WW Show Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but that's a small show. Other than Lee Valley, I don't see any of our other sponsors. I'd come for Lee Valley alone but there's not much else.

M

McRabbet

Woodworkers need to support this show or they may pull out for future ones. Attendance is important, so as many as possible should try to get there.

thesource

New User
Rick
The Woodworking Source will have a booth, too.
There will be plenty of woodworking stuff there, even though it's not a big show.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see 3 booths there for turning groups. Looks like the dark side will be well represented.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Woodworking Source will have a booth, too.
There will be plenty of woodworking stuff there, even though it's not a big show.

Rick, sorry I did not see you listed. Glad you will be there. What is your booth number?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but that's a small show. Other than Lee Valley, I don't see any of our other sponsors. I'd come for Lee Valley alone but there's not much else.
It's not just the vendors, but the demo's, meeting other woodworkers, and some drooling. I usually wind up buying trinkets, the items that cost more to ship, than they cost. Unfortunately, Charlotte is one of the smallest shows, but if we don't go, neither will the vendors. I can remember when it was elbow to elbow in there. Spend some time at the Wood demo. Watch Jerry Cole demo his Dubby. He will amaze you. After years of watching him, I finally broke down and bought one. I now kick myself in the backside for not buying one earlier. Food costs, vs quality leave something to be desired, so I pack my own lunch. Rather spend my $$ on tools than microwaved burgers. We usually go as a group, and just have a good time. Meet at Mickey D's for breakfast, and stop for dinner on the way home. The Woodworking Shows just can't figure what to do with Charlotte, and NC. Once they did a show in Greesboro in May (too late in the woodworking season.) They did one in Winston Salem in Sept. Wake Forrest, UNC, Duke and NC State all had home games that day, and there was a free airshow at the airport in WS. A couple years later, they had a show in Columbia SC two weeks before Charlotte show. Plus Charlotte show used to be right after Atlanta show. It's truly the red headed step child of shows.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
In addition, I think the economy has all shows downsized. I've been going to the Chantilly show for years. It's the about the same distance as Charlotte and I have a buddy in Williamsburg and we have been going together for over 10 years. We noticed last year the show was down and this year was down even more. The only machinery I saw was Jet/Powermatic. Even Kreg was half the size of previous years. Hopefully the economy will eventually pick up and the Charlotte show, as well as others will grow. But it's not just Charlotte.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Will anyone be getting together for lunch before the show opens on Friday? I'm coming down and plan to be there about the time it opens at noon. If there is a group lunch in the area, I'd love to join in.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I hear you. It is a real catch-22. The more folks that go the larger future shows will likely get and if no one goes then.... If nothing else watch a few demos and shop for ideas.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Will anyone be getting together for lunch before the show opens on Friday? I'm coming down and plan to be there about the time it opens at noon. If there is a group lunch in the area, I'd love to join in.

Bill

Hey Bill - In my world food prior to the noon hour is called Breakfast! :wink:

If there is no group gathering you're welcome to stop by my place (about 2 miles away) before the show for a visit and a bite to eat. PM me if you want and I'll send you my address.

pete

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks

Bill

I'd be interested. Current plans are to visit the show Friday.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hey Bill - In my world food prior to the noon hour is called Breakfast! :wink:

If there is no group gathering you're welcome to stop by my place (about 2 miles away) before the show for a visit and a bite to eat. PM me if you want and I'll send you my address.

pete

Yeah, I was kinda thinking of brunch. :gar-Bi If we don't get a small group together, then I'll definitely plan on stopping by your shop for a visit. But you don't have to feed me. :nah:

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'd be interested. Current plans are to visit the show Friday.

Stay tuned, Ted. If we can get several attendees together, how about we meet somewhere near the show around 11:00 for brunch? I'm not familiar w/ the area so someone else will have to pick a place. Pete, is there somewhere near the show we could all sit down for a meal?

Bill

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'd suggest Cotswold Shopping Center (3 miles from show). There's an IHOP, Wolfman Pizza, Mama Fu's, Chick-fil-A, Bo Jangles, Shun Lee Palace, Koishi Sushi Bar, and a couple others I can't think of right now :wink_smil

p

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Yeah, I was kinda thinking of brunch. :gar-Bi If we don't get a small group together, then I'll definitely plan on stopping by your shop for a visit. But you don't have to feed me. :nah:

Bill

Bill,

I would be interested in getting together for brunch. Kevin (RCFlyer23) and I plan on going to the show together and be there about noon. If it works out we could meet some place close.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I hope they get good support.
It seems the woodworking show keeps expanding to new areas.
Woodworking in NC is growing. Look just at our site. We are regularly having over 2500 visitors to the site daily! In two weeks we've gained over 50 new registered members.
Whether people WANT to or HAVE to do things themselves - THEY ARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS