Search results

1. T

Is there a suitable, cost effective replacement for cypress?

Afternoon, I have been attempting to find a suitable, affordable replacement for cypress, which I use for outdoor furniture and stuff. Cypress has become obscenely expensive if you can find it. Thanks for you input. Tony
  2. T

Drawer slide set back from front of cabinet?

Evening, I purchased a number of Knape/Vogt drawer slides, KV TT100, 22" for mounting in our kitchen cabinets. I cannot find anywhere the setting for how far back from the front edge of the cabinet these are to be set? Our cabinets are frameless style and the "false" drawer fronts will overlay...
  3. T

Wanted: 4x4x8 or 5x5x8 Rough textured Hemlock of Pine post

Looking to replace some existing post on a log home and these seem to be hard to come across. Would prefer Hemlock if possible. Trying not to have to travel too far from Raleigh\Durham area but gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks, TS
  4. T

Kitchen cabinet drawer spacing, layout

Morning, hope this finds you all doing well! I am beginning the process to build a series of lower/upper cabinets for our kitchen. The cabinets will be without face frames. The uppers I think I have a handle on, pretty much. The lowers are where I am stuck a bit. We want a couple of lower...
  5. T

Experience with "French Cleats" for hanging kitchen cabinets?

Morning, I am looking for feedback, examples and useful tips for using this method of hanging new kitchen cabinets. We are rejuvenating a part of our home and I thought it would be cool to use this method. I plan to build the cabinets, uppers and lowers as well face frames using the Kreg Jig. I...
  6. T

Best method to put together cabinets/shelves

All, I am preparing to make a dozen or so cabinets/shelf units (craft storage for the Mrs) with adjustable shelves as well as fixed shelves into which will go a number of drawers. I have read varies articles/books/how to's on joining the cases together. Rabbets, dados, biscuits (do not have the...
  7. T

Where to find affordable, quality plywood

Evening, Could someone point me to a good place to purchase affordable 4x8 sheets of 1/2 and 3/4 thick hardwood and/or pine plywood? I have checked out the BORG offerings and for the most part they are KRAP. If I have to travel a considerable distance I will but local would be great. I have...
  8. T

Which wood is good for turning a simple carvers mallet?

Evening all, I am getting back into turning after a long absence from it, I am really not much past a beginner, the basics down, continuing to learn. I was given 4-5 pieces of dogwood, 4-5" diameter and 15-16" long to try my hand with (so about firewood size). They had been sitting out for a...
  9. T

Hi again, all!!

Just re-introducing myself, I have been out of commission for quiet a while, on and off again health issues (way too many) plus being laid off (which did not help the health issues), trying to find a new job...Seems when it rains sometimes it certainly does pour!! But thankfully, all that is...
  10. T

Furniture refinisher?

Evening, Asking to see if anyone here does furniture refinishing? I guy I know is new to the area, we were talking about wood working, projects and furniture, asked if I know anyone does refinishing? I believe it is a couple of old wooden chairs..? If you may be interested I would be happy to...
  11. T

Router jig for cutting bench dog holes?

Afternoon all, I remember reading an article/watching a video where a guy used a jig of some sort with a router, to get "dead-on spacing/accuracy" for these but for the life of me, cannot seem to remember where or who did it? Anyone here have any experience with such a thing? I am planing to...
  12. T

Recommendation for small handheld router

Morning all, I am looking into purchasing one of these but have never used one. I know there are variable speed models as well as other options..... Would appreciate your suggestions/comments for a good, well priced model. It will be used for some trim/finish carpentry, cabinet work, detail/work...
  13. T

Trying to find Jointer blades-8" Sun Hill CT-204L

Afternoon, I am asking to see if anyone here uses this jointer or knows where I might find a set of replacement blades and the tool to install them? I do not think the original ones can be resharpened or even if I should try to get them re-sharpened. Thanks in advance for your input. Tony ...
  14. T

Prescription Safety glasses

Anyone know of a good place to get these? Thanks, tony ...
  15. T

Great selection, price/awesome place

I stopped out at Scott's place http://www.quartersawnoak.com yesterday evening to pickup some red oak boards, I do not think my jaw left the floor most of the short while I was there....I think he may have noticed......:-) :-) What a huge, well laid out, machines everywhere place.....did I...
  16. T

Need some kiln dried red oak

Afternoon all, I have not been on in quite a while, hope everyone is doing well these days... Starting to build a new entertainment center and find that I need some oak boards for some of the pieces as well as the trim... Looking to buy approx. 30 board feet, if my calculations are...
  17. T

Cannot seem to get the hang of Jointer

I have had a 8" Jointer for quite some time, but I do not get much use out of it least ways not near as much as I would like to out of it. I had purchased it as I had started using more rough cut lumber purchased through various sawyers here in NC. When I try to use it to flatten boards, one end...
  18. T

Earlier could not login message-disregard

Evening, I had sent a email to the administrator requesting assistance because I had forgotten my password. Well, immediately after I sent it, my feeble brain bulb kicked in... The request was sent with a reply address of (email deleted to avert the spambots) So, please disregard the assistance...
  19. T

Losing my job!!

Well, the governors cuts have finally hit home! I am a retired, disable vet, four mouths to feed, mortgage, .....I have been working as a IT Manager/Project Manager for N.C. State University for the past six years. I was notified this past Tuesday that my position will be eliminated as of June...
  20. T

Advice on technique? Couple of issues

Hi all, Jointer: Seems I must be doing something wrong here...I have an 8" jointer, never had any issues with it. Do not know if I just noticed it or I have always had the problem but, when I lay one of the wide faces down to flatten it, the end up front always ends up noticeably thinner. I do...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS