Wooden Toys & Happy Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I made my first wooden toy cars, from Wayne L. Kadar's "101 Outstanding Wooden Toy and Children's Furniture Projects." As may be seen, my grandson Nathan is very happy with his first wooden car.

Wood_Car_Nathan-dscf0794.jpg

My grand-daughter Clara told me how much Nathan liked his car, and wanted one too, so I gave her the second car, a "sedan."

Wood_Car_Clara-dscf0788.jpg

The book mentioned is really excellent, all the info about how to make good, sturdy, toddler-safe toys, and they are easy enough that even I can make them, and the "customers" don't care about minor mistakes. :icon_thum

John

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
Thats really neat! It's always nice when you can make a child happy. :eusa_clap One question though, what kind of finish did you use? I may make a little something for a few "customers" I know.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Thats really neat! It's always nice when you can make a child happy. :eusa_clap One question though, what kind of finish did you use? I may make a little something for a few "customers" I know.

I used Min-Wax polyurethane, which I had on hand. The book says the following:

"...Varnish is an excellent method. The varnishes available on the market today are compounds of plasticized resins that dry to a very hard, resilient protective surface. These types hold up well to the heavy use and abuse a child's toy might be subjected to. The only caution is that you read the instructions on the can to ensure there is no health threat to yougsters. Also be sure to allow more than ample time for the varnish to dry prior to the child playing with the toy. Often harmful fumes or chemicals are present as the varnish is drying that are not present after it dries."

"A final type of finish that can be applies to wood toys are penetration oil finishes. These are oily substances that are absorbed into the pores of the wood and solidify to protect the wood. Check the individual brand of penetration oils for its recommended use. Many can be safely used for such projects as bread boards, fruit bowels, and other projects meant to be in contact with food."

"If you use penetration oils, be sure to allow the project to sit for 30 days after oil has been applied, to allow total solidificatin of the oils in the wood pores. After this length of time, the chemicals in penetration oils should be nontoxic.
"

The book also mentions paints, with all the same hazard awareness warnings.

HTH, John

mcoston2

New User
michael
Great job on the cars..:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Great job on making those smiles. That is what it is all about.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors