Worksharp 3000 replacement paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Hey fellow wood nerds!

I got a WS3000 off another member here and haven't used it too much until late. Now I seem to be using it a lot. Curious if anyone has found suitable replacement paper on the cheap (other than what Klingspor offers or WS directly)? I'm assuming I can purchase self adhesive disks and just slap a 1/2" hole in the middle and go but I'm having an issue finding disks in higher grits (like 3200 grit that WS sells direct through Norton). Their micro mesh paper is stupid expensive and if you've used the WS3000 you know that you're basically honing in the same 1/4" space under the disk so that one strip wears out VERY fast it seems.

Lately, I've also been looking at water systems (Tormek, Grizzly, etc.) - don't want to spend the money on the Tormek but it seems like all the other wet options (Grizzly, Rikon, Jet) either don't compare what so ever or have massive wobbles in either the stone or the shaft they ride on. I think I'm going to be using the WS for quite a while... :rotflm:

Thanks it advance for any advice!

Joe

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You should also look online for diamond disks of the same size. I have found several finer grits at reasonable prices that work very well. The only disadvantage with not using WS discs is that when you have other brands facing downward on the glass base you can't see the grinder in action. I'm usually pulling my chisel our every couple of seconds anyway to see what's happening with it and to allow it to cool.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lately, I've also been looking at water systems (Tormek, Grizzly, etc.) - don't want to spend the money on the Tormek but it seems like all the other wet options (Grizzly, Rikon, Jet) either don't compare what so ever or have massive wobbles in either the stone or the shaft they ride on.
Joe

I have the Jet (Tormek knock-off) and don't notice wobble in the shaft or stone...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
When I had my WS3000 I got all my paper from Klingspor.

I have the Grizzly T10010ANV and haven't had any problems with wobble.

You are welcome to stop by the shop and check it out if you'd like.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I ordered several grit levels of these back in early 2015 and they work very well and last a long time. I mounted them on the standard WS glass discs with some spray adhesive. They are a little more expensive now, but well worth the investment.

Joe G.

New User
Joe
When I had my WS3000 I got all my paper from Klingspor.

I have the Grizzly T10010ANV and haven't had any problems with wobble.

You are welcome to stop by the shop and check it out if you'd like.

I may take you up on that offer. I bought the WS from you. :D Thanks, Mark.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Tagging on to this thread if that's OK . . . wondering if anyone has built a case for the WS3000 that would provide a surface to use the top of the glass plates using a rolling honing guide? This would enable full use of the sanding surface rather than just the small slice when using the traditional under-wheel sharpening. I've seen a couple designs online and was thinking of building one. Anyone build one and care to share experience and your design?

Rick

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Tagging on to this thread if that's OK . . . wondering if anyone has built a case for the WS3000 that would provide a surface to use the top of the glass plates using a rolling honing guide? This would enable full use of the sanding surface rather than just the small slice when using the traditional under-wheel sharpening. I've seen a couple designs online and was thinking of building one. Anyone build one and care to share experience and your design?

Rick

The one I got came with the wide blade attachment which also came with the little honing table which basically provides the same result: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-3000-Blade-Attachment/dp/B001EPR9I6
The jig works well for anything over 1/2" - anything under that, it tends to skew but you can just use the machine as intended for anything 2" and under anyway (putting it in the angle port). Stumpy Nubs (youtube) did a small cabinet build around his and looks like it works great. I may build something like this for it in the future for the disk storage, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9WecxUFfw here is another example but neither are really a build video - just showing what can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTtakqQx0jg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I ordered several grit levels of these back in early 2015 and they work very well and last a long time. I mounted them on the standard WS glass discs with some spray adhesive. They are a little more expensive now, but well worth the investment.

Rob, these look interesting. I use the DMT diamond plates. Would you say these compare to those plates? I know they're thinner, but do you see them as comparable. Also, when you say they last a long time, can you put that in perspective. Would you say a year, 5 years, assuming "normal" use? I'm interested on your assessment. Thank you.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Joe -

I have seen the WS addition online but didn't think it was worth the $69. And the Stumpy video is where I saw the idea of the enclosure. I would like to build one. Also like the idea of making some MDF disks if they work as well as the glass.

The one I got came with the wide blade attachment which also came with the little honing table which basically provides the same result: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-3000-Blade-Attachment/dp/B001EPR9I6
The jig works well for anything over 1/2" - anything under that, it tends to skew but you can just use the machine as intended for anything 2" and under anyway (putting it in the angle port). Stumpy Nubs (youtube) did a small cabinet build around his and looks like it works great. I may build something like this for it in the future for the disk storage, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9WecxUFfw here is another example but neither are really a build video - just showing what can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTtakqQx0jg

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Joe -

I have seen the WS addition online but didn't think it was worth the $69. And the Stumpy video is where I saw the idea of the enclosure. I would like to build one. Also like the idea of making some MDF disks if they work as well as the glass.

I've read a few other forums where other folks are using the MDF disks and apparently they work pretty good. They're flat, of course but it's all about the honing paste at that point. The machine I got (from another member here) came with a lot of extra glass discs which is super helpful and time saving. I think if you were honing on the top of the machine, the MDF way would work just fine but if you were using the guide in the machine, I think it could make a mess if you're not careful. I'm also assuming the MDF probably needs a pretty large application of the honing paste the first couple times you use it as I'm guessing you're going to push a lot of that paste directly into the MDF. I was also wondering if using paste on MDF would make it swell at all but with all the posts I've read on it, it doesn't seem to be a problem...

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Rob, these look interesting. I use the DMT diamond plates. Would you say these compare to those plates? I know they're thinner, but do you see them as comparable. Also, when you say they last a long time, can you put that in perspective. Would you say a year, 5 years, assuming "normal" use? I'm interested on your assessment. Thank you.

Yeah, I've seen this as well and I'm super interested in the life of these disks. Overall, 15 bucks each, I'd only new a few and if they lasted even 6 months, would save a bunch on sandpaper.

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Joe -

Yeah 69 is a bit pricey but the honing guide is a pretty decent one. I'm sure it doesn't stack up to the veritas but it's definitely repeatable, etc. It just doesn't handle small chisels very well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I may take you up on that offer. I bought the WS from you. :D Thanks, Mark.

You must be using it a lot. IIRC there were quite a few sandpaper disks included in that deal. ;)

Anyway, you have the address, let me know if/when you want to stop by. Bring something that needs to be sharpened and we can play with the Grizzly.

Joe G.

New User
Joe
You must be using it a lot. IIRC there were quite a few sandpaper disks included in that deal. ;)

Anyway, you have the address, let me know if/when you want to stop by. Bring something that needs to be sharpened and we can play with the Grizzly.

I went through a lot of the lower grits trying to adjust the angle of attack on the plate (skew adjustment). It was good for chisels but for some reason was off a little for anything over 1/2". I was slamming some cheap 1" chisels in there to try to get it completely square but burned through a LOT of the paper in the last week playing with that :)

I'm mainly looking at the wheels for doing jointer blades, etc. I'll hit you up sometime after the new year and swing by. Thanks, Mark!

Joe

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Bill, I've been looking at the DMT plates. You don't give your opinion of them. The ones Rob mentions are cheaper, but it doesn't look like they attach to the glass, so do they stay as flat and not slip? I've been using the leather honing wheel with green (chromium oxide) paste. It really polishes the edge well, but you only have that very fine grit. I'd love to be able to compare all these options without having to buy all of them.

Joe G.

New User
Joe
Bill, I've been looking at the DMT plates. You don't give your opinion of them. The ones Rob mentions are cheaper, but it doesn't look like they attach to the glass, so do they stay as flat and not slip? I've been using the leather honing wheel with green (chromium oxide) paste. It really polishes the edge well, but you only have that very fine grit. I'd love to be able to compare all these options without having to buy all of them.

Hey Jim. I bought 2 of the disks mentioned last night for 15 bucks each. Once I try them out, I'll update the thread. I did read in the reviews on those (on amazon) that people are saying they just put them on top of the glass disk (or even underneath) with no spray adhesive and the lock nob is enough to hold them in place... I still find that odd - especially when they're under the glass and they don't sag but I'm going to test it out and see because that would be very convenient if that was the case.

Update soon!

joe

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
[FONT=&quot]I have built a couple of versions (one stumpy’s specs, one modified to my specs).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Although there is a minute difference between the 80/120, the 400/1000, and the 3600/6000 honing discs, there is an observable difference that I feel must be taken into account during the sharpening process. The Stumpy Nubs platform does not take that into account so does not work for ME.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have also used the MDF and compound with success but I prefer the glass wheels and sandpaper. I have no experience with the DMT kits, but I am looking forward to trying that sometime in the future.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do have the Wide Blade attachment and the Tool Bar attachments. The Wide Blade attachment uses 4 set screws to level the table and adjust for differing disc/paper thicknesses. I like it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Tool Bar attachment allows me to use Tormek jigs for sharpening my turning tools. I also like it, but having no experience with the Tormek, might like it better.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just my 2¢ worth.[/FONT]

Joe G.

New User
Joe
You should also look online for diamond disks of the same size. I have found several finer grits at reasonable prices that work very well. The only disadvantage with not using WS discs is that when you have other brands facing downward on the glass base you can't see the grinder in action. I'm usually pulling my chisel our every couple of seconds anyway to see what's happening with it and to allow it to cool.

I got a couple disks last week and they work great. 80 grit was nice because I can basically grind in seconds with it then move up the grits as normal. well worth 15 bucks each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS