wood lathe duplicator needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
I need to purchase duplicator that is easy to use. I know very little about wood. I cut steel all my life in machine shop. I am retired now and make things for myself and family in my guarge. I can use new one or used one. I got central machinery lathe 12 x 36 sku number T34706.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Jeff,
I have one I would be willing to sell, Its a delta, I believe. However, unless youre making many of the same turnings, I dont think it is worth it. Once you learn the proper method to do spindle turning, it is far simpler (and a much better end result) to make 4 legs by hand. Just my opinion...

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have a duplicator that is hanging on the wall in my shop gathering dust...I found it so much harder to use than just turning each one that I gave up on it. I don't know if I'll ever get the duplicator down from the wall... it stands as a reminder to me that I should hone my skills. :D

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In my mind a duplicator is a roughing tool, you still need to finish turn or sand each piece. I would only use a duplicator if I needed more than a hundred pieces the same.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jeff, if you turn each leg you will increase your skill and get to practice coves and beads. As long as you have all the elements reasonably similar, the finished product will look fine. Like Mike said, you don't need a duplicator unless you are in the business.

Roy G

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
Thanks everyone for the answer. I would only make about 4 legs a month, if that many. I bought two wood master planners thinking it would take two for me. Turns out 1 was plenty. I never even plug one them up. I just now put it on craige list at big loss. I got a lot learn in this wood cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS