6 or 8" jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalsh627

New User
Steve
I am in the early stages of buying a jointer. My question is should I be looking at 6 or 8 inch.

I do a mix of small projects and furniture and it is purely a hobby. It seems the consensus is to go straight to the 8 inch because if you buy the 6 inch you'll just upgrade later. The problem I have is that I rarely use wide boards without ripping them in half anyways. My father was a woodworker and taught me it is usually better to rip a wide board in half and re-glue it to prevent/cure cupping and strengthen the board. I also made a sled for my planer that joints well enough with boards up to 13 inches (I usually have to touch it up with a hand plane after).

Also the 8" obviously cost more and I would have to get my barn wired for 220v, which would be an additional expense.

I am just looking to save a little time with my edge jointing mainly and be able to face joint from time to time.

Since I'm sure many of you have been through this before I was looking for opinions. Does it sound like a 6" is enough, or will it be once I get a jointer I'll start relying on it more and more and wish I had an 8"? Also how do people feel about grizzly jointers? I know they are no powermatic, but are they good enough for a hobbyist? I was looking at this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654. I'm also keeping my eye on craigslist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
A used 6" delta 3 knife head can be found under $200. If you are willing to take the the time to find and possibly restore and older piece of Iron you might even get one for less. 8" are less common in the used market and cost quite a bit more. If you have a planer set up for jointing, then I would say you could do well with a 6" jointer. Worse comes to worse and you out grow it then the 6" will get you through till you locate an 8".

Having said that, an 8" jointer with a helical replaceable cutter head is a sweet machine. quiet, noticeably smooth surface and easy to change the cutting edges. If you really want an 8", which should take care of your needs then start saving for one of those.

I have no Grizzly experience.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
... Also how do people feel about grizzly jointers? I know they are no powermatic, but are they good enough for a hobbyist?

I have the Grizzly 15" planer with spiral cutterhead. Overall, I really like it and I think it is a good value. My dad has the similar 15" powermatic with a Byrd Shelix. It isn't noticeably different. I have a Grizzly 17" bandsaw, I also like it a lot. My dad has a 14" Laguna. I like my 17" Grizzly better.

Drew Roy

New User
Drew
I have been buying Grizzly tools for almost 20 years...Solid tools and machinery. you will not be sorry if you head in that direction you might PM skymaster he has a 12 inch Jet planer/joiner combination machine that he is thinking about shedding. And yes start the process of getting 220 in your shop. Air compressors, saws and other toys will be appreciative along with your power bill.:D

mcsincnj

New User
Mike Miller
I would use the following criteria: Will a larger jointer fit in my shop and can I afford the larger jointer and the maintenance costs. I worked in a professional shop for many years and the jointers available were 8" and 12+". Most lumber was 12x2 and larger.

In the case of some tools, bigger is better. I wish I had a 24"thickness planer LOL!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I agree that if the money and space is there for the 8" jointer, go with that. Otherwise you can probably get by with a 6" and still be very happy. I own a 6" now and will upgrade someday to an 8". I have never owned an 8" jointer and have built some pretty big projects.

Red

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
next time you are at the lumber yard spot check what is available under 6" and under 8". Thats one reason I upsized. The boards I wanted were usually bigger than 6" and I didn't really want to throw/waste the 1-2" just to get the board.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What everyone else said (get the 8" unless its clear you do not have the space or money).

I would also encourage you NOT to rip down wider boards. Your father was not wrong, but there are other strategies for dealing with wood movement in wider boards while still preserving the aesthetics of the wider board(s).

-Mark

gator

George
Corporate Member
Many years ago I asked myself the same question. In doing some unscientific research, I found the vast majority of the boards I used were less than six inches or 10+ inches. I went with six because I could not afford a twelve inch jointer. Personally I would go from a six inch to a twelve inch if I could afford it, for me the eight inch would not help very much.

George

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I don't have a jointer at all, so no dog in the fight. That doesn't keep me from looking at what's available on CL on a regular basis! :D

Hey maybe this 8" one is a good deal.... :dontknow:

B.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
lots of good input on this thread. I don't see the need for the added expense for the extra 2" unless your doing cabinets or furniture. Another plus here for Grizzly. I have used them for 20 + yrs also and still love em:gar-La;

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have been buying Grizzly tools for almost 20 years...Solid tools and machinery. you will not be sorry if you head in that direction you might PM skymaster he has a 12 inch Jet planer/joiner combination machine that he is thinking about shedding. And yes start the process of getting 220 in your shop. Air compressors, saws and other toys will be appreciative along with your power bill.:D

FYI: 220v machines don't use any less electricity than their 110v counterparts. 2x the voltage and 1/2 the current is the same amount of power.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have a 6" jointer, but have used it on a lot of 8-9" boards. I run one pass then hand plane the "step" to match. After running the board thru a 12" benchtop planer, I usually flip it and lightly hit the jointed side too. I couldn't talk myself into the extra money for my hobby workshop.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The 8" jointer will have a longer bed. That makes it easier to joint the edge and make it straight. You may be trying to edge joint a 6' long board on a 6" jointer and find you aren't pleased with the result.

Roy G

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am in the early stages of buying a jointer. My question is should I be looking at 6 or 8 inch.

I do a mix of small projects and furniture and it is purely a hobby. It seems the consensus is to go straight to the 8 inch because if you buy the 6 inch you'll just upgrade later. The problem I have is that I rarely use wide boards without ripping them in half anyways. My father was a woodworker and taught me it is usually better to rip a wide board in half and re-glue it to prevent/cure cupping and strengthen the board. I also made a sled for my planer that joints well enough with boards up to 13 inches (I usually have to touch it up with a hand plane after).

Also the 8" obviously cost more and I would have to get my barn wired for 220v, which would be an additional expense.

I am just looking to save a little time with my edge jointing mainly and be able to face joint from time to time.

Since I'm sure many of you have been through this before I was looking for opinions. Does it sound like a 6" is enough, or will it be once I get a jointer I'll start relying on it more and more and wish I had an 8"? Also how do people feel about grizzly jointers? I know they are no powermatic, but are they good enough for a hobbyist? I was looking at this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654. I'm also keeping my eye on craigslist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sadly, as is with most of these "should I buy this or that" posts, we dont have enough information to properly help you. Do you have enough room for a 8" jointer?. Since most 8" jointers are 220v machines, do you have that available?. What is your budget?. What length of pieces do you normally make or are you limited by your equipment now?. Are you in this for the long haul?. Once you answer these questions, the answer may be clear. As a side note, I wouldnt be afraid to buy any Grizzly stationary equipment. Hope this helps.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I own a 3-bladed 6" jointer. I build cabinets and furniturenearly fulltime. The "occassional" wide board I need faced, I cut to rough length and run it through the planer on a sled. Wide boards I purchase come faced with one edge jointed. It is not often (i.e., never) that I've wished for bigger.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I was lucky enough to find a really sweet deal on a Grizzly 8" jointer a few months ago. Having done all kinds of work-arounds to make do without one, I was ready to settle for a 6". Now, I am glad I got the bigger one, mostly because of the longer bed. I have several Grizzly tools, including table saw, dust cyclone, drum sander, and now the jointer, and I am pleased with them. All but the table saw came from Craigslist deals, btw.

swalsh627

New User
Steve
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still not set on which size I'll get, but I'll use all your suggestions in my decision. Probably still about a month away from a purchase unless a great Craigslist post comes up. Have to convince the wife we need to wire the barn for 220.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS