Wood Recommended for Garden Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Cardais

New User
ScottC
I'm building a pair of garden gates for a 5' wide opening. Each gate will be approx 2 1/2' wide by 6' tall.

The gates will be stained, not painted.

For our climate in the Asheville, NC area, what wood is recommended for this purpose? So far, I'm considering Western Red Cedar, Cypress or White Oak.

Any problems or issues with any of these woods for an outdoor application?

Any better choice readily available from local sources?

Thanks,

Scott
Saluda, NC

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would go with the WO, with a preference for QS. All those woods will weather pretty well but the others are much softer and I would worry about fasteners working loose or boards warping over time. Gates have a lot of stress. they also tend to get bumped and the others dent much easier.

M

McRabbet

Scott, I would also recommend White Oak, but another choice might be Black Locust if you can find it. White Oak does not do real well embedded in the ground, so you might consider concrete posts built up to ground level with embedded fasteners to secure your posts (I'd pour them into the round cardboard forms available at Lowe's into good deep holes (36" - 42"). Locust won't rot and White Oak is tough stuff -- Make a visit to Mountain Sawyers and they'll fix you up, I'm sure.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Scott, check out IPE very resistent to moisture and the elements. I know there is a guy up your way but I cant remember his name. you can google it. thats how I found him.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Scott
I'll add a vote for WO from your woods listed.
Black Locust would be my choice I think, but I'd price Ipe if you can find it locally and compare.
My niece's husband bought Ipe for their deck, I think he said he got it at Jennings Hardware in Transylvania County (Brevard).

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I vote for cypress of the ones listed. If you use good fasteners I believe the cypress will still be standing when the WO is gone. Black Locust would be ideal though. Another thought, hickory. Alot of tools handles are made of the stuff.

NH2NC

New User
Eric
I second Zach's vote. Cypress. I've delt with it on may occasions and it holds up very well.

On the other hand :icon_scra...I can't speak as to how it takes stain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS