Wood Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I agree with Matthew, if TB Original is good enough for Malcolm Tibbetts, "King of Segmented Turning", (my opinion), it's good enough for me. It's all I use on my turnings. I used TB III one time. I didn't like the way it dried. It seemed "rubbery". A couple of months after completion I could feel every joint.

I have learned that TB Original will stick to most anything. When first starting in segmenting I glued up the segments on 3/16" tempered glass. I left some overnight. The next day I had to hit them with a hammer to free them from the glass. In some cases the glass actually chipped, leaving fragments on the wood segment. I now do glue up on plastic coated freezer paper.

As stated by others, if I was building something for outdoor use, I would probably use TBIII. For everything else I will use TB Original. It works for me.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I agree with Matthew, if TB Original is good enough for Malcolm Tibbetts, "King of Segmented Turning", (my opinion), it's good enough for me. It's all I use on my turnings. I used TB III one time. I didn't like the way it dried. It seemed "rubbery". A couple of months after completion I could feel every joint.

I have learned that TB Original will stick to most anything. When first starting in segmenting I glued up the segments on 3/16" tempered glass. I left some overnight. The next day I had to hit them with a hammer to free them from the glass. In some cases the glass actually chipped, leaving fragments on the wood segment. I now do glue up on plastic coated freezer paper.

As stated by others, if I was building something for outdoor use, I would probably use TBIII. For everything else I will use TB Original. It works for me.

Charlie, don't want to hijack this thread, but on your recommendation I purchased Malcolm's book. I think your work is nicer than his. :)

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Willem, Thanks for the complement. I have noticed recently that Malcolm has gone away from what I call "traditional" segmented turning, i.e, vases, etc. He is more into sculptures, etc. I guess after doing something for over 20 years it's more difficult to come up with traditional ideas. A lot of his items are not my style, but he amazes me in his design creations and craftsmanship. He is a true artist. I would love to meet him someday and see some of his work firsthand. Matthew was fortunate to meet him last year at a symposium in Utah.

shortz1lla

New User
Joe
I use TB3 for almost everything too, but I would recommend original TB for a project that will NEVER be outside... It is exponentially thicker than TB3 and is much easier to clean up.
For application, I use a small container from the dollar store, and a rubber spatula from the same. It applies really easy and when dry, you simply flex the spatula head and peel the dried glue off.

thsb

New User
Tim
I have used Titebond original for tables and everything else except cutting boards and when i ran out of titebond original when i was trying to finish something.

Should i worry that my dining table, which is covered with shellac and water based polyurethane, could have something spill on it and then have joints weakened?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, the good news is if it falls apart you know how to put it back together. The bad news is you may not ever get to prove you can.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used Titebond original for tables and everything else except cutting boards and when i ran out of titebond original when i was trying to finish something.

Should i worry that my dining table, which is covered with shellac and water based polyurethane, could have something spill on it and then have joints weakened?

No. The best way to reverse TB 1, 2 or 3 is to heat the joint and expose to steam. Even then you have to use significant effort to pry the joint apart.

suntzumd

New User
suntzumd
Working on my first project, a Westport Chair that I plan to leave on a covered porch. Making it out of Cypress. Would you all recommend TBII or TBIII?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Working on my first project, a Westport Chair that I plan to leave on a covered porch. Making it out of Cypress. Would you all recommend TBII or TBIII?

Yes. :rotflm:

Either will probably be fine, especially covered. They do claim a little more water resistance with III, but I would not be afraid to use either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS