wood drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
You can do it yourself at home by building a sterilization box out of foam board. I believe that there was an article in the December '10 FWW magazine about it.

Sorry, but I don't get that magazine. If its not in Wood or Woodworking Journal, I haven't read it.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Kevin, air drying time depends upon species, thickness, geographic area and time of year. In our area, if you mill 4/4 oak this week, it will air dry down below 20% in about 65 days. That same oak, milled in November, will require about 120 days. 8/4 oak milled this week will require about 280 days, milled in November 8/4 oak will require about 270 days.

I know this has already been covered once in this thread, and Scott discussed it already, but I think there was a typo still. How does 2" thick oak need 280 days right now, during the hotter faster drying time, vs the same 2" thick oak needing ten FEWER days to dry if you cut it in November, the cooler slower drying time?

The way this is written makes one think that if you want to cut 1" thick oak, then do it now and it will dry faster. But, if you want two inch thick oak, then wait until November, because it will dry faster in November by a margin of ten days.

Methinks this should be 180 days and 270, rather than 280 and 270.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; just trying to clarify because it's not making sense to me. :dontknow:

Thanks

Ben

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I know this has already been covered once in this thread, and Scott discussed it already, but I think there was a typo still. How does 2" thick oak need 280 days right now, during the hotter faster drying time, vs the same 2" thick oak needing ten FEWER days to dry if you cut it in November, the cooler slower drying time?

The way this is written makes one think that if you want to cut 1" thick oak, then do it now and it will dry faster. But, if you want two inch thick oak, then wait until November, because it will dry faster in November by a margin of ten days.

Methinks this should be 180 days and 270, rather than 280 and 270.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; just trying to clarify because it's not making sense to me. :dontknow:

Thanks

Ben

Ben, it was not a typo. Let me explain it this way.

Envision a 1/4 mile drag race between two vehicles. Vehicle A launches off the line at 100 mph, and then gradually slows down to 20mph, and then slowly speeds back up to 90 mph.

Vehicle B launches off the line at 20mph, and steadily speeds up until it hits 100 mph.

The two vehicles spend the same amount of time at each speed, with the exception that Vehicle A spends one second longer at 20 MPH than Vehicle B, and Vehicle B spends one second longer at 100mph than Vehicle A.

The outcome is that Vehicle B will pass Vehicle A just before the finish line, because it had more time spent at the faster speed, and thus it will finish the race in less time, even though it started at a slower speed.

It's the same thing with the drying schedules in the two examples. Because the November wood spends more time drying at a faster rate, even though it started slow it still dries in less overall time.

Clear as mud? :gar-La;

There is another dimension to all of this too though, and that is the quality of the wood. I can stick 8/4 oak in my kiln and crank the heat up and dry it in a month, but the wood would be damaged beyond use. If the surface dried too quickly on thick oak, it will shrink and check, thus damaging the lumber. It is important to dry it at a slow enough rate so that the interior and exterior of the wood is within few percentage points.

Scott

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I knew if you dumbed it down enough I would get it :) Thanks for taking the time, Scott. Maybe I outta lay off these painkillers so early in the day. I thought with all these trees down you wouldn't be online for weeks to come.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I thought with all these trees down you wouldn't be online for weeks to come.

Ben, I only get the really big ones, and of the storm trees only when they have been uprooted. If the trunks split on them, the log will have "shake" in it and it's not worth the time or expense to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS