Woodwind prototype made in MDF; WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
My Irish Uilleann pipes, which I made in 1983 of Mexican Rosewood and brass, are currently what is called a "half-set":

UP_half-set_dscf0372.jpg

which means they have a chanter (melody pipe) and drones (steady bass), but do not have what are called "regulators", closed keyed pipes that provide rythmic accompaniment, and correspond roughly to the buttons on the left-hand of an accordion.

The difficulty of traditional construction of regulators is they are conical bored, which means expensive reamers are needed. Turns out, however, that a tapered bore doesn't have to be round, it can be flat-sided as long as the cross-sectional area is the same. I found out about this in this article on how to Make a Square Uilleann Pipe Chanter and have adapted this to plans for a regulator.

As per the suggestions there, I'm experimenting with inexpensive materials to gain experience:

Regulator-baritone-pieces-dscf0506.jpg

The MDF top, bottom and sides were shaped using masonite templates on the router table; the faces have been rabetted for the sides after drilling the key holes. After gluing up, the tenons were turned on the lathe:

Reg-on-lathe-dscf0513.jpg

I did run into a little turning problem with between centers capacity due to the 13-3/4 inch length of the baritone regulator (note the tailstock position!).

After making key blocks, an aluminum ferrule, a rosewood plug and bead for the tuning pin, this is how it looks assembled (sans keys):

Regulator_baritone-MDF-asm-dscf0532.jpg

The key blocks are ordinary half-round molding; the ferrule is shown fitted with the plug and tuning-pin (the pin goes through a cork inside the ferrule). I'm thinking over two different designs for making the keys, and may remove the blocks in favor of another design involving brass plates affixed to the sides. Once I get all the details worked out, I have a nice piece of Honduras Mahogany to use for the "real thing".

John

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Saaaaa-WEEEEEEET!!!

Wanna share the love on how that is made! That would be a great way to express my Irish Roots!!!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'd bet that what you have described in a few sentences and pics has taken a lot of time to pull together into a final plan. Hat's off for your diligence and patience. That is a cool looking design. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Is rosewood selected for its resonant/tonal properties?

Chuck

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I'd bet that what you have described in a few sentences and pics has taken a lot of time to pull together into a final plan. Hat's off for your diligence and patience. That is a cool looking design. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Is rosewood selected for its resonant/tonal properties?

Chuck

Rosewood was selected for the pipes because it was what I had available at the time; I had looked after mail for a friend who went to visit her woodturner boyfriend in Mexico, and she rewarded me with a box of rosewood scraps. It's a suitable hardwood, good and dense which gives a certain sound, though being one of the most silacaceous woods it's hard on the cutting tools.

The bead and plug for the regulator comes from the same quarter-century old batch of rosewood.

John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Saaaaa-WEEEEEEET!!!

Wanna share the love on how that is made! That would be a great way to express my Irish Roots!!!

The pipes (and the internal area for the regulator) are based on the plans in "The Irish Bagpipes, Their Construction and Maintenance" by Wilbert Garvin, Blackstaff Press, Belfast. It showed up as still available on a google a few months back. There are occasionally other sources of plans from various makers.

The major parts of a UP are not difficult to make; they're all basically cylinders with cylindrical bores, the chanter and optional regulators being the exceptions already noted. Drones are simply turned to a cylinder, end bored on the lathe, then turned to shape around their bores. A cylindrical main stock with 5 bores holds the drones and tenor and baritone regulators, the bag can be made from cowhide or the hide of the Giant Nauga which I slew singlehandedly and used instead :lol:

Air to a UP is provided by a bellows that straps to the waist and works by the elbow.

HTH, John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I should mention that most pipers start with a practice set, which consists of only the bag, bellows and chanter, and with Craig Fischer's square chanter technique this becomes a very easy project to build. If one learns the pipes and takes to it, drones can be added later, as well as the optional 2 (a 3/4 set) or 3 (full set) regulators.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS