Worm tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I came up with this form while helping one of my high school students save a bowl out of a large rotten boxelder burl he brought in. I liked the shape we came up with on his bowl so much that I had to turn one using this form. This one is turned from a burled maple blank I had that was at the point of being to far gone. I named it "worm tracks" which the last picture shows why. I didn't fill the worm holes, just left what the worm put in them and soaked it with deft until it became firm. It is 9" tall by 7 1/2" in dia. The finish is many coats of deft brushed on to seal the soft spots in the wood and 4 or 5 coats sprayed over this.
Jack
IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Jack - and a great job on saving the piece of wood - the grain-worm holes and tracks look great - you brought out what Mother Nature left behind:icon_thum

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Great job Jack. Every time I think I've finally learned to turn a real turner like you comes along and busts my bubble. I can only hope I get half that good.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice one Jack!
Maple is a phenominal wood. There is a window between HOLY CRAP!! and AWWWWW CRAP!
Looks like you pulled that one out...

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nice one Jack!
Maple is a phenominal wood. There is a window between HOLY CRAP!! and AWWWWW CRAP!
Looks like you pulled that one out...

I go back and forth about worm holes versus tracks on exactly that issue - CRAP. The wood boring worms obvioulsy have a diet very high in fiber and the stuff they leave behind is not as nasty as it would be in a compost pile or whatever. If you can get it stuck in there good with a nice finish, it does look better than a cavity IMO. If I could make it look as nice as Jack did, there would be no question though. Outstanding! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the compliments everyone, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. The form is a good one for nature edge vases.
Jack

Dragon

New User
David
Outstanding work there Jack. I've got a lot of maple and something that I "think" might be mulberry but not sure, all with a lot of natural workmanship like worm tracks and such. I'm going to try to post up some pics over the weekend of my suspect wood and see if anyone can definitively ID it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jack, that is one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. The wood and shape are incredible and the natural edge is the perfect touch. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Nice And cool hole in the side, Whoever gets that will be one lucky person.

And they can also view the inside....Now Thats Cool~!!!

YOU ROCK AS ALWAYS....Can once such as myself take one of your classes? Or do you teach HS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS