Crossgrain moulding

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I recently built a spice box that needed a fairly large ( for the size of the piece) crown moulding at the top. The case is solid dovetailed and would expand and shrink over its 12 inch depth. One way to handle the crossgrain of the crown is to glue on the moulding at the front of the case and nail or pin-nail at the back to allow for movement. That would prevent the case side from splitting over time but eventually the moulding would be loose enough to be sad looking. I read about the sliding dovetail method in Becksvoort's book on Shaker furniture and decided to try it. It is not that much extra trouble if you make the dovetail slot in the back of the moulding first and then make the tail to attach to the case by sneaking up on the fit using router table and the same bit as made the slot.

dovetail slotmoulding.jpg
dovetail slotmoulding.jpg I cut the dovetail slot by first plowing a straight slot on the table saw to give some relief for the dovetail router bit to work cleanly.

sliding dovetailfitting.jpg
sliding dovetailfitting.jpg The poplar dove tail strip is made by starting with a board planed to the maximum width of the tail then run one side vertically past the dovetail bit at the same depth as the slot and just deep enough to cut the full dovetail profile on one side. Then to profile the other side start a little wider than the dovetail slot and sneak up on a tight slide fit by matching the tail to the slot. When it just barely slides in you are good.

If there is a trick it is to mark and attach the dovetail to the case as one strip at the right depth so your moulding trues up where you want it. Rip off the dove tail from the board so it is just the right depth for the slot. Then hand plane off a thin shaving from the case side so the tail strip is just thinner than the slot is deep. That way it will be tight when you slide the moulding on. Then attach the strip at several places as in the photos. Last step is to chisel out breaks in the strip so it can move as independent pieces with the case. ( I wish I had a photo of this step to add, but I don't-- I forgot --what you see is after the strip has been attached to the case and chiseled into sections to allow movement.)
When you slide the moulding on make sure it is tight but movable along the full length--then glue it only near the front of the case and at the front miter..

rear top corner detail2.jpg
dovetail slotmoulding.jpgsliding dovetailfitting.jpgrear top corner detail2.jpgLast photo shows how the finished joint looks from the rear of the case. You can see the case has shrunk a bit (about 1/16") since i brought the case into the heated and dry house environment. When I finished the case a while back the moulding was planed flush with the case.

boxopen.jpg
boxopen.jpg Heres the finished box
boxclosed.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! That is a stunningly beautiful chest! Thank you for sharing the methods you used in crafting the chest...you are a true craftsman!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As always Charlie, your work is outstanding. Beautiful piece. Christian Becksvoort has long been one of my favorite contributors to FWW.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Super nice work & beautiful grain selection.

I'm confused a little it looks like the moulding is beveled along the top in one pic, but not the other.

Not worried about it getting loose? Another way is glue to the bottom of the top, since its frame and panel.

Back in the old days they would have just nailed it on. :)

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Beautiful craftsmanship, as always! Thanks for sharing your project with us Charlie; gorgeous spice box!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Love and I REALLY like that Phil's work inspired you to make your version!

One question (and I apologize if I missed it) what is the finish you used?
Did you stain or change the colour of the wood in anyway before you finished it?

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Super nice work & beautiful grain selection.

I'm confused a little it looks like the moulding is beveled along the top in one pic, but not the other.

Not worried about it getting loose? Another way is glue to the bottom of the top, since its frame and panel.

Back in the old days they would have just nailed it on. :)
The molding is not beveled across the top, just looks that way from tilted camera. The view where the molding is laying across the top of the case shows actual profile.
The case is solid dovetail case, not frame and panel. So any way of gluing the full length of molding would be cross grain.
You are right that in the past they would have simply nailed on the molding, but that always results in loose molding at some point. Nailing is the most time efficient way of dealing with it.
To attach the foot mounding I used elongated screw slots at the rear of case.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Love and I REALLY like that Phil's work inspired you to make your version!

One question (and I apologize if I missed it) what is the finish you used?
Did you stain or change the colour of the wood in anyway before you finished it?
No stain, I used Tried and True varnish oil 50/50 with Epifanes interior rubbed effect. Rubbed on really thin and rubbed off till dry.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS