Workbench Mobility Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I had the day off and spent the past hour reading Monty's workbench [strike]saga[/strike]post... http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1131&highlight=workbench

I also downloaded Monty's plans. If you haven't had a chance to look them over and have the time to spend on them, download and view the plans. They are very impressive. Detailed, plenty of views. I followed his post while he was building his bench but had no clue how much planning was involved in making his masterpiece until I began planning for my own bench.

So, overall I have spent quite a few hours each of the past 3 days looking at bench plans. I picked up vises from WC Saturday - thanks Tom, Steve, DaveO for the suggestions. I have a decent stash of very heavy oak that I bought about a year ago to use on the trestle base.

I am going to build a Monty style bench but will modify the plan dimensions to fit my needs. I'm not including a tool tray and will not use a twin screw vise (man, wish I could afford it). The base will be oak and the top will be 3 inch (finished) maple or whatever economical hard, closed grain wood I can find in 8/4 or larger KD stock.

I REALLY need to be able to move the bench in and out from the wall where it will sit in order to load or unload my lumber storage shelves. I would appreciate any ideas you may have for mobility. I have thought of using casters under the feet (maybe a Zambus style) but would prefer that the base sit flat with casters I could employ as needed with a locking foot pedal or something similar. One day I may expand the shop and have space to make the bench stationary.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Workbench Mobility Ideas

Strangely enough, I have been drawing thinking of building one myself. Still have other things to work on, but free time I can't go into the shop is drawing time. I bought a tail vise at Woodcraft, and I already have a quick release vise. What kind of vises did you get?

Here is a sketch of what I have been thinking of making. Still more drawing to do.

bench 1.jpg

As for wheels, the only thing I can come up with is a mobile bench Norm built after touring the WGBH woodshop on his show. It looked pretty neat, and might fit your bill.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

I have seen a few others, but can't remember where. If I find something I will definitely post. Good luck.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Strangely enough, I have been drawing thinking of building one myself. Still have other things to work on, but free time I can't go into the shop is drawing time. I bought a tail vise at Woodcraft, and I already have a quick release vise. What kind of vises did you get?

Here is a sketch of what I have been thinking of making. Still more drawing to do.

View attachment 3675

As for wheels, the only thing I can come up with is a mobile bench Norm built after touring the WGBH woodshop on his show. It looked pretty neat, and might fit your bill.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

I have seen a few others, but can't remember where. If I find something I will definitely post. Good luck.

Travis,
I got this quick release vise for the front #144845 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4939

and this economy vise for the end #144805 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4875

I think I've sorted out space requirements for the "end" vise but am not sure about the other vise mounting requirements. LOML picked them up for "birthday presents" and now she won't let me play with them until my actual birthday. What's that all about?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the top will be around 24" wide by maybe 76-80" long. I may just start the base and make the top long enough to fit the vise hardware. I intend to put cabs in the bottom...one day. :)

I had seen the Norm link but haven't seen a detailed view of how it looks and works.

Chuck

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Chuck,

nelsone has this picture in his photo album, I was impressed with his mobile base. Would this work for you? I'd love to build a bench with a base like this. Best of luck!

spence_may_046.jpg

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Phillip, thanks for posting the pic! If you guys have questions on the setup I have let me know. The plate the casters are attached to are attached to the base with door hinges. The cams are pinned to the rod as are the handles. All you have to do is rotate the handles to pop the base up on the casters. Works pretty well.

T

toolferone

That base is well done. It does what I feel is the most important thing. The work bench must not be on the wheels at all when you are use it if you want it to be stable!

thrytis

New User
Eric
This is another idea i saw for bench mobility i thought looked good. Similar to other ones suggested with the wheels a board that swing down to make contact, but uses a single car jack to push the wheels down.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Ed, you're welcome! You certainly impressed me with the design. Hopefully once I'm finished with school and moved back home I can build myself one.
But I'd definitely use your design to put casters under it. ;-)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed, you're welcome! You certainly impressed me with the design. Hopefully once I'm finished with school and moved back home I can build myself one.
But I'd definitely use your design to put casters under it. ;-)

You're welcome to come take a gander whenever you want!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

It looks like I screwed up and bought the wrong end vise myself (unless I want to make a massive bench). The price was right and I wasn't thinking anything but bigger is better.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed, what you did is pretty cool. What height off the floor and wheel size did you use?

I think they were around 2 1/2" wheels, maybe 3". These were some cheap casters I had laying around. I didn't think I would be moving it too often so I didn't bother with the nicer ones.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm too lazy this morning to do other than direct you to my gallery. My bench uses the Normie assembly table idea. It works well for me.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors