Workshop Update - Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Had my 12'x16' shop built on site. Electrical is complete, lights hung, and no arching and sparking. Semi-arranged. Cleared over two boxes with just wood, once I got the storage racks built. Need to finish the bench tops and offset for the miter saw. Once long bench top is complete, I can put a shelve along the length that will empty one box of just baby food jars of "stuff". At least I can somewhat function.
Here's a few pictures. As I progress, I'll post more pictures. This way I can save the babbling of progress by just posting pictures, as I know everyone loves them.
144.gif 148-copy.gif 151-copy.gif 152-copy.gif 153-copy.gif 154-copy.gif 155-copy.gif 156-copy.gif 157-copy.gif

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good Stan. May I suggest adding some insulation if the budget allows. Shops like that get very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Believe me I have been there.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Looking good Stan. May I suggest adding some insulation if the budget allows. Shops like that get very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Believe me I have been there.

Yes Indeed Scott...oil filled heater seems to fit the bill so far, and plans are for a through-the-wall small a/c unit for the summer along with a dedicated dehumidifier.
With forking out the $$ to have it built, and now the Holidays, think I'll hold off until Tax time to spring it on the wife, but Yes, insulation will for sure be going in.
I know ideally it would have been soooo much easier while it was being built, but $$ was just not there at the time so...It won't be such a chore putting it in, say around Fall.
Thanks
Stan

SevenPin

New User
R
Lookin' good Stan. What version of Shopsmith is that in the 2nd picture down on the right? I've got two Mark Vs but I am really thinking about springing for the Mark VII.

SevenPin

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Lookin' good Stan. What version of Shopsmith is that in the 2nd picture down on the right? I've got two Mark Vs but I am really thinking about springing for the Mark VII.

SevenPin
I have the model 510 Rick. I was thinking about upgrading to the 520, but went for the Incra Sliding Sled setup direct from SS along with the Incra Miter setup. Very pleased with the way I can more comfortably feed wide stock through the saw.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Very nice. Looks like plenty of light.

Yea, at first I sketched out six fixtures. Everything seems to look bigger on paper. Anyways, I ended up with four fixtures of 4 bulbs a fixture and the bracing and receptacle for another one or two, but don't think I'll need that. With four now, it lights up things much like the effect one gets at a Sports Stadium at night.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Lord, those inch blocks sitting on ground with all those tools inside would scare me!!!

I take it you're referring to the concrete blocks the workshop 4x4 skids rest on? Well....only enough $$ for the workshop, and not a couple thousand $$ more for the concrete pad as well. I'll just have to check things every now and then and see how it "settles". Water table is too high to need a basement.
Majority of neighbors have pretty much the same setup without any issues, but then again they mostly have yard stuff in it.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
All u needed to do to code is dig 16"x16" footings with 10" of crete(12o lbs of crete) and you'll have no worries. Nice building tho!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice work space. Ditto on the insulation; my budget was also limited when I built my shop, so it had to wait. It was a real pain to go back and remove the paneling (OSB that was screwed to the studs) and add insulation. Not to mention all the cabinets, shelves, DC piping and junk that had to be removed. Have fun and watch those fingers.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
All u needed to do to code is dig 16"x16" footings with 10" of crete(12o lbs of crete) and you'll have no worries. Nice building tho!
yea...sorta like when you're up to your neck in alligators is when you realized you should have drained the swamp first.
When, should, the time come where my workshop takes on the look of turning into a basement, I can have the company who built it come out and throw another layer of blocks underneath...Eventually, I should hit 10" depth.:)
That's about all I can do at this point...As long as I keep an eye on it, I should be fine.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
When I do the insulation, there shouldn't be that much "stuff" to take down, and at this point I'll appease the wife and hold off on the insulation until at lease Fall.
The painful part will be shlepping the "stuff" from one side to the other as I progress. Yet another item for my To-Do List.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
Stan, workshop looks great...looking at your wood storage racks gave me some idea's.

Wood storage rack...courtesy of Wood Magazine. I have, but unable to locate the issue with the plans, and didn't want to spend the $$ for them either, so went off the picture. Surprised at how well they work out.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
WOOOOO sorry ur feathers got ruffled. Just wanted to comment it wont stay level like that with all them tools that should stay level! :BangHead:

Transplanted

New User
Stan
WOOOOO sorry ur feathers got ruffled. Just wanted to comment it wont stay level like that with all them tools that should stay level! :BangHead:
No, no, no Dave...I'm good...I knew what you meant, and I'm certainly not flustered one bit. I chuckled a bit when I first read your post, thinking that I'll know it settles if every time I go to use a stationary tool, I have to re-level it.
It's all good...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS