Yet another workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Like everyone I needed a workbench to do assembly and other thing on. The store where my wife’s works moved into what use to be a physical therapist office there were two PT table left behind. All they were was two cabinets with a padded board between them giving them about a 6ft table to lay on. My wife’s boss was going to toss them in the Dumpster so my wife call and asked if I would want them. I raced over to look and after taking the tops of I had 4 perfectly good 24x29x29-inch cabinets. They all came home with me.

So I took 2 cabinets and screwed them together. Got two sheets of ¾" MDF cut to 72" long then made them 32" wide for the top and bottom then took the cut off and place them in the center, side-by-each. That gave me 2 ¼ inch thick platform. I glued and screw the MDF together then trimed to square all four sides. Then cut a sheet of ¼" hardboard for a replaceable top. I faced it with Red oak I had laying around. But when I put it on the cabinets it was to low and I wanted to also use it as an out feed table. So I put a sheet of ½" ply cut to fit on the cabinets then a standard 2x4 cut into 3 length and trimmed the edges flat and spaced on the cabinets. When I place the top on that it was just the right height and I also have a nice cubbyhole to place things under the top. The top overhangs 12" on both ends and 3" front and back. Put a Harbor Freight vise (questionable quality) on the side and my son had bought me a small wood vise last year so I put it on the end. I’ve been using it for about a month now and it is great, especially when there wasn’t one before. I’ll see how durable it is, maybe it will last a few years and then I’ll make a better one.
That is my new workbench. :icon_thum Sorry so long winded.

PS: Cold spell coming this weekend with high around 70 and low around 40.:eusa_danc

Thanks for looking.
Norm

dozer

Mike
looks like a a great work bench and the price for materials seems low enough. Good job and nice recycling.

Hardcharger14

New User
Steve
I bought ($10) a portable ( casters ) chemistry lab table from local community college. Plan to do basically the same thing. Hope it turns out as well as yours. Steve Mc

sapwood

New User
Roger
Norm,
Fine looking bench at an awesome price!
And it couldn't have happened without resourceful thinking :icon_thum

Roger

M

McRabbet

Great idea to add the 2x risers to make the bench double as you outfeed table ... but can't say I like the paint scheme on the original cabinets...:roll:

Rob

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Thank you all for the kind words. As for the paint scheme, being color blind has its benifits, as it helps me overlook these minor details as long as it is functional.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors