Woodworkers Bench and gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this woodworkers bench from McRabbet (Rob Payne). He was helping the widow of a deceased woodworker. It looked a little rough, was pretty rickety and needed resurfacing.

Here are the results:

I added the drawers and a second stretcher in front to add stability. You can't rock it now. The drawers were supposed to have drawer fronts but the pecan I used (a lot of powder post beetle issues, hence a shop project, not furniture) had so much figure, I couldn't cover them up. My first half-blind dove tails. Went to a lot of trouble setting the dovetails to cover the rabbit then put them in backwards (all 36 of them) so the rabbits show. :BangHead:

But all in all, they are pretty and functional and the full slides are great.

I used this new baby to make the dovetails:

Now I need to make tool trays and stuff for the drawers.

M

McRabbet

Steve,

You sure did a great job with the bench rebuild! Wow! It sure is much better and will be vastly more functional that before. Great job! BTW, I covet your 24" PC Omnijig! I came real close to buying one at the IWF in Atlanta a few weeks ago and may regret that I didn't. Oh well, there's always Christmas...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Steve, I was there when you were finishing the top and when you were making the drawers. That is gonna be one solid bench. The drawers were about half ready when I was there. I can't wait to see it finished.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I stopped at Steve's tonite and will say that the top is absolutely beautiful.The figure in that top,you almost should not use it for a workbench.The drawers came out great too,the boxes are too nice to cover up.Very sturdy with the cabinet,definitely got some ideas for my own bench.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very Kewl!!

Don't feel bad about doing the backwards thing. I still do it quite regularly myself.........:embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bench! What species is it made of?

The bench is 2.5" thick beech. The drawers are solid pecan with 1/4" oak plywood bottoms. I just got two woodworkers vises in an auction today. Can't wait to see them and replace the one on the bench (if they are in better shape, both have dogs, the current one does not.)

Very Kewl!!

Don't feel bad about doing the backwards thing. I still do it quite regularly myself.........:embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

Travis,

Usually I'm in a hurry, make a mistake then slap my forehead. This time I went slowly, ran extra material for trial fits and tested the rabbit to make sure it was aligned then started the dovetails from the wrong edge. That 1 small step of picking up the trial joint to verify my memory about which edge to align, at least I was consistant through all 36 drawer parts.

Thanks for the kind words though. If we learn from our mistakes they at least count for something.

Steve

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis,

Usually I'm in a hurry, make a mistake then slap my forehead. This time I went slowly, ran extra material for trial fits and tested the rabbit to make sure it was aligned then started the dovetails from the wrong edge. That 1 small step of picking up the trial joint to verify my memory about which edge to align, at least I was consistant through all 36 drawer parts.

Thanks for the kind words though. If we learn from our mistakes they at least count for something.

Steve

We should start a thread for our worst screw ups. I think my worst most recent one is making 14 drawers 1" too wide. The bad part of it was I glued, nailed, and screwed every part to ensure they were strong. As you did, I double and triple checked everything and then forgot to subtract 1" for drawer slides. It always seems to be something that makes you slap your head as you said and think what am I doing!!!! Handcutting dovetails is hard, keeping everything in check, in line, and in order to do any type of project is more than hard, it is a challenge!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I can't see the rabbet design modification you mention. All I see is a very nice looking workbench. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The only ones who would notice that are WWers...and most WWers would probably commiserate with you on the drawer bottom rabbet trick. Well, at least I would. :eusa_doh:

I clicked on a few pics and enlarged them. The bench looks great. The wood grain and figure are beautiful. The workmanship is very nice, You should be very proud of the finished product. You have enhanced the looks, the strength, and functionality of the bench.

Please post pics once you get the vise(s) mounted.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS