christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
For the Warriors...

2019cc793f223a5f8ed66d8a689ba9f0.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
Very nice! How do you go about woodburning? I've never tried it. Do you sketch or trace your pattern and then burn in the lines?

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
This is actually not my design. It was a rough sketch done by a Marine, while recovering from injuries in Iraq. The Marine Corps adopted the design and it was given to me to burn. I added the texture and shadows, made it into a plaque.

Depending on the pic, I use a combation of techniques to burn the image.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well done. It is a very moving tribute to some great Americans. :eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

That is a beautiful and inspiring piece -- nice work! Glad to see you back again!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Outstanding shading and excellent job overall! :eusa_clap:icon_thum

LOML has been playing around with shading on a very small scale on some of the things we've been doing but nothing where the whole picture/design is degrees of shading like this. I'll have to make sure to show her this.

Have you used any of the graphite or transfer products out there? If so any you like or would recommend staying away from? Presently we're doing pencil drawings but if you change your mind you're sometimes left not being able to fully erase and sometimes sanding to remove isn't an option. Also have you found a good method for smoke removal if burning indoors? I've tried a couple of different solutions which don't work very well or LOML isn't fond of.

Sorry for all the questions and again excellent job and very moving subject matter.

Brian.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Outstanding shading and excellent job overall! :eusa_clap:icon_thum

LOML has been playing around with shading on a very small scale on some of the things we've been doing but nothing where the whole picture/design is degrees of shading like this. I'll have to make sure to show her this.

Have you used any of the graphite or transfer products out there? If so any you like or would recommend staying away from? Presently we're doing pencil drawings but if you change your mind you're sometimes left not being able to fully erase and sometimes sanding to remove isn't an option. Also have you found a good method for smoke removal if burning indoors? I've tried a couple of different solutions which don't work very well or LOML isn't fond of.

Sorry for all the questions and again excellent job and very moving subject matter.

Brian.
I have used and sometimes do use transfer products. The trick is to mark absolute black only. Don't transfer the entire image. Some lines terminate, and fade. Don't transfer the fades, or where the fades stop. Burn that by eye. You won't have to remove the lines then.

I burn in my garage because of the smoke issue. I have a large fan the blows out the smoke.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Christopher, thanks for the response on the transfer products. We may look into trying out some. LOML prefers to burn outside when the weather is nice but we're still looking for a solution to move smoke when she's relegated to inside.

Thanks again and sorry to hijack your thread with questions.

Brian.

Sawdud

New User
Chris Beasley
WOW! Very unique talent Christopher. I don't recall ever seeing this done before by hand. Nice website you've got!

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Christopher, thanks for the response on the transfer products. We may look into trying out some. LOML prefers to burn outside when the weather is nice but we're still looking for a solution to move smoke when she's relegated to inside.

Thanks again and sorry to hijack your thread with questions.

Brian.

Happy to help.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Good on you for an excellent job. On behalf of an old war dog now out of the game, whose neighbor is preparing to leave for his 7th tour in the land of dust and IED's, I thank you for your talents. Few realize the positive impact work like this can have on those who have given so much.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Gofor, I have been thinking about doing a pro-bono burn for someone such as your neighbor. Do you think he would be intrested?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Gofor, I have been thinking about doing a pro-bono burn for someone such as your neighbor. Do you think he would be intrested?

Sorry its taken so long to reply. I have printed out the pic and will show it to him and get back to you. I'll PM you with any pertinent info as well as to get your personal info so he can contact you after he has had a chance to look at it. Thank you for the consideration.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS