Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It is just a rough draft, so don't expect miracles:nah::nah::rotflm:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wonderful progress folks. I am unable to be online much this weekend. Now that LOML is working again, weekends are "quality time". :mrgreen:

A quick read brought two things to mind:
1) Exemplary work presented with clarity and sensitivity :icon_thum
2) Numerous grammatical errors that I will be happy to help with next week :rolleyes:

Roger

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
These are the changes that I proposed to the webmasters. The changes are kept simple and have not been added to the web template yet. Just thought I would throw them out there for everyone to review.

Moderation Procedures

The main motivation behind the types of procedures that have been chosen is to remove the offending material from view as rapidly as possible. This will be done on a per case basis and is the preferred method of moderation. In the case of threads, posts, and comments, we want to attempt to still allow the discussion to continue without disruption. When we take these types of actions, we do not take them lightly. We are not trying to be arbiters of good taste or political correctness. We are simply trying to be proactive in maintaining our goals.
Threads, Posts, Comments
When a thread, post or comment is in violation of the allowed subjects, the moderator will make a best effort to edit out the offending material while leaving the primary content intact. If that is not possible, then the whole thread, post or comment will be deleted. At this point you will receive a Private Message (pm) explaining the action taken.

On occasion a thread that is well within the site policies begins to change its tone, so that a moderator feels the thread will become contentious. In those cases, the thread will be closed as a preventative precaution. In this situation the moderator will provide a reason for the thread closure in a PM.
Avatars, Profile Pictures, Signatures and Biographical Profile Material
If any of these items are found to be in violation of policy, they will be deleted.
Usernames
If your username is found to be in violation of policy, your account will be placed in a state of temporary suspension, and all your posts will become invisible to the general membership. After you have supplied the staff with an acceptable username, your active status will be restored and all your posts will become visible again.
Steve Coles

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have gone through the site policy and added my .01 Will you guys take a look and let's see if we can put this to bed.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Steve, et. al.,
Will you or someone else post an "almost final" version for us to review?
The edit suggestions leave me a little confused as to exact wording versus "comments".

Or am I making it more confusing :crossedlips:

Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, et. al.,
Will you or someone else post an "almost final" version for us to review?
The edit suggestions leave me a little confused as to exact wording versus "comments".

Or am I making it more confusing :crossedlips:

Roger
Do I hear a volunteer:rotflm: It is about time. The last set of edits were by me, but I really think one person needs to cleam this up and we need to another review. For instance, I tried to insert the concept of controversial topics rather than attempt to expand the definition of politics. I don't know whether or not that works.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Do I hear a volunteer:rotflm: It is about time. The last set of edits were by me, but I really think one person needs to cleam this up and we need to another review. For instance, I tried to insert the concept of controversial topics rather than attempt to expand the definition of politics. I don't know whether or not that works.

Yes, I will cobble something together . . . as long as you don't expect "speedy" results. I'm old, slow, and have a busy weekend. Well, that's what Linda says :rotflm:

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
Re: Work for us to do: Update

Didn't want anyone to think I had dropped the ball. Making progress and hopefully have something ready Monday late afternoon.

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ok, I've completed my edit of the site policy.

Please forgive any edits that change the intent of the original or staff suggestions. That wasn't my goal! My focus was to clean up the language and "wordyness" :mrgreen:

Trust me, it still needs work and I take no offense to edits of my edits :nah:
And I don't know how to put the doc in webtemplates :dontknow:

General Policy

The goal of ncwoodworker.net is to provide a welcoming atmosphere that fosters a unique sense of community for any North Carolina woodworker who wishes to participate or lurk. The three main aspects to meeting this goal are:

1. Guests and members surfing our site should feel that they are welcome and that participating in our site is a worthwhile and pleasant experience. We strive to maintain a polite and helpful tone in our posts, replies, and questions.
2. We seek to ensure that guests and all members of their family are comfortable viewing site content. Every effort is made to monitor User names, avatars, signatures, biographies, and posts in pursuit of that goal.
3. Members may post threads, comments, replies, questions, and make suggestions without fear of abuse from other members or staff.

Approach

Our primary method of achieving the above is prevention. The staff, webmaster(s), administrators, and moderators are tasked with dealing with explicit violations of site policy and recognizing content with the potential to become disruptive to the site. Immediate corrective action will be taken in these instances.

Content Review

The primary duties of the staff, webmaster(s), administrators, and moderators are to support the day to day functioning of the site, assist members, and maintain the structure of information on forums so that members and guests can find the information they seek. Often that requires threads to be moved, split, or merged. This should not be construed as criticism, but routine housekeeping. The staff's primary function is not to censor. However, as moderators and administrators read almost every post, they encounter content where wording, style, or content is counter to the General Policy. In these cases, they are expected to be proactive. The types of actions taken are described below.

Usernames

NCwoodworker.net encourages members to use some form or combination of your real name, first and/or last, initials, etc. This applies to both new and old members. To request a username change, please email webmaster@ncwoodworker.net and include your existing name and the desired new username. Selected usernames must not contain or allude to subjects that violate site policy, including double entendres.

Areas Of Focus

All content (with the exception of Private Messages and Email) of this site is open to staff moderation. The following areas are scrutinized:

* Threads, posts, comments, and replies in forums, Photo Galleries, Link Library, Download Library and any future site additions.
* Usernames
* Profile Pictures
* Signatures
* Profile Biographies

Prohibited Subjects

* Expressions of bigotry and intolerance, including negative comments or direct attacks based on race, religion, sex, or sexual preference.
* "Code words", phrases, or other content that attempt to disguise expressions of bigotry and intolerance
* Attitude problems (This one is somewhat subjective and duplicative and could be omitted)
* Personal attacks by name or implication
* Harsh comments
* Argumentative behavior
* Political content.
* Religious content.
* Controversial topics of any form except, of course, woodworking.
* Sexual content or innuendo, no matter how mild
* Posted links to prohibited material.

A Special Word About Religion

Many of our members are very devout and feel their religion and beliefs play a fundamental role in their lives. We applaud adherence to beliefs of your choice. Members with different, but equally devout, beliefs may be in direct contradiction. Please remember that some of mankind's worst and longest lasting wars were fought over differences of spiritual belief. Statements of a religious nature can cause disharmony. Therefore, in the spirit of "prevention", all religious content is banned from this site. However, the following exceptions will apply:

Phrases such as, "God bless you", "Bless you", and "you are in our prayers" are more than acceptable. Such phrases are not proselytizing and are regarded as non-denominational. (Technically, even atheism is a belief system.) No one is criticized for saying they would or would not pray. Also, phrases used to greet and or wish well being during certain seasons or holidays such as "Merry Christmas" are allowed and even encouraged, regardless of the religious foundation.

A Special Word About Politics

Unfortunately, politics has the same potential as religion to inflame, so a similar prohibition applies. Politics includes current events/conditions in the economy and job losses due to economic conditions. There are also exceptions to this rule. A post suggesting that people vote or otherwise participate in the political process is quite acceptable.

At the time of the writing of this document, the United States is involved in military conflicts and experiencing a downturn of the economy. This is not the place for debating these complex topics. Forum-style discussions can easily escalate into heated arguments that detract from this site's primary purpose: woodworking. Again, there are common sense exceptions, such as expressing sympathy over someone's loss of employment. Statements in support of the troops are not only allowed but encouraged. This is also true of individuals or groups (such as police and firefighters) who go in harm's way for the betterment of our society.

A Special Word About Controversial Topics

This area is the hardest to define. It covers anything, except woodworking, that might start heated debate. Examples from current events at the time of writing of this document are:

* Economy
* Immigration
* Crime
* (need a few more examples)

Controversial or “hot topics” can be very subjective. From time to time the staff may add or subtract topics and the membership is asked to abide by the spirit of these decisions.

Moderation Procedures

The primary focus of moderation procedures is to remove offending material from view as rapidly as possible. This will be done on a per case basis and is the preferred method of moderation. In the case of threads, posts, and comments, we attempt to allow the discussion to continue without disruption. These actions are not taken lightly. Most moderation actions will be taken in a manner so they may be reversed or amended after staff review. We are not trying to be arbiters of good taste or political correctness. We are simply trying to be proactive in maintaining our goals.

Threads, Posts, Comments

When a thread, post or comment is contrary to policy, the moderator will make an effort to edit the offending material and leave the primary content intact. If that is not possible, the whole thread, post or comment will be deleted. At this point a Private Message (PM) will be sent explaining the action taken.

On occasion a thread that starts within guidelines becomes disruptive despite attempts to moderate. If a moderator(s) feels the thread will continue to be problematic, the thread will be closed and/or deleted as a preventative measure. In this situation the moderator will provide a reason for the thread closure in a PM.

Avatars, Profile Pictures, Signatures and Biographical Profile Material
Any of these items found to be in violation of policy will be deleted.

Usernames
If your username is found to be in violation of policy, your account will be placed in a state of temporary suspension, and all your posts will become invisible to the general membership. After you have supplied the staff with an acceptable username, your active status will be restored and all your posts will again become visible.

Stephen Coles
President
North Carolina Woodworker, Inc.

M

McRabbet

Roger, great job of editing. It is clear. I agree with Bob (WoodArtz) that we should include "offensive language" and I'd suggest the addition of "copyrighted Materials" unless used with permission.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that the content editor takes care of most/all of the offensive language that isn't covered by the Prohibited Subject. I agree on the Copywritten material.

The only other thing I would add would be -

Usernames

NCwoodworker.net encourages members to use some form or combination of your real name, first and/or last, initials, etc. This applies to both new and old members. To request a username change, please email webmaster@ncwoodworker.net or send a PM to any Staff member on-line and include your existing name and the desired new username. Selected usernames must not contain or allude to subjects that violate site policy, including double entendres.

That will result in faster service for a username change.

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
As we await the input of other staff a few concerns come to mind :eusa_thin

Is the policy over zealous in listing all the do not's?
When someone applying for membership reads the policy is it inviting or intimidating?
Will current members reading the policy just groan? :swoon:

Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As we await the input of other staff a few concerns come to mind :eusa_thin

Is the policy over zealous in listing all the do not's?
When someone applying for membership reads the policy is it inviting or intimidating?
Will current members reading the policy just groan? :swoon:

Roger
Roger, first of all, you did a great job. And second you raise a very interesting point(s). Below is the standard boilerplate supplied by vBulletin and is in fact what you agreed to when you first registered. With only a few modifications this should serve our purposes, but so far hasn't.
During, those first few months of operation, 2005 2006, I was doing all the moderation. I knew the tone of the site that I wanted to create. I guess I added a few simple rules of about a paragraph.

When we started to have formal moderators, the questions from the moderators to me and each other seem to require more and more detail, until we got what we have been living with since 08/06. Now we are about to expand it again.:elvis: Is it really necessary? I don't know, But we are certainly spending more time and effort on it than we should.

While it may have been my idea, being able or required to reference "section and paragraph" of policy to justify an action probably is not the way to go.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of North Carolina Woodworker will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of North Carolina Woodworker, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of North Carolina Woodworker reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger, first of all, you did a great job. And second you raise a very interesting point(s). Below is the standard boilerplate supplied by vBulletin and is in fact what you agreed to when you first registered. With only a few modifications this should serve our purposes, but so far hasn't.
During, those first few months of operation, 2005 2006, I was doing all the moderation. I knew the tone of the site that I wanted to create. I guess I added a few simple rules of about a paragraph.

When we started to have formal moderators, the questions from the moderators to me and each other seem to require more and more detail, until we got what we have been living with since 08/06. Now we are about to expand it again.:elvis: Is it really necessary? I don't know, But we are certainly spending more time and effort on it than we should.

While it may have been my idea, being able or required to reference "section and paragraph" of policy to justify an action probably is not the way to go.

Heck, the boilerplate looks good to me :rolleyes:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS