Wood from across the pond ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I know nothing about wood from across the pond - What is this chunk of wood? Mahogany? :dontknow:

0103122213a.jpg

0103122214a.jpg

0103122214b.jpg

M

McRabbet

My guess is African Mahogany, particularly the second and third pictures. Compare them here.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Trying to identify an unknown wood from a photo is nearly impossible, especially with with woods that are similar in appearance to mahogany. It would be helpful to have more information about where, when, and how you obtained it, some idea of its density, etc. A wood expert can have difficulties identifying some species even if they have the wood in their hand.

Based on these photos alone, this could be sapele, African mahogany, Honduran mahogany, andiroba, or any one of a number of less common species from Africa, Central America, or South America. Part of the problem with any photo is how true the color rendering is. We have no way of knowing that, and so relying on color alone does not have any validity. The ribbon stripe figure in quartersawn lumber occurs in each of the species that I mentioned above, so again that does not narrow it down much. Since those are the only two features that we have to deal with, we're at a dead end.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but perhaps if additional information could be provided, we could narrow it down some.

Matt

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Chris's must think alike :rotflm:. My gut reaction was sapele as well, but as Matt said it could be any one of a number of species.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Chris, you need to come back out sometime. gather a bunch of other forum folks and make a trip out of it

Chris

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Chris, you need to come back out sometime. gather a bunch of other forum folks and make a trip out of it

Chris

I'll be out soon, probably with the wife. We need to pick up a little more of that basswood for some over-window shelves she wants in the kitchen. Hopefully you have some left? If not, maybe some poplar?

Not sure if we can do this Sat, but just in case will you be in Boykins Sat?

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS