Woodwright's school

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
[FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif][FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif] February 2009 [/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif][FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif] Issue No. 1 [/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif][FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif][FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif] The Woodwright's School[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Hand Tool Woodworking with Roy Underhill[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]
5.jpg

[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT] Dear Woodworker,

This is our first newsletter announcing our first class. We're starting off easy with a one day class for all levels.

Our benches are in, I'm busy sharpening planes and chisels
and we're looking forward to having you visit!

This e-mail newsletter has nice pictures of the shop so be sure to click on the "show images" button on your browser if you don't see them.

[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Reserve your bench for our first class! [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]One-Day Workshop in Dovetail and Mortise & Tenon Technique[/FONT]
4.jpg
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Working with our vintage tools at your individual Hoffman & Hammer large German bench, you'll learn to cut the signature joints of traditional woodworking. Tools and wood provided.[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]We'll begin by laying out and cutting classic through-dovetails using hand tool technique. Next comes half blind dovetails for drawer construction and then we'll end the morning with Roy showing his technique for secret miter dovetails. [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Lunch break will give you a chance to explore the shops and restaurants of old Pittsboro. We are right next door to S&T's tin-ceiling soda shop and a block from the General Store Café. Our back door opens right into the City Tap - now serving Red Oak draft! (after class only, please)[/FONT]

3.jpg
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]Class resumes after lunch with a look at mortise and tenon joints for heavy timber frame construction. Back at your bench, you'll work on furniture-sized joinery using vintage mortising chisels, bench hooks and back saws. We'll then drawbore the joints and move on to demonstrations of specialty mortise and tenon work such as the scribed sash joint. [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]You'll take home samples of your chest and drawer joints along with the skills to continue in the more advanced classes coming at the Woodwright's School. [/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif]
Four Dates: [/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif] Saturday, February 28, 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif] Sunday, March 1, 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif] Saturday, March 7, 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond,Times New Roman,Times,serif] Sunday, March 8, 2009[/FONT]
Time: 9 AM to 5:30 PM[/FONT]

$95[/FONT]

If you would like to reserve one of our ten benches for this workshop, please e-mail me by clicking this link . Let me know what day you prefer and what other days are acceptable. I'll get back to you with further details.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

7.jpg

We're delighted to be in Pittsboro and appreciate the great welcome from everyone. We still live in Williamsburg, Virginia so I am at the school now only a few days of the week. Stop in to visit when you can.

If you peek in on Tuesday, February 24th you may see the editor of Popular Woodworking, Christopher Schwarz and staff photographer Al Parrish working with me on a toolchest-building article for the magazine.

Thanks for your support! I'll be back in touch with information on more classes and events at the Woodwright's School.

Sincerely,
Roy Underhill
The Woodwright's School

Pittsboro, NC

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Looks like fun ... I could probably do it on Saturday or Sunday.

UPDATE: I dropped Roy an email to check availability. If Saturday is available, I think I'm going to do that. Sounds like good fun.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Boy, I hope I'm not too late. I was thinking about it last night when I received the newsletter and just sent him an email now. I asked for the 7th.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I'm in the March 1 class. It seems a few of you emailed him after I posted my little trip to his school last week. He wrote me and said he had gotten a spike in emails and thinks it was my post that did it. Let's hope he's successful. And I hope to see some of you there!

AAAndrew

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I'm in for the 7th! Sweet! :)

I was one that emailed him after your post Andrew. I asked to be on his mailing list; I'm psyched that I'm going to be taught by the guy I watch on TV almost daily.

dougkull

New User
Doug
I am confirmed for the Feb 28th class and looking forward to it.

If there are any folks in the Charlotte area interested in carpooling let me know. I would be more than happy to drive.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I am confirmed for the Feb 28th class and looking forward to it.

If there are any folks in the Charlotte area interested in carpooling let me know. I would be more than happy to drive.

Looks like there are about 4 from Charlotte/Concord area (so far) ... so a carpool is in order. We can arrange in another thread though.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I emailed a little while ago and got a quick reply that there are still openings on 3/1,7 & 8 right now.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I've e-mailed, and gone to the Woodright School site but have had difficulty getting in contact. For those who have done it, how do you get on Roy's newsletter list. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS