Stain for cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am trying to find a stain that is on cabinets in Lowes. The wood is cherry and it has a brown tone to it. The name maybe Sunset but I am not sure of that. Can anyone help me find a color that would give a lite brown look to cherry? I prefer a wipe on stain if possible.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I am trying to find a stain that is on cabinets in Lowes. The wood is cherry and it has a brown tone to it. The name maybe Sunset but I am not sure of that. Can anyone help me find a color that would give a lite brown look to cherry? I prefer a wipe on stain if possible.

I hate staining cherry because it has such a nice natural color. If you have to stain, with a pigment stain, you probably want to try a GEL brown mahogany or cherry stain. If splotching is an issue seal the wood with a coat of finish before applying the stain and then treat the stain like a glaze using your wiping pressure to adjust the darkness. To match the color extactly I suspect you'll need to mix some stains together. There is a lot of info on color matching that can help, but I can't type it all. If I had to color cherry I'd go with a toner and then glaze to get the overtones right. That is how production cabinets are finished.

Good Luck,

John

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

BLASPHEMY! Staining Cherry? It will take on that lovely patina you are looking for quickly enough, exposed to some sunlight. That material in Lowe's is likely not actually cherry, but some other wood stained to look like it.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Lorraine, 5 or 6 years ago I built 3 dressers ( 1 large and 2 small) out of cherry and finished them with a clear oil. I don't rember which brand. The dressers have aged to a pleasing reddish brown. This year I made 2 bedside tables to be used with them and I knew the new color would be too light to match. After some test pieces, I found the Olympia Gel Stain in cherry color matched just right. I think I sealed the tables with blond shelac first. Try some on some scraps first and you might like 5-6 years of aging. It has sold me on gell stains.

J

jeff...

Stain - what's that? It's a bad 5 letter word, when it comes to wood, that's what it is. I am 100% hard-core anti-wood stain conservative, but not necessarily republican :lol:

dtomasch

New User
David
I vote natural danish oil and wax. It's a bit higher maintence, but "hand rubbed" on cherry is BEAUTIFUL!!! Trying to match production cabinets defeats the purpose of building your own. It's cheaper, easier, and much less headache to buy cabinets from Lowes. Build and finish furniture, don't aim for the status quo! Just my opinion, which, as we all know is just like an armpit....we all have em:rolf:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Lorraine,

Does the cherry have sapwood (no pun intended)? If you want to even out the color then dyes are the way to go. As WG (and Jeff Jewitt) have said, most production cherry furniture is dyed to achieve consistent coloring. Of course, it all depends on what you want to achieve. :)

HTH,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors