Zero tolerance insert fine tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I just put the zero tolerance insert in my table saw and it won't sit flat. I can get the front flush with the top of the table but, the back left is low and if I bring it up flush then the front sits high and doesn't even touch. This is the Craftsman 10' that had the rusty top.

My question is where do I start removing material from the underside of the insert to correct this? Second question is what is the best way to remove the material?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What's it made out of??? A router can be carefully used to take out small areas to allow it to sit lower or a chisel will work just as well if it is material that you want to put a chisel to. If it sits too low you can either put small screws in the underside to act as lifters or tap threads and add set screws to level it. Even if it sits flush it is a good idea to recess the areas that sit on the tabs inside the throat and add the screws to be able to fine tune the fit.
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
got lucky with mine, I guess. no adjusting screws, no cutting for the mounting tabs, just whack firmly in place (tight fit for the dado plate) with a mallet. SWEET.

on yours, the opposite corner goes up when you adjust the other corner up, too??? how snug is the fit in the other corners. may want to take a little material off, in the sideXside fit????? if DaveO's suggestions don't work for you.

MikeH

New User
Mike
What's it made out of??? A router can be carefully used to take out small areas to allow it to sit lower or a chisel will work just as well if it is material that you want to put a chisel to. If it sits too low you can either put small screws in the underside to act as lifters or tap threads and add set screws to level it. Even if it sits flush it is a good idea to recess the areas that sit on the tabs inside the throat and add the screws to be able to fine tune the fit.

It's one from WC but, I am not sure what the material is but, it is pretty hard. It has four set screws (1 in each "corner").

P10100011.JPG

I went out to take the picture of the insert and tweaked the set screws and I now have it flash all the way around. Thanks for the input.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's why I was wondering what it was made out of, most commercial ZCI have the leveling screws. Glad you got it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors