Search results

1. Kalai

Box of Hawaiian Wood

Hi everyone I made 10 real nice boxes full of Koa and other Hawaiian woods,( this offer is for members of NC Woodworker) there is in each box 1 Koa block at least 5x5x2 (I can cut this round if you want), 1 4x2 turning round of either Koa, lychee, Mango or Monkey Pod, 7-9 bottle stopper blanks...
  2. Kalai

Hawaiian Milo Goblet W captive ring

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing fine, I wish I was there to see the colors change for the fall, we don't have that here in Hawaii. Well this is a Milo goblet with a captive ring that I made, it was fun and very easy to make, if any are interested I can make a post with pictures and...
  3. Kalai

Spaulting???

Aloha everyone, I was wondering about Spaulting wood:icon_scra, I have tried without any luck to spault Norfolk pine and Mango and other woods that spault but I can't do it all the time, sometimes it works real good, sometimes it works okay and sometimes it does not work.:dontknow: Does anyone...
  4. Kalai

Monkey pod rounds + more

Hi everyone, this offer is only for NCWoodworker members. I have 2 size boxes 1 small flat rate priority mail box and 1 large flat rate box. . I can fit about 5 rounds of various sizes in the SMALL BOX as you can see in the picture and I will fill the rest of the box with Koa pen blanks and...
  5. Kalai

Hawaiian Monkey Pod plate

Hi everyone, this is a Monkey Pod plate I made, it is 7" in dia and 2" thick. It is nice like Koa but Koa cost a lot more, even here in Hawaii:icon_scra. In the 1940's there were a few companies here in Hawaii that made a lot of Monkey Pod bowls, one of them was Blairs and another was House of...
  6. Kalai

Hawaiian Monkey Pod Tree/wood

Aloha everyone, this is one of the things I have been doing that has been keeping me busy, if I did this right there should be 3 pictures of a Hawaiian Monkey Pod tree, you can see the ocean in the background, it is a real nice area with a great view, I am working on a 8000 acre parcle that has...
  7. Kalai

Aloha everyone

Hi everyone, it has been some time now since I have had time to post here, between a order for 200 more Koa bowls and 1500 pairs of Koa chop sticks and harvesting wood and many other things I won't bore you guys with, I just have not had the time, but I am able to take a break now and I will be...
  8. Kalai

What wood should I use?

Hi everyone, I do not do carving but I want to get some wood for my Dad to carve, I want to get some wood to make a cover for a photo album and my Dad is going to do some carving on the cover, I want a wood that looks nice and that is easy to carve, any ideas on what would be a good wood to use...
  9. Kalai

Hawaiian Norfolk Pine vase's

Hi everyone, sorry I have not posted very much recently but since I am a fulltime woodworker I get busy sometimes, I have been working on a order of 50 Koa bowls, I have about another week of work and then they should be done but I had to take a break from the bowls and I turned 6 Norfolk Pine...
  10. Kalai

Question,Please Help

HI everyone, I have a question about the size wood you buy or would want to buy. I have logs and I do not know if I should cut 1" boards or 2 ' or what.:dontknow: I see places that sell turning squares, bowl blanks, pen blanks and other size boards, do most people look for the turning squares...
  11. Kalai

Curly Koa Gavel and Base

Hi everyone, this is a curly Koa gavel and base I made, the gavel is 12 inches long and 2.5 inches in dia. I like to turn these because they are fast. The finish is just a laquer finish. Aloha. Kalai:icon_thum
  12. Kalai

Giant Mango bowl

Hi everyone, first of all I have not posted for awhile because I had a problem with my thumb and my bandsaw:saw:, ouch!!! Well let me say my bandsaw was off and I was taking off the wheel pully so I could change the bearings in the saw, I did not have a puller so I cut out some wedges on my...
  13. Kalai

How to deal with torn end grain

Hi everyone, this is in response to a question from DaveO about torn end grain in bowls.:icon_scra The best way to take care of torn end grain is tools and technique, and of course certain woods carve better than others and will give you more, or less torn end grain. :eusa_dancA good example of...
  14. Kalai

How do I make a Koa bowl?

Hi everyone, I know you folks like pictures so I thought I would take some pictures of how I make a Koa bowl. :) The first picture shows the Koa logs. Then we have the Bandsaw mill with a log being milled. Next is the Koa slabs all milled and ready to be made into bowls. Then I...
  15. Kalai

Norfolk Pine Vase

Hi everyone, here is a Norfolk Pine vase I made, it measures 6" tall and 4" in dia. You can see the 2 knots in the picture. Norfolk Pine is mostly white and has the red knots going all the way around the tree, when it is done curing there is some bluish to black stains from mold that attacks it...
  16. Kalai

Spaulted Mango Bowl

Hi everyone, I posted a picture of my home made lathe a few days ago and there was a Mango bowl that I was finishing on the lathe in the picture, well this is the Mango bowl all finished, I like this piece because not only is it spaulted but it is curly too, the bowl is 17"x 14" tall. This...
  17. Kalai

Just to let you know

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you folks know that I think that this is a great place and I am greatfull to be a part of it, I wish I could participate in person with NC Woodworkers, go to the shop crawls and stuff like that:dontknow: but I cant so I hope you dont mind me spending a lot of...
  18. Kalai

Mini bowls and vases

Hi everyone, one of my lathes is a mini lathe and this is a bunch of miniature bowls and vases I made. If you look in the picture you will see a small table with 3 small turnings on it, the table is made from Olopua (Hawaiian Olive wood) and it is about 1.25 inches in diameter, that will give...
  19. Kalai

Home made lathe and big Mango bowl

Hi everyone, this is my big home made lathe it can turn up to 4 feet 8 inches in dia. and it has a 3 hp motor going through a old jeep transmission, I even have reverse:eusa_clap, it has a cam action tool rest too, I have a tailstock for it but I have never needed to use it yet. The big bowl is...
  20. Kalai

Curly Koa pen blanks for sale

Hi everyone, I have about 45 of these premium Curly Koa pen blanks for sale, this is some of the best curly Koa I have seen in a long time the curly grain is on all 4 sides. The cost is $7 ea. and shipping in a flat rate priority mail package is $4.75 for up to 12 blanks, if you only order a...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS