Norfolk Pine Vase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi everyone, here is a Norfolk Pine vase I made, it measures 6" tall and 4" in dia. You can see the 2 knots in the picture. Norfolk Pine is mostly white and has the red knots going all the way around the tree, when it is done curing there is some bluish to black stains from mold that attacks it as it is drying but what I do to get nice color in Norfolk Pine is to soak it in polyurathane for about 24 hrs and then let it dry and I can buff it or I can apply a gloss coat of polly depending on if I want a wet gloss look of just a nice polished look, when the Norfolk Pine is soaked like this it will turn the nice orange yellow color m if you have a thin platter and you soak it in poly then it will have a translucent effect. Aloha.

Kalai:icon_thum
nipvase003.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
That turned out really well!! I love the way the colors came through - just like you had painted accents. Great job! Was it a difficult wood to turn? Was is dry when you turned it?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That looks nice. I am always ready to look at a picture when I see your name beside the post because of your beautiful work.:notworthy:

Glennbear

Glenn
I am in VA, the state with NORFOLK in it. A recent thread on the forum concerned the blue denim splating you mentioned. I guess those folks who want to get the coloration just have to ship the local pine to HI :rotflm: Unfortunately Norfolk Pine from the Pacific island cannot be cultivated here because it is not cold tolerant. That is an interesting finishing method, I have never heard of poly soaking but it makes sense for maximum penetration, was it thinned at all ? :wsmile:

skeeter

New User
Charles
Kalai, that is some nice work on the vase. I also like the pine, it has an awesome grain pattern.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments, I like the Norfolk Pine a lot, it woks good and sands good too.
Cathy, I turn the basic shape of the vase when it is wet and then I let it dry for 3-6 months and then I finish it up, Norfolk Pine is a stable wood so I do not need to worry about warping :)
Thanks for the kind words Tracey, you will be seeing a lot more, I am trying to put some in my album too.
Glen that is some good info, I guess I could send you guys some of the mold spores but I do not think the State Gov. would like that, I do know a guy over here that uses dyes to change the color, I have even thought of injecting the dye into a live growing Norfolk Pine tree so it would take up the dye through it's internal system, I saw a guy in Colorado doing this with Aspen trees, the bowls look nice. I do thin the Poly just a bit, about 1 cup thinner to 1 gallon poly. Aloha to all :)

Kalai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS