Working on the Honey-do list

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After I made a small three shelf unit for our bathroom my wife mentioned that it would be nice to have a shelf where the towel bar is over the throne, but with a towel bar too.
Sure no problem put it on the list.
Here is what I came up with.
Bathroom_shelf_and_towel_bar_002.jpg

Bathroom_shelf_and_towel_bar_003.jpg

I was hesitant in posting it because it's such a simple project. But following my mantra of trying something new with every project I decided to hand cut all my joinery, and it shows :oops:
I did thru wedged tenons for the top to sides and regular M&T for the back to the sides. I laminated and turned the 1" towel bar which was fun as I had a little whip to deal with. I parted the ends of the towel bar down to 7/8" to fit in the round mortises I drilled on the sides.
Simple project but I learned a lot about hand chiseling thru mortises, hand cutting tenons and how much whip a 1" dia x 24" long piece of stock can have on the lathe.
Several fun hours in my AC'd shop on this 90º+ day :eusa_danc

Dave:)

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would have been happy in a 90° shop. I cut the fringes of the yard all morning then my neighbor showed up on his tractor and I walked up to my field and showed him what I needed done.

I tell you one thing, living in the country is the pitts without a tractor!

One good neighbor can make all the difference.

I like your towel rack/shelf, if you did all that with hand tools you are better than me. Someday I will learn though.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice towel project there Dave. You did good, and made the Mrs. happy at the same time.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
looks nice Dave! Simple is good too. Means it can go from conception to completion a lot quicker. Plus you get to practice a few skills. I like the wood choice too.

Told LOML that I need some small projects to practice on for a bit :gar-Bi

Keep the projects rolling!
Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Bathroom_shelf_and_towel_bar_002.jpg

Wow That is Really Really Nice Dave! :icon_thum You are the fastest woodworker I know with great outcome! Oh wait what is that, Do I see a wee little elf hiding behind that wooden mallet? I think I do, I had to enhance the image 1 billion times but I think I might, kinda see something! :rotflm:

Great Job Dave, Someday I will get my act together, or somehow figure out how you are doing it so quickly! :gar-Bi

AC'd Shop....I WISH~!

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice looking shelf Dave, I do have a question since I am not all that lathe savvy, was the whipping because of lamination causing unbalance or just due to the length of the stock ? I am guessing a steady rest would have eliminated the issue. :wsmile:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice project, Dave!:icon_thum Looks like you've got the hand joinery down pat!:eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work buddy. :icon_thum I like the hand cut joinery. I've wanted to try something like that myself. If I can just get the honey down here and get a do list I'll be ready to go. :rolleyes:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice looking shelf Dave, I do have a question since I am not all that lathe savvy, was the whipping because of lamination causing unbalance or just due to the length of the stock ? I am guessing a steady rest would have eliminated the issue. :wsmile:

I would suspect the whipping is due to the length and diameter of the stock. I would think if anything the lamination would have made it stronger. I should have supported the stock with my left hand while cutting in the middle, but I didn't think that I would get much whip with stock as thick as it was. The un-roundness only became evident as I was sanding with a block of wood trying for a consistent diameter...there was a few dips :wmad:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS