Wood Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
What would be a good complementary or contrasting wood to use with cocobolo? My brother saw a small cocobolo bowl that I had made and he liked it. So I am thinking about either making a platter or a bandsaw bowl for him and his wife for Christmas. But was thinking about using 2 woods. Any ideas or if you have pictures of some you have made in the past that would be great

Thanks

Chris

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Before you settle on anything, be aware that the cocobolo colors will bleed into the adjacent wood. Cocobolo is extremely oily and will transfer it's dark color onto a lighter colored wood it butts up against. This can be minimized by spraying a couple coats of shellac on first to seal the wood, but I do not think you can eliminate the problem. Do a test piece first before you spend a lot of time on a finished product. Matt...

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I've used quite a bit of cocobolo as accent wood with birdseye and other figured maple woods and have had great success with it,one thing to be very carefull of.is the finish you use as some will cause the color to bleed out.My finish of choice has always been a danish oil mixture that I mix myself ( cheaper that way) good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS