Workbench Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am wanting to construct a new workbench for for small workshop. I am really limited in space since my shop is only 12 X24 ft. I think that I can only have a bench about 5-feet long, but I am wondering what is the accepted standard for bench width? Most of the benches that I see advertised have a width of between 24-27 inches. What have most of you found to be the best working width for your benches? I want to mount a front mount vise also to hold work for planing, hand-sawing, etc.

I plan on making the bench from SYP using plans that I found on DIY since I can't afford beech or maple. It looks sturdy and heavy enough for my use.

Thanks for any input.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
My workbench is 4'x8'. I can fit a full size piece of plywood on it, but I have a nice size garage. The main thing to keep in mind is that you have to be able to work around the bench. The size is base on what space you can spare. If you decide to have a router table, DIY did a program where they built a router table that would fold up flush to the wall. They had a work top that had two legs hinged to the bottom, and a piano hinge which held the top the a 2x4 that was screwed to the wall.

Good Luck with your future projects:icon_thum

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Rick, I think a workbench can be as personal as your shoes. The size must fit your needs. In your case you have stated that your shop may limit you to something less than some of the monster tables we have seen. Unless you plan on some really big projects that shouldn't be a problem. I built my bench about 8 years ago and it's 26" X 56". I seldom feel the need for anything larger. I think most will agree that heavier is better, so if you must build with pine you might want to consider a shelf beneath the top where you could place a bag of sand for ballast.
This is an interesting subject so you can expect plenty of ideas from others. Remember, we will be interested in what you decide to do.
Roy
(Can't figure why my font changed in the middle of this?)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Roy, I looked at it, too, and can't see any markup that would have changed your font.

ok, the code doesn't show up for that font change when a post is reviewed for editing.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Rick,
I almost forgot. It's a good idea to get your vice before you start building. Since most of them mount beneath the top, you may save yourself some grief by having it in hand when you plan the bench.
Roy

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
If you accidentally hit cntr I the font changes. I know sometime I try and type faster than I am capable of typing and I have miskeys and misstrokes. Could you build a bench around the inside of your shop. bout 26" deep. You will have plenty of space. You might want to consider wiring up a receptacle or power strip. If you build it into the bench you will always have a place to plug in something.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Well, my shop is about as small as they come. It is in the basement of my house, built in 1939. I had some 1-1/4" MDF (4x8 sheets) that I picked up for free from my old office (went out of business) as well as a couple of pre-made countertopsthat I used to make the tops for my benches. Basically, I went around the wall on two sides with a bench built into the outside walls. I made mine higher (about 3' high) and about 30" deep. I used the scrap MDF to make shelves underneath. Now I have inherited a bandsaw, drill press and table saw since making the benches, but because of how I built them, I have room for it all by putting the bandsaw on casters. I plan on doing the same for the saw, but right now I just drag it out of the way when not in use. I took some scrap and made a small table built into a wall beside my breaker box for the drill press.

I have an architectural background, so I measured my shop and drew it up on AutoCAD. It helped me a lot, but you can do the same with hand-drawn sketches as well. Just think it out and plan a little bit and you will have something you will be able to work with.

Let me add that I still have to take bigger things outside to work on. Just something I live with until Ed McMahon calls and I can build that dream shop!:eusa_danc

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Well, if Ed does stop by, send him to my house next!

As far as the idea for a shelf below to add weights - Wood magazine did an article (Jun/Jul '05 cover story in fact) on low-dough workbenches with an add-on article about how to beef them up. They had a pretty cool suggestion for adding weight. For the lower shelf, they built a box that fits inside the legs made of 2x4s on edge with MDF top and bottom. And then the filled it with sand. I thought it was pretty cool, provided the sand doesn't leak. Here's a pic and I may be able to help you "find" the article if you PM me. I felt it was worth reading - esecially if you're purely looking for a utilitarian bench versus a piece of art like Monty's.
woodstore_1913_18503395

woodguy1975

New User
John
Check the download section. Monty and I both have our bench designs up for you guys. My bench design is based on a 5' width while Montys is bigger.

completecherrybench.jpg

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
As to the width of a bench, 24-26 inches is ok if you can work on both sides of it. but if you need to have it against the wall, I would go to at least 30-36 inches. I had an old work table that was against the wall and was 36 inches wide . It worked fine. I now have a new one that is 24 inches and it does not work as well against the wall. I have enough room to move it away from the wall and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS