% moister in wood for flooring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman

New User
barry
Thanks Scott ...... that is not too far to travel for me. leaning to hickory or oak all would be 4/4 stock approx 1500-2000 bf how much can you do at in a load ?

J

jeff...

maybe a 1500 -2000 bf would do the job the wife does not conceptualize very well :BangHead: :BangHead: i would have to put a sample together for her to look at before we would be able to pull the trigger on that quantity.....i did get some from you in one of the lumber runs but that is still drying not sure ......came across some free logs big oaks about 3ft dia 4 logs 8-10 ft long .....hope to bring them to you and Ted soon :icon_thum :icon_thum

Barry, keep me post on what you would like to do with the hickory, so far the logs have not sprouted legs and walked out of the log yard.

I'd be more than happy to slice up those 3' diam oaks for your. At that size and depending on the log grade they may be good to QS. The lumber might also make a nice charge for Scott's kiln. Let me know if you need help getting the logs out here.

Thanks

J

jeff...

that would the way i would want to cut them ......you got a log truck?

Barry .30 a BF to flat saw .50 to QS. I don't have a log turck but am pretty sure I can get a truck down there that would be able to pull the logs back, I'll have to see what that will cost you . You got a means to load them?

Thanks

bman

New User
barry
i can got that red trailer i think i could bring um to you 1 or 2 at a time loading maybe a problem iF she will give me the two weeks i need than we got that covered how long would it take to cutup (qs) a log that size ?

J

jeff...

Barry you bring them I'll cut them, I have not run accross a tree yet that I can;t make lumber out of. It's hard for me to estimate how long it will take to cut them without seeing them up close and personal, that's why I gave you a BF price instaed of by the hour price.
If your sure these are around 30 ~ 36" diam (measured accross the small end of the log) they will be about the right size to be QS. If there over that size and depending on the taper I may have to rip em in half with a chain saw to be able to get them on the mill, that will cost a a little more but not much more.

We'll talk details when you bring a log or two up to the yard and I can see what will be involved.

BTW is this Red or White oak?

Thanks

bman

New User
barry
i believe red could be white he made mission style furn and had he own mill just never cut these and they are moving to Hawaii he is already there..... been dealing with his wife and she is not sure ..... there are more than 4 logs there most are smaller i think good quality on the big ones close growth rings maybe 16th - 1\8 " apart i am going to get them all some may be firewood

J

jeff...

ok it's mysery oak then - I like mysteries... Once ripped open we'll know for sure what it is.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
bman, typically for hickory or oak I like to put about 2K bd feet in the kiln, so that would work out well.

Time in kiln and cost would be dependant upon initial MC. I'll be glad to send you a PM with some budgetary estimates, should you wish.

Do you know how long the logs have been laying? If significant checking is visible on the ends of the logs, consider cutting them back 12" or so and coating the ends of the logs with a sealer immediately prior to milling.

Here's why. Most degrade occurs in lumber between the time that it is felled and when it decreases to 25% MC. If it's air dried first and the ends check, oftentimes the checks will continue significantly into the boards while they are in the kiln.

If the checking can be cut off from the ends of the boards prior to entering the kiln, then there is not an existing crack to expand, and you end up with a higher quality end product.

Scott

bman

New User
barry
jeff
i just got a reply back from the log lady now she want 200$ for the logs i told her i would remove them for her but all the trouble to collect them i won't going to pay for them .....her realtor wants them gone so we may still get them

bman

New User
barry
yeah i would like that scott ......but let me get the logs first.....lot of things to consider ..... just reasearching the posiblites ....but thanks for the reply

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Barry, I have never tried to dry 2/4 lumber, but I would approach it by making sure that it was well stickered, and I would probably be inclinded to place a few hundred pounds of weight on top of the lumber stacks, to help keep the board straight during drying.

The nice thing about the DH kiln is that you can control the amount of MC loss daily, which should increase the quality of the thinner boards (versus air drying).

Scott

bman

New User
barry
Scott
it is nice to have the right tool to do the right job..... i am sure you have heard this before.....YOU SUCK !!!!!! so which of the deadly sins is envy .....I AM GUILTY

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
<grin>

And I haven't even peeled the onion back all the way yet... Still got a few layers to go!

Seriously - you are so right about having the right tool to do the job. Makes a world of difference sometimes.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
wonder if I can zoom in to your shop with Google Maps? He he he.... Where is the smiley for evil grin???

J

jeff...

Barry did you decide if your gonna need that hickory? Please Let me know in advance I want to try a new (expensive) blade out on it and need to order it first.

Thanks

bman

New User
barry
right now i am still holding on if i can get that oak .....what would a 1000bf 4/4 i pick up.... run any width will do the LOML wont have any wide boards with out a historical reference(got to love um) use my email bvankuren@nc.rr.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS