Woodwright School - Box Making Class this Saturday with Roy Underhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I have a wonderful opportunity for the first person that can confirm they are able to take my place for this box making class with Bill Anderson and Roy Underhill. It's this Saturday. I've paid for the class but can't make it. Roy Underhill has agreed to let me give it away to someone here. If interested and you can confirm attendance, private message me.

Description:
Looking forward to seeing you all this Saturday! Class begins at 9 am, but come a few minutes early top claim a bench, sign waviers, etc. This will be an intense workshop, especially if you are a beginner woodworker. However, we specialize in beginners and I have put a lot of thought into this project and the workflow to make it happen in one day. Roy will be joining us as an instructor as well, so you can be assured that this will be a very enjoyable experience!

In the past, the workshop has gone as late at 9:30 pm and one time I even had to invite a couple of my students to come to my shop at a later date to finish things out! Part of this failing was my teaching skills and part of it was the complexity of the project versus the skill level of the students. So every year I have been working to define this project to make it both doable and an interesting and presentable item.

This year the box will be available in either mahogany (actually Sapele, but known as African mahogany), and cherry. There will be enough box material for some of you to attempt 2 boxes. I would only recommend this if you have actually cut a dovetail by hand, if you are very facile at layout, and if you are adept at ganging your work up. The box will be 7” long, 3” high and 4” wide. The carcase will be dovetailed. The bottom will be pressure fitted in (tapered edges), the top will be rabbeted in tightly. If finished out properly, the box will look a bit like a puzzle as it will have no front or back! There will be options to mold the top edges of the top (round over, bevel, ogee molding). In addition, I have become interested in compass-made designs (very ancient and quite interesting and simple to do) to decorate the top and/or sides and offer an interesting painting opportunity. As usual, the inside of the box (the bottom) will be lined with several choices of brocade fabric. I should have some finished out examples of both wood styles, plus variations on top edge treatments. I have a story board made with compass designs for your inspiration.

The goal will be to complete the joinery (dovetails) prior to lunch, then spend the afternoon doing the top and bottom and decorations and lining, etc. Again, I would expect that the workshop will go long.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
A Charlotte woodworker will be taking my place. Thanks to all that sent me a message. I'm sorry I didn't have enough spaces for everyone.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
A Charlotte woodworker will be taking my place. Thanks to all that sent me a message. I'm sorry I didn't have enough spaces for everyone.

Kent that was a nice gesture indeed. That should be fun.

For anyone out there that would like to build a sliding dovetail box, send me a pm and you can come to Durham for a session one on one. The box will be a little different but the skills will be about the same. Well not really.. I'm not Roy Underhill but I do have a mustache.

later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors