using aromatic red cedar for a drawer bottom for a dresser. The drawer is traditional construction with front and side grooves for a raised panel bottom. I’ll have to glue up the panel to get the depth of about 18 in. I’ve never worked with red cedar before. Any glue...
  19. C

M-WTCA tool meet

The fall M-WTCA tool meet is coming up at Ed Hobbs’ farm just south of Raleigh on Sept. 22. Great opportunity to buy sell or swap hand tools. There’s a variety of people selling and trading from high dollar collector tools to low cost user grade. Oh yeah there’s barbecue and fried chicken...
  20. C

Nice wide cherry

I went by the Hardwood Store today looking for some 12” plus cherry for drawer fronts on a dresser I’m building. They opened up a fresh pallet of wide stuff for me. I got a couple of 14” wide boards and an 11” with nice red color. 4.95 a board foot. I thought it was a good price for the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors