Woodworking Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I am looking to purchase an iPod touch for the first time ever. I really don’t know much about them or what they can really do. My question is; Are there any woodworking apps out there? Are they any good? Thanks.

Red

decibel

New User
Patrick
Well there some apps out there like a level and plum bob, protractor etc something like this.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ihandy-carpenter/id293621500?mt=8

Of course I'm terrified of doing something stupid and breaking mine out in the shop for the most part I keep it put up but there are some handy ones out there. The question is are they useful when you're out in the shop with the real thing so is it handy or just "cool" :dontknow:

On second thought you may be asking about other types of apps, I use a calculator and unit conversion apps sometimes when I'm flopping back and forth between metric and imperial. Also use it to pull up some documents in a pinch since I don't have a full blown pc in the shop.. I'm using the iPhone but the iPod touch seems to be the same minus the cellular radios a couple other minor things.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I am looking to purchase an iPod touch for the first time ever. I really don’t know much about them or what they can really do. My question is; Are there any woodworking apps out there? Are they any good? Thanks.

I'm looking for an app that I can use to take a closeup picture of a small part a finished project (using the built-in camera) - I want it to analyze the picture and tell me how I screwed up the finish!

:dontknow:

ehpoole

Ethan
I'm looking for an app that I can use to take a closeup picture of a small part a finished project (using the built-in camera) - I want it to analyze the picture and tell me how I screwed up the finish!
:dontknow:

Mistake #1: Trying to take a close-up pic using the @#^% internal camera!
Mistake #2: Dropping said camera on said finish before it fully cures.
Mistake #3: See mistake #1.

Hope the diagnosis proves helpful! :rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
If an ipod is like banksia pod I'd like to turn one! Are they big enough for a cigar kit?
I haven't felt so old as in the past year.
My daughter threatened to throw out all my cd's (SHE cajoled me into leaving vinyl) and putting all my music on some m3p thing.... She laughed at me when I asked how much the player for that costs.
Years ago they threatened us with metric, now where are we heading?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My question is: what kind of things would WWers like to have handy in the workshop on a mobile device?

- board-foot calculator?
- wood movement calculator?
- wood species information? pictures?
- finish mixing recipes?

I've been working on an Android app in my spare time - it might be fun to do a little something WWing related. Sorry, that wouldn't help the original poster (or any other iUsers).

decibel

New User
Patrick
Well that's sounds like an awesome app since I just started on the apple atform I might be interested in porting it to the apple devices. I hate the closed nature of apple's platform I won't start an iPhone vs android debate :) so merrill how about you open source your app and let us geeky ncwwers get in on it :)

:wsmile:
My question is: what kind of things would WWers like to have handy in the workshop on a mobile device?

- board-foot calculator?
- finish mixing recipes?

I've been working on an Android app in my spare time - it might be fun to do a little something WWing related. Sorry, that wouldn't help the original poster (or any other iUsers).

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
- board-foot calculator?
- finish mixing recipes?

The woodshop widget has those features. It has a board foot calculator that you can enter the price per BF and it will tell you the total price. It has fraction to decimal calculator/decimal to fraction. Board movement calculator which you can pick wood type, thickness, humidity level, and temp. shellac mix calculator. and squareness calculator.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The woodshop widget has those features. It has a board foot calculator that you can enter the price per BF and it will tell you the total price. It has fraction to decimal calculator/decimal to fraction. Board movement calculator which you can pick wood type, thickness, humidity level, and temp. shellac mix calculator. and squareness calculator.

Yeah, I know - that's where I got those ideas! Unfortunately, that app only runs on iDevices...which I do not own.

<PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>
I'm only interested in building for Android - primarily so I know that my app will see the light of day because it will not be subject to the random whims of the Steve Jobs supreme court.
</PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Yeah, I know - that's where I got those ideas! Unfortunately, that app only runs on iDevices...which I do not own.

<PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>
I'm only interested in building for Android - primarily so I know that my app will see the light of day because it will not be subject to the random whims of the Steve Jobs supreme court.
</PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>

Yeah I have an ipod touch. I refuse to get an iphone due to the fact that AT&T (in my opinion) is crap, largely in part to the fact that they don't have service at my house. My wife's family is an Apple family through and through. I actually just picked up my first macbook. My wife just got a Droid phone, and I have to say, me likey!!

No flame suit needed. I like apple products, but like most everyone else, I do not like how they do their business.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
No flame suit needed. I like apple products, but like most everyone else, I do not like how they do their business.

I actually like Apple and their products - my first computer (1983) was an Apple ][+. I still have it. They build GREAT products. In general, I'm neutral on their business practices - it's their product, they can do whatever they want. It's hard to argue with their success. From a developers perspective though, they've put too much risk into the environment for me to want to spend time developing for their mobile platform. Plus, I think Android is going to clean their clock...just like PC clones/DOS/Windows did 2 decades ago. I had hoped they had learned their lesson, but maybe not.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks everyone. I thought there was going to be more out there, but I guess not. Thanks.

Red

Woodmolds

Tony
User

<PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>
</PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>

An app very similar to Woodshop Widget would be great. Neat, clean, simple. There seems to be no indication it will be ported to android, but there seems to be a lot of interest. I would like to see it or one very similar for the androids. It would be well worth paying for, to me.

Tony

dlrion

New User
Dan
I will be interested in seeing this come to fruition also.

I was telling myself that people have been doing woodworking for thousands of years without technology like this.... so what is this going to significantly contribute?

Then I got to thinking... :eusa_thin

The two best Segmenters I know, Earl, and Charlie, are both technology heavy. Charlie uses an AutoCad Program to virtually build his bowls ahead of time. Earl uses a computer program that will do something similar.

I would like to see a browser based segmented bowl designer. One where you have several text boxes to modify the rings for popular segment numbers, and diameters. Everything I know of is overly complicated or expensive.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I just thought of this, but if you could take a picture of something and somehow convert it to a scrollable pattern, this would also be useful. Seems like this would be significantly harder to do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS